Where to begin?

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

pwcroft
Kobold

Where to begin?

Post by pwcroft »

Okay, so I'm new to CharTool.

I've created several token properties that I would like to retain outside of the campaign -- and so that they will update as things change within the game, and I understand CharTool is the way to accomplish this.

But how do I link the properties in MT with CT? So very lost...

Tuzon
Kobold

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Tuzon »

I am with this guy. I dl'd the latest build of each and bueno por nada. So then I got the biggest of each and still got the 'unexpected error has occurred' when I try to open a .rptok I created in CT in MT. Then when I tried to reopen it in CT same thing. Is there something I am missing? Is rptools just too complicated for an idiot to use? Is there a known compatible build copy of each that I might considered stable?
~Sue me if I play too long~
1977 Becker & Fagen
G-RIP
TUZON
KURALT
SHELLEA

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

pwcroft wrote:Okay, so I'm new to CharTool.

I've created several token properties that I would like to retain outside of the campaign -- and so that they will update as things change within the game, and I understand CharTool is the way to accomplish this.

But how do I link the properties in MT with CT? So very lost...
The properties in CT and MT are linked by a game settings file. There are instructions on how to edit one in this forum, but you have to do it by hand. If you are just going to use a small number of properties in MT then it is best to define them there and define macros to edit them.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Tuzon wrote:I am with this guy. I dl'd the latest build of each and bueno por nada. So then I got the biggest of each and still got the 'unexpected error has occurred' when I try to open a .rptok I created in CT in MT. Then when I tried to reopen it in CT same thing. Is there something I am missing? Is rptools just too complicated for an idiot to use? Is there a known compatible build copy of each that I might considered stable?
Could you attach the file you're having problems with? What game settings file are you using?

Tuzon
Kobold

Post by Tuzon »

XP home
default memory & stack settings
Tried it with the default, basic4e[deviantnulls?] and Veg2.1.5_framework .cmpgn
MT 1.3.b61
CT 1.0.b13
TT.rptok
(211.6 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
error details.txt
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
1977 Becker & Fagen
G-RIP
TUZON
KURALT
SHELLEA

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

In the content.xml file it is calling out powers that the properties file does not have. So it is looking for macro buttons that do not exist.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Tuzon wrote:XP home
default memory & stack settings
Tried it with the default, basic4e[deviantnulls?] and Veg2.1.5_framework .cmpgn
MT 1.3.b61
CT 1.0.b13
I took a look at your file and found the problem. It appears that the code that wrote the XML messed them up some how. The label for the macro is contained in the wrong element and a bunch of other properties are missing. The problem is how to recreate it so I can fix it. I tried making a new character with my latest code and it worked. I also tried making a new character with the b13 build and it worked. I did have some problems with older versions of the tool, but I don't remember having your file's specific problem. Which version of CT did you use to create the .rptok file?

Tuzon
Kobold

Post by Tuzon »

I think it was b12. I will try it with b13.

Did, works well. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
1977 Becker & Fagen
G-RIP
TUZON
KURALT
SHELLEA

Return to “CharacterTool”