Character Tool Instructions?

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Character Tool Instructions?

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Would you know who is fixing rplib?
Talk to Azhrei. He did some changes to try to get internationalization to work and there were issues with BOM characters corrupting the image assets. He said the other day he was going to try to get build 72 out this weekend with a fixed rplib, but that did not seem to happen...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:
jay wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Would you know who is fixing rplib?
Talk to Azhrei. He did some changes to try to get internationalization to work and there were issues with BOM characters corrupting the image assets. He said the other day he was going to try to get build 72 out this weekend with a fixed rplib, but that did not seem to happen...
Correct. I broke b120 by trying to add charset support for the file I/O methods that perform the reads and writes to ZIP files. It was not directly related to the XML BOM because doing all I/O in UTF-8 means a BOM isn't required, but the concept is similar.

I've just been too busy to get it put back together. My current state is that I've re-engineered the file I/O stuff so that binary methods are clearly distinguished from text-based methods, thus allowing the methods to perform UTF-8 conversion as needed.

Jay, I plan to create a set of methods as described above, then provide a thin veneer that provides backward compatibility with the other *Tool applications. Long term though the other apps will need to be updated so that they properly support localization. (The current code treats all text using the current locale settings which means exporting some text and reading it back in won't work in all locales.)

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

When i go to select game, nothing happens... fresh install from b13 on winxp and java 6.21
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Did you see any exceptions? Were you running from web start or from the zip file? Sometimes web start fails to read the game settings files properly.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

No exceptions, would have posted those, did run from webstart and manual download...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

sjnicholsjr
Kobold

Post by sjnicholsjr »

When I try to switch to d20 3.5 it pops up with this error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Invalid property descriptor data.
This only seems to happen with b13, I tried b12 and its fine.

EDIT:: Sorry, I'm using the zip file and Java 6.21

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

That particular problem is fixed in the next release. It should be available soon, we're getting ready to push it.

tsinglett
Kobold

Post by tsinglett »

I am (hoping) to start a D&D 3.5 game with my friends, and was wondering how best to import characters from CT to MT. I looked around to try to find the framework, but was left clueless. Then I realized that I would also need tokens. How do I drag my image? Out of tokentool into CT? Or am I just not understanding anything.

Any help would be great, thanks

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

First you need to set Character Tool (CT) in D&D 3.5 mode:
  1. Choose Game -> Select Game... from the CT Menu
  2. In the list of Other Game Settings Files in the Select Game dialog choose the d20 3.5 -vN (where N is the version number)
  3. Select the Change button
  4. Press OK
That will give you a blank 3.5 character sheet. To add your token to that:
  1. Click the gray box above the Skills table.
  2. The Change Image dialog pops up. The current version has a bug that makes you need to re-size the window to see it properly.
  3. Click the ... button
  4. Find the token that you saved from Token Tool
  5. Click the Open button to use that token. It will show up in the dialog
  6. Click the OK button and it will be added to the character
To move the new character in CT to Map Tool (MT):
  1. Select File -> Save from the CT menu.
  2. Enter a file name and click the Save button
  3. Start MT
  4. Drag the file you created above onto the map.
The token should show up.

The 3.5 CT rule set doesn't have any support for any of the MT frameworks, but the token will have the name and token displayed.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

jfrazierjr wrote:
jay wrote:I've finished testing CT and now I'm testing IT. I've upgraded everything to the latest libraries that MT is using. So it should be out this week, unless I run into some big problem. No instructions other than looking at what I developed for the two frameworks that are already there. Its been so long since I worked on them I don't remember what I was doing :oops:. The Pathfinder file is still pretty much a copy of D&D 3e with a little work done on the skills. I don't have the pathfinder rules so I can't really do much to the file.
Careful, I think the rplib(build 120) is broken, so you may want to check it out. I believe this is the part that caused B71 to be yanked as assets were written in a format that could not be read back in on a different machine that did not already have that asset locally.
i havent run into that problem and am working on seperate pcs of which i know they dont have all the assets locally

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Jay has built new versions of CT and IT. I will get them uploaded sometime this weekend, but I'm not familiar with those two projects so I haven't looked at the push techniques at all yet. Just FYI there are new versions coming...

Flynn
Kobold

Post by Flynn »

Azhrei wrote:Jay has built new versions of CT and IT. I will get them uploaded sometime this weekend, but I'm not familiar with those two projects so I haven't looked at the push techniques at all yet. Just FYI there are new versions coming...
When I try to select new a new game, I get a NullPointerException:

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.jeta.forms.components.panel.FormPanel.getFormContainer(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.setTitle(AbstractDialog.java:210)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.construct(AbstractDialog.java:174)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.<init>(AbstractDialog.java:107)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.GameSelectionDialog.<init>(GameSelectionDialog.java:204)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.GameMenuController$1.actionPerformed(GameMenuController.java:111)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
	at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI.doClick(TinyMenuItemUI.java:571)
	at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(TinyMenuItemUI.java:421)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.LoggingEventQueue.dispatchEvent(LoggingEventQueue.java:74)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
I'm using the JNLP that I downloaded from the website to launch Character Tool.

With Regards,
Flynn

steamboat28
Kobold

Post by steamboat28 »

jay wrote:The 3.5 CT rule set doesn't have any support for any of the MT frameworks, but the token will have the name and token displayed.
Is this still the case? I built a character in the Pathfinder.rpgame setting, and imported it to MT (in the latest version of lmarkus FW), added the token image I wanted (since I couldn't figure out how to do so in CT), and changed the Properties setting to use Pathfinder, and...none of the information but the Character Name was imported.

Did I do this right, and it's just something with the tools interactivity? Or did I do something wrong?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

steamboat28 wrote:
jay wrote:The 3.5 CT rule set doesn't have any support for any of the MT frameworks, but the token will have the name and token displayed.
Is this still the case?
I think you answered your own question.

In order to support a particular FW, CharTool would need to know which token properties are used by each FW and how to format the content for those properties. That means multiple, different configurations, one per FW. And since the FWs change on a fairly frequent basis, it's not practical for CT to try to keep up.

steamboat28
Kobold

Post by steamboat28 »

Azhrei wrote: In order to support a particular FW, CharTool would need to know which token properties are used by each FW and how to format the content for those properties. That means multiple, different configurations, one per FW. And since the FWs change on a fairly frequent basis, it's not practical for CT to try to keep up.
Is this something the community of RPTools users could come together to standardize? Have maybe a set standard list for every game system, starting with the most popular, and populate said list with nearly every variable conceivable for that sort of thing? Would that make it easier?

I'm still new to this, but I promise the only thing keeping me from shouting it from the rooftops is that there is a whole suite of programs, they just don't work together.

Return to “CharacterTool”