Game Settings File - D&D 4th Edition - Update 07/8

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Fobbo
Giant

Game Settings File - D&D 4th Edition - Update 07/8

Post by Fobbo »

First I wanted to thank all the volunteers who have taken time out of the schedule to assist in creating the D&D 4th Edition Game Settings File.

This will be the place to give updates on your progress, ask any questions regarding anything involved with the game settings file and to ask for any assistance in the scripting portion. Please keep the specific powers information down to a minimum so that we can do our best not to violate any copyright or GSL issues.

We have the following volunteers:

Untoldglory
Kasrith
jstgtpaid
Fobbo

I know I have made some assignments via pm and email. Please hold off on them for just a little bit. I may reassign you guys.

edit:
Ok stick with the assignments already given.

Please send me your powers.rpdat files as you see fit. Can be once a week, when you get a lot of powers entered, when you have all the powers entered, it really doesn't matter. I will consolidate what you send me and send that off to Jay for implementation.

Here is a list of the database files that need to be update and who is assigned to them as of 7/8:

armor.rpdat - Fobbo - Complete
class.rpdat - Fobbo
modifier.rpdat - Fobbo
power.rpdat - Untoldglory, Kasrith, jstgtpaid
race.rpdat - Fobbo - Complete
weapon.rpdat - Fobbo - Complete

I know it looks like I have a lot but the other rpdat files does not take a lot to update. The powers.rpdat file is by far the largest and more complex

Update 6/27:

If you require any forms change please send the request to me. We need one person responsible for this as there seems to be no good way of doing patches for it. If you have already done any forms changes please email me the form.

Update 07/8:

We have updated the power.rpdat file with data from the TK spreadsheet. (Thank you TK and jstgtpaid). This gives us a very good starting point. Added to the To Do List: make sure properties and data work in MT.
Last edited by Fobbo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I don't suppose any of you could whip out a concat app like kat2cute's for doing macros? (LINK) Might speed things up. I could probablly do it in C# as a desktop app, but something web based would be better.

rdarsque
Kobold

Post by rdarsque »

I am really looking forward to seeing all this come together, keep up the good work folks 8)

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

UntoldGlory wrote:I don't suppose any of you could whip out a concat app like kat2cute's for doing macros? (LINK) Might speed things up. I could probablly do it in C# as a desktop app, but something web based would be better.
I certainly could see the usefulness in something like that. I will take a look at it. As long as it won't take to long, I will try to get 'er done.

kasrith
Kobold

Post by kasrith »

I am just looking over kat2cute's code and thinking about modifying it to suit our needs. I am going to talk to kat2cute first.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Something I noticed when looking over wizard powers, and I need to mention it to Kat as well, but the "defense" really needs to be a check box, not a radio button, as things like prismatic spray roll their attack against Fort, Ref, and Will at the same time, with the same attack roll.

Drif
Kobold

Post by Drif »

Hello every one. I am very new to this whole play online thing. Ever since WotC announced DDi I have been realy ecited about it, but it has not happend yet so after looking in the gleemax forums I found this tool to play online. I will say I love the tools in here. I think I am a decent computer savy person and have learned the maptools decently. I have downloaded the DT, IT, and the CT. The only thing is that CT only give me 3.5 version.

I have noticed you guys are working on a 4e version of the CT. My question is once it is done are you guys going to share or is every one going to have to do there own thing.

If you guys are going to share how do we get it for 4e unstead of just the 3.5 version. I am thinking since you are posting in the forums you will be sharing.

The other question is with the GSL are you guys going to leave out the powers and we will just have to put those in our selfs?

Thanks for any ansewrs to these question. Sorry if these sound like noob question but I think I am a noob to this stuf.

MacPharlan
Giant

4e

Post by MacPharlan »

I was wondering that also. I noticed the screens were 4e but when I downloaded it was 3.5:)

kasrith
Kobold

Post by kasrith »

Of course we will share! I mean, isn't that the purpose of this site?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Drif wrote:I have noticed you guys are working on a 4e version of the CT. My question is once it is done are you guys going to share or is every one going to have to do there own thing.
I'll make them share :P

Trevor and I have discussed the possibility of making the 4e file a separate download. The reason for this would be to keep us having to remove CT from the site if WotC got angry with us. I may even upgrade the dialog so you can load game settings files directly from the internet. That way they will look like they are in CT, and will be very easy to share with all of your players. Have to think about that some more. But there will definitely be a 4e file for everybody (unless WotC sicks some lawyers on us :roll:).

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

jay wrote: (unless WotC sicks some lawyers on us :roll:).
At which point the file will just have to be passed around viral style by end users instead of RPTools developers.

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

Jay a few questions for you.

1.) I have entered all the data for the weapon and armor rpdat files. I then ran the build xml and created the game files. However on the drop down list for both it does not list the weapons or armors.

2.) In the modifiers.rpdat for armor how are we handling skill and speed penalties?

3.) In the modifiers.rpdat for weapons how are we handling high crit weapons when a character starts to get in the high levels?

Thank you

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Going up in levels and it's effect on powers is something I too have wondered about in a "sick to the stomach" sort of way. I mean, in the case of chartool I suppose we'll be fine since we can use scripting to check level, then list damage based on level, but I guess mostly I was thinking about macros.

Also, I can't think if we've covered this or not, but is there any way we can set this up so that if you've chosen your power in Ctool, then export into Maptool, that your powers macros could be in your token automatically? This seems like the kind of design question that should be brought up early on in the development. It would be great if we could, because it would sure save a lot of duplication of effort, especially since I and a few others are working on the combined 4e macros list and then turning around to enter powers into Ctool as well.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

UntoldGlory wrote: Also, I can't think if we've covered this or not, but is there any way we can set this up so that if you've chosen your power in Ctool, then export into Maptool, that your powers macros could be in your token automatically? This seems like the kind of design question that should be brought up early on in the development. It would be great if we could, because it would sure save a lot of duplication of effort, especially since I and a few others are working on the combined 4e macros list and then turning around to enter powers into Ctool as well.
Yea, I asked this exact same question to Jay on another thread a few days ago. I think this is very important since a) I would not want to have to re-enter powers as macros or b) would not want 1000s of macros predefined when I just need 10 or so for each token to accommodate the 4E powers.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

DM to first level Wizard: "What do you do?"

1st Level wizard fires off "Wandering Tornado"

DM: "Umm, that's a 27th level Ranger ability."

Wizard: *shrug* "I had a macro for it..."

Return to “CharacterTool”