Call for Volunteers

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Call for Volunteers

Post by jay »

I'd like to request some volunteers that can work on the individual game files. I would like to have a player for each of the supported games (d20 3.5, Heroes, Savage Worlds, GURPS and D&D 4e) adopt a game settings file and enhance and maintain it. I'd like this for a couple of reasons. First off I don't play all of those games, so I don't know the rules very well. I wouldn't be able to asses the incoming requests for changes to make sure they were valid and I don't own the rulebooks to look them up. The second reason is that I want all of the game files to get the enhancements and bug fixes you need for them in a timely manner. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do that for all the supported games and still make code upgrades to CT & IT.

The main requirement of a game settings file adopter is that you play the game. You do not need to know how to code Java, I'll still be doing that. You do not need to know any scripting language although it would be useful for you to know one of them and JavaScript in particular. It would also be useful for you to know your way around and XML file, but again that is not a hard requirement. You do not need to know how to use the Abeille form designer, but that would help you out too.

You would be responsible for keeping in contact with the people who use your game settings file. You would also be responsible for the coordination of upgrades and problem fixes of your game settings file. You would be responsible for testing your game settings file to make sure it works with each new release of CT. I would teach you how to change these files, and I will eventually provide an editor to help with this. I would also help with scripting, Abeille support, and for enhancements & bug fixes to CT.

If you are interested just post what you would like to work on here or PM me. Thanks for your support!

wacko76
Cave Troll

Post by wacko76 »

Ahem, I could maintain a "The Dark Eye" settings file, if there was one :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
http://www.helden-software.de

I posted a request for Character Tool support in the forum of my Character generator.

I would love to create a settings file for CT (and MT, IT, DT), if I knew how.

When will we get a unified setting file format for MT, IT, DT and CT?

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I'll step up for 4e. I've got some xml experience, with C#, no JavaScript experience.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Let me look at my time constraints. I'll take Hero System and Action! System (should it get implemented) if my time will allow it.

By game file are you referring to the character.xml file or something else?
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

I can assist UntoldGlory on the D&D 4e as that is the game I will be DMing real soon.

I have some experience in xml, javascript and the Abeille form designer.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Fobbo wrote:I have some experience in xml, javascript and the Abeille form designer.
Sounds like I should assist you then! :lol:

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

How accessible is setting this up from a noob standpoint? I'm reasonably not unsmart but don't have any background in languages (aside from bad English). Are there some tutorials somewhere to point me in the right direction?
I cast firecube! ~4E

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

wacko76 wrote:Ahem, I could maintain a "The Dark Eye" settings file, if there was one :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
http://www.helden-software.de

I posted a request for Character Tool support in the forum of my Character generator.
I've not forgotten you, but all of a sudden I'm really busy :) I've had lots of requests for new game files since CT came out and The Dark Eye is right after theLevitator's game which I'll start after I hand off D&D 4e to it's new owner. If you would like to create your own Dark Eye topic where we can talk over what you would like to see, talk about the rules and describe how things work we can get the planning part out of the way.
wacko76 wrote:I would love to create a settings file for CT (and MT, IT, DT), if I knew how.
Right now it isn't an easy thing to do. I'm kinda stuck between helping everybody with their game files and creating an editor for them. Since I think the game files themselves are more important (and editors aren't fun to program :wink:) I've been giving them priority.
wacko76 wrote:When will we get a unified setting file format for MT, IT, DT and CT?
CT & IT use the same file. MT has a campaign configuration file, but it is separate and owned by Trevor. I have no idea if he wants to combine them or not. DT doesn't have a configuration file, we actually use the die rolling parser as a library in MT, IT, & CT. In MT you use it when you write a macro and in IT/CT it is used as a scripting language.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

An editor makes alot of sense Jay. That way you can go through 1 big pain in the butt, but the untrained but enthusiastic masses (*raises hand*) can handle a bunch of grunt work. Good thinking.

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

UntoldGlory wrote:
Fobbo wrote:I have some experience in xml, javascript and the Abeille form designer.
Sounds like I should assist you then! :lol:
Trust me, my experience with the languages and tools is limited. But I can hammer through it with some examples, trial and error and of course luck.

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

Jay depending on how long it will take you to create an editor could you maybe get some of us started on creating the settings files?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

RPMiller wrote:Let me look at my time constraints. I'll take Hero System and Action! System (should it get implemented) if my time will allow it.

By game file are you referring to the character.xml file or something else?
By game file I mean the file that is used to configure CT to work for a particular game. I;ve also called it a game settings file in my posts, but they are referring to the same file. The character.xml file is something different.

I've got a game settings file for Hero going, you should take a look and see what needs to be fixed. The Action! System is on the waiting list.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Jector wrote:How accessible is setting this up from a noob standpoint? I'm reasonably not unsmart but don't have any background in languages (aside from bad English). Are there some tutorials somewhere to point me in the right direction?
Right now it isn't very friendly at all. I want to fix that, but it is going to take awhile. However, right now everybody is a noob, including me, so you are welcome to learn along with the rest of us :) I'm going to start a thread here as a tutorial for all of the file adopters. It will be fairly technical since there isn't an editor yet, but we have to start somewhere.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Roger that. I'll lurk about and fiddle around with things as we go.
I cast firecube! ~4E

kasrith
Kobold

Post by kasrith »

I already sent a PM, but I'll post here too. I am interested in helping with 4e. I have C# and XML experience, and more than willing to spend time learning this.

<edit> Oh, I received the email. Thanks for keeping me informed.

Return to “CharacterTool”