CharTool 1 build 13 won't work with D20 3.5

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Jim McNett
Kobold

CharTool 1 build 13 won't work with D20 3.5

Post by Jim McNett »

Hi,

I am new to MapTool and CharTool. When I try to run CharTool with the 3.5 game option I get a java IllegalStateExcption error. Are there any builds of the CharTool that work with D20 3.5 edition?

Jim

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: CharTool 1 build 13 won't work with D20 3.5

Post by jfrazierjr »

Jim McNett wrote:Hi,

I am new to MapTool and CharTool. When I try to run CharTool with the 3.5 game option I get a java IllegalStateExcption error. Are there any builds of the CharTool that work with D20 3.5 edition?

Jim
Download or webstart? If webstart, try the download.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

DegenerateSoulDM
Kobold

Post by DegenerateSoulDM »

I get the same Java Error on builds 13 and 15. Had to go back to 12 in order to get the d20 3.5 sheet to load. I tried running both versions (13 and 15) from web launch and from file launch and they both error out repeatedly.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Someone who's receiving this error should provide a copy of the stacktrace. (Assuming that CT provides a backtrace. I don't typically use CT so I don't even know. :?)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Also, did you download the zip file or launch it from the web page? If you launched it then you should download the zip, extract the files and run the batch or script file for your system to start it.

ruzalr
Kobold

Post by ruzalr »

Here's a backtrace from charttool 1.0 build 15:

Code: Select all

Nov 7, 2010 6:05:53 PM net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile readXMLObject
WARNING: Invalid XML in path: 'property/propertyDescriptorSet.xml'
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: A 'MAP' property can not have a default value.
---- Debugging information ----
class               : net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertyDescriptorSet
required-type       : net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertyDescriptor
line number         : 207
-------------------------------
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertyDescriptor$PropertyDescriptorConverter.unmarshal(PropertyDescriptor.java:817)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:82)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:76)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:60)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.xml.ConverterSupport.readNode(ConverterSupport.java:223)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertyDescriptorMap$PropertyDescriptorMapConverter.unmarshal(PropertyDescriptorMap.java:483)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:82)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:76)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:60)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertyDescriptorSet$PropertyDescriptorSetConverter.unmarshal(PropertyDescriptorSet.java:491)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.start(TreeUnmarshaller.java:137)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.unmarshal(AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.java:33)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:923)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:909)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:881)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile.readXMLObject(PropertySettingsFile.java:244)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile.getPropertyDescriptors(PropertySettingsFile.java:580)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile.installPropertySettings(PropertySettingsFile.java:880)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.CharToolSettingsFile.installCharToolGameSettings(CharToolSettingsFile.java:121)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.CharToolGameSettings.installGameSettings(CharToolGameSettings.java:181)
	at net.rptools.chartool.model.CharToolPreferences$1.run(CharToolPreferences.java:316)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.Utilities$ProgressWorker.doInBackground(Utilities.java:1189)
	at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:278)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
	at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:317)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Jim McNett
Kobold

Post by Jim McNett »

I downloaded build 12. That did work. Thanks for the help.

Return to “CharacterTool”