First try and a few comments (and a bug)

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I agree with you completely. The wizard in DMGenie simplifies things greatly. But, the intent of CT wasn't to be a character generator. It's designed to help a player manage their characters during game night. We decided, write or wrong, when we first started creating CT that there were plenty of character creation programs available. So rather than reinvent the wheel, again, we would create a tool that would help with online play, since that is where we specialize.

Having said that, there isn't any reason why you couldn't add a character generation wizard to any of the game settings files. Since CT is fully scripted you can do pretty much anything you want with it. The underlying data structures were from a previous design for a character creator program I was writing before I started helping with RPTools. So it is able to support that as well. Also, I am happy to add any specific functionality needed to help with character creation.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

It would be great to have a "cradle to grave" program that interacts directly with maptools. A "one stop character shop" if you will.

The only problem I've found with that sort of thing is that they require constant updating as new classes, skills, spells, powers, feats, kitchen sinks, equipment comes out. After a while they tend towards uselessness.

I know it's too much to ask, but I hope DDI's character tool has a was to export to xml, or some other text format we can then import into character tool, since they're supposedly going to stay up to date.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Constant maintenance is always a problem. That is why I think it is important to have somebody assigned to the game settings files that knows the game and can add new data & fix problems.

Kzintzi
Giant

Post by Kzintzi »

Hi Jay

firstly the CT looks great (as said by others :)) and when the fixes are put in it'll be even better...

Can you tell me where the game format files are stored so I can have a look at them? are they easily edited and/or created?? Of course I know I can get the source and look at them that way, but I was hoping they'd be easily accessable another way (so people can edit them "on the fly" as it were).

Thanks.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

CT places them in the C:\Documents and Settings\user-name\.chartool\game directory after the first time it is run. Editing the files is kind of a pain right now, as I've not finished the file editor. But it is possible to unzip the .rpgame files and change things. See the Adopters: topics on this forum for details.

Return to “CharacterTool”