Looks really cool but...

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

salmelo
Giant

Looks really cool but...

Post by salmelo »

It looks like it could be areally cool tool once it's done, especially if it gets that online host thingy they were talking about on another thread, but it doesn't work, I don't mean it's not very good, or not well done, I mean it doesn't work. It displays a white screen, and the menus, nothing else, except if i choose GURPS i get some fancy little grey rectangles. Since other people are still talking about it, I assume the problem is something local and not the program itself, so does anyone have any ideas how i could fix it so i can use it?

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

When I first opened the chartool the window was blank. I noticed there was a window bar located just underneath the tab. I moved this bar down and I was able to see the character sheet.

Try that and see if you get the character sheet to view...

salmelo
Giant

Post by salmelo »

well, i don't feel stupid now......

rdarsque
Kobold

Post by rdarsque »

S'ok youre not the only one that thought that when you first opened it :lol:

There are a great team of people working very hard on getting this going and I have full confidence in seeing great improvements in the near future.
Those Points of Light might just be Magic Missiles headed your way :shock:

Minions are your friend - Gotta love those mob rules and swarm charges on the meat shields with an immortality complex :D

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

This is a bug I've fixed for the next release. This bug has caused more problems than all of the rest of them :oops:

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

hehehe. Would have snagged me at first too, but I was stuck at work while it tripped other people up, so was expecting it.

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

The character tool is great and I am looking forward to the 4e version. Check out the sister tools like Maptool! I have just started playing with that rascal myself and it is amazing...

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Two questions:

1) can/have we talked about property names to coincide with the eventual integration of CharacterTool, InitTool, and Maptool? I would hate to have to ask hundreds or thousands(dare I say millions????) of people to modify their maptool properties and existing tokens to be able to take advantage of the init/char tool features.

2) along the same lines as above, since Maptool allows short names for properties with the parenthesis syntax, I want to make sure that Chartool development does not cause a problem with things like Craft (Alchemy) and other such things. I don't have a specific fix in mind other than changing the format in on tool or another to use some other type of delimiter. Of course, if the property is stored internally in chartool without the parenthesis, then this probably wont be a problem.

Joe
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

jfrazierjr wrote:1) can/have we talked about property names to coincide with the eventual integration of CharacterTool, InitTool, and Maptool? I would hate to have to ask hundreds or thousands(dare I say millions????) of people to modify their maptool properties and existing tokens to be able to take advantage of the init/char tool features.
The Map Tool and Character Tool property sets are completely separate. Changing either doesn't really effect the other. The Character Tool property set does have a way to tie to a property to its Map Tool equivalent, but any mismatches are ignored on both sides.
jfrazierjr wrote:2) along the same lines as above, since Maptool allows short names for properties with the parenthesis syntax, I want to make sure that Chartool development does not cause a problem with things like Craft (Alchemy) and other such things. I don't have a specific fix in mind other than changing the format in on tool or another to use some other type of delimiter. Of course, if the property is stored internally in chartool without the parenthesis, then this probably wont be a problem.
Character Tool has a display property that is different than the actual property name so there aren't any problems with 'Craft (Alchemy)' being displayed to the user and craftAlchemy being the name of the actual property. The existing d20 game settings file shows this.

Return to “CharacterTool”