I can't run tools of new version

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

EarthCrash
Kobold

I can't run tools of new version

Post by EarthCrash »

i've got new version of chartool(1.b11) and initiativetool(1.1.b7)
but i can't successfully run them.
they said

Unable to load the settings file: C:\Do~~~~~~~\dnd4e.rpgame
No Settings have been loaded.

but i can see that 'dnd4e.rpgame' file is exist in correct directory.
so, send the tools to friend and make try to run. but failed to run by same error.
do you can run that tools? how can i do for this problem?

jay
RPTools Team

Re: I can't run tools of new version

Post by jay »

Are you running it from Web Start or have you downloaded the zip file? If you used web start then download the zip file, unzip it, and execute the launch bat file from a command prompt. See if there are any other messages in the command prompt. The other thing you can try is to download the file dnd4e file directly from RPTools and then load the file using Game->Select Game from the menu bar. You may want to delete the .chartool directory which is the parent of the one that contains the file that wouldn't work before you run CT.

EarthCrash
Kobold

Post by EarthCrash »

used to both method for test. and First was zip file.
And I was downloaded dnd4e file from this site. but i can't use that because program is even can't popup.(if running the chartool, it's permanently stop when loading bar is full)

surely, i was try to delete .chartool directory and excute the program. and even replace the dnd4e file in .chartool/game(which directly downloaded file). but still i can't.

This is really odd because no one discussion this trouble but all of my guys suffer that.
is somebody experience this situation?

ah, funny thing is i can run inittool even got error message.(error message is same with chartool) so, i was download directly the other rpgame file(ex:d20fantasy.rpgame), and load the file by Game->Select Game from menu bar. and so program is work correctly! only dnd4e file is not work. testing for chartool was impossible because that is even can't run.

Jalella
Kobold

Post by Jalella »

I have the same problem. Does anybody have a solution yet?
The "dnd4e.rpgame" file is in the correct directory and it is unzippable so it seems to be ok. But I got this error message "unable to load the settings file .." all the time.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Have you ran the program in the console yet? If not could you and see if there is an exception displayed in it. You can run it from the console by selecting the Lunch.bat file in the directory where you unzipped the file you downloaded. Post the text of the exception here and I'll see if I can figure out the problem.

EarthCrash
Kobold

Post by EarthCrash »

there is no exception console message, and program loading progress bar is stop forever after error dialog window was poped up.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The last thing I can suggest is that you clean out everything and start over. Delete the .chartool directory, clear your preferences (On Windows us regedit and delete the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\rptools\chartool), delete your current zip file and its contents. Then re-download the zip file and run it again.

If it still fails, I'm out of things to try. I did find a place in the code where it was causing the exception that kept the window from opening. That fix will be in the next release. If you would like I can make a special build and email it to you to try out. It might get you a little further.

Return to “CharacterTool”