Can't read database for 4e support files?

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Toldain
Kobold

Can't read database for 4e support files?

Post by Toldain »

I downloaded CharacterTool to my MacOS system. I have Snow Leopard and the latest Java for it. I started it up and set it to use the 4e support.

When I go to select it under the Game menu, I get a popup loading screen that gets 10 percent done, and then an error popup shows up. It says:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Problem accessing the database.

Which database is that? Do I need to install something? Enter a password? What's up?

Toldain
Kobold

Re: Can't read database for 4e support files?

Post by Toldain »

I just discovered something important. I had a second copy of CharacterTool running that I didn't know about.

Probably the web start version I was playing with yesterday.

In any case, I killed it off and tried reloading the 4e stuff and this time it worked!

So it sounds like a permissions/file locking sort of issue.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The database that I use places a lock on its files while it is using them when in embedded mode. Until I can switch this to something better, you can only run one instance of CT and one instance of IT at a time.

Toldain
Kobold

Post by Toldain »

I figured as much. Let me just clarify. I can run both CT and IT at the same time, the locks don't conflict? Color me surprised, I would have thought there was overlap in the database stuff they access.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

CT & IT do not conflict. They don't actually share a database, yet. Part of my fixes are to make that work. Then I'll be able to write editors for them that will update both at the same time.

Return to “CharacterTool”