game setting tool

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

lakota
Kobold

game setting tool

Post by lakota »

Ok I am new here and was looking around i opened up a program and have a game settings tool that looks like it is a combination of initiated and character tools.
it has tabs for Combatant Categories, timer types, wait states, image files, form files, named scripts, data types, custom properties, IT miscellaneous, CT miscellaneous, and Phases.
i have no real programing experience.
so is there documentation how to use this.or could some one explain the individual tabs to me please.
i am expecting to have to move in a few months for work and don't want to lose my gaming group.
the tools look really good here. and i am eager to jump in with both feet. some miscellaneous example would be great.

thank you for your time.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: game setting tool

Post by Azhrei »

Most of the documentation is focused around MapTool.

If you check the main site's Tools page you'll find that there are basically five tools. They are each described on that page with just a single sentence, then the links will get you more information.

Anyway, as I said, MapTool gets the most attention and one of the users here (hi brad!) has put together some screencasts of what that particular tool looks like in use. Visit the Tutorials page (there's a link in the toolbar on the main site) and from there you'll get to the tutorials. They are broken down into GM and Player categories so that players don't have to watch videos that won't apply to them. :)

So far no one has done similar videos for the other tools but it would be awesome if someone wanted to step up and do one demonstration of each tool; just 2-3 minutes on each one would probably be plenty...

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Well, Brad does have a video for TokenTool too. Which might explain why I (a relative newcomer) know how to use TokenTool, but still have no idea about InitiativeTool, CharacterTool, or DiceTool. :wink:
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Huh. Y'know, I never knew there was a TT screencast! Learn something new every month... 8)

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

But yeah, I'd love a good video tutorial for CharacterTool, especially about how to add rulesets other than 4e to it. (Or especially how to make my own ruleset to put into it.)
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The game settings tool was never finished. I've not gotten back to it in awhile. The only way to update the files right now is to edit them manually. Look at the Adopters threads for instructions on how to do this.

Return to “CharacterTool”