Would love to use it, but it won't start...

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Rumble
Deity

Would love to use it, but it won't start...

Post by Rumble »

Okay, so I'm a first-time user of CharTool, but it's failing to start. I'm getting an "unexpected error" (love those error messages). I'm running it on a Mac, with OSX 10.4.whatever-is-the-latest. Has anyone else run into this - and hopefully, found the solution?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The first thing to do is check the version of Java on your Mac. Character Tool requires Java 6, but Apple hasn't supported Java 6 on the older Mac's. There is a open source installation of Java 6 here. I don't know if it works or how well it is supported. I don't have a Mac available to me so I'm not able to do any testing on it. If you have Java 6 installed and you are still having problems I'll be happy to help you get them fixed. Sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'll give that Java 6 port a look; I figured it was something like that. It's not a problem - I've got other computers to try! Thanks for the advice.

iNati
Kobold

Post by iNati »

I too am experiencing the same problem. I am using OSX 10.5 I tired to use the soylatte JSE, but I couldn't figure out how to get the sucker installed properly. I instead went to the apple website where they had a new java update for 64 bit Macs that says it supports JSE6. I DLed that and with some configuration, the program now doesn't spit out an unexpected error message. Instead, it crashes while the RPTools splash with the progress bar at the bottom is on screen. Ugh.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I was working with Ully on the Init Tool forum to try and get the Mac working with Java 6. It seems that they implement the internal scripting support differently and it can't find the JavaScript language even when Ully included it explicitly. I just have no way to test on a Mac and I wasn't able to find any info on the Mac implementation of scripting would tell me what I needed to know. I'm hoping it is just a configuration problem, but I couldn't find any details about it. I don't know if Ully ever tried using soylatte.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I tried soylatte too, but it didn't work. I just gave up - I'll use my PC.

iNati
Kobold

Post by iNati »

Fairly problematic then...

I don't suppose there is any way for you to ask the devs over at apple to help with the problem is there? :)

I read the post in the IT thread, and it is beyond my cope of understanding :oops:

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

I have character tool 0.1b8 working under mac os x --well it starts up and I fiddled with it a little but haven't given it a thorough work through.

I am running OS X 10.5 and have downloaded and installed the java for 10.5 Update 1 from apple which contains java 6 which can be found at
Apple Mac OS X Java 6
You may have to register on the developer site to get it, basic registration is free.

Download the JSR 223 scripting engine
JSR 223 Scripting Engines
Unzip the file
Copy jsr223-engines/javascript/build/js-engine.jar to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/lib/ext/

Download Rhino the mozilla javascript implementation
[url=ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/rhino1_7R1.zip]Rhino[/url]
unzip the file
Copy rhino1_7R1/js.jar to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/lib/ext/

To test the setup go into terminal

Code: Select all

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/
./jrunscript 
You should see a prompt something like

rhino-nonjdk> 
At which point you can type in some javascript to test it out, so if you type print("Hello world") it should look something like

rhino-nonjdk> 	print("Hello world")
Hello world
rhino-nonjdk> 
Remember that you need to run char too with java 6 so edit what ever method you use to try run it (I just use the shell script from terminal)
to use /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java
You should now be able to run character tool

I am not sure if soylatte includes the javascripting stuff you can probably test by running the jrunscript in the soylatte distribution. If it doesn't then a similar procedure should work for it.

I only have dialup up for next couple of weeks so there is no chance of me being able to download the soylatte build and test that at the moment, if people are still having troubles trying to get the tools that include javascript running on soylatte when I have broadband again I can have a look at it.

Hope this helps Craig

Ully
Kobold

Post by Ully »

Thanks, Craig. This sounds promising.
Craig wrote:Remember that you need to run char too with java 6 so edit what ever method you use to try run it (I just use the shell script from terminal) to use /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java
I've copied the JSR 223 scripting engine and Mozilla's javascript implementation to the correct places, but since I'm not that much of a Terminal jockey, I need a little help with this last piece.

What should my Launch InitTool.sh file look like in order to invoke these components?

Thanks!

Ully

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Ully wrote:Thanks, Craig. This sounds promising.
Craig wrote:Remember that you need to run char too with java 6 so edit what ever method you use to try run it (I just use the shell script from terminal) to use /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java
I've copied the JSR 223 scripting engine and Mozilla's javascript implementation to the correct places, but since I'm not that much of a Terminal jockey, I need a little help with this last piece.

What should my Launch InitTool.sh file look like in order to invoke these components?

Thanks!

Ully

For Launch CharTool.sh I have

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java -Xmx128M -jar chartool-*.jar run
For Launch InitTool.sh I have

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java -Xmx128M -jar initiativetool-*.jar run
Then you can just change into the directory they are in using cd
and type either

./Launch\ CharTool.sh
or

./Launch\ InitTool.sh
If you are unsure about using cd to navigate to the correct directory in terminal then just use finder to open the folder that Char/Init tool is in, then in the terminal type cd and drag the little folder icon in the finder toolbar (of the window that is where the tool is ) to terminal and push enter.

Or if you really dont want to use terminal at all then follow the below steps and you can avoid going into terminal completely

copy Launch CharTool.sh to Launch CharTool.command
edit Launch CharTool.command, delete what ever is in the file and replace it with

export COMMAND_NAME=$0
BASE_DIR=$(dirname "${COMMAND_NAME}")
cd ${BASE_DIR}
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java -Xmx128M  -jar chartool-*.jar run &

copy Launch InitTool.sh to Launch InitTool.command
edit Launch InitTool.command, delete what ever is in the file and replace it with

export COMMAND_NAME=$0
BASE_DIR=$(dirname "${COMMAND_NAME}")
cd ${BASE_DIR}
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java -Xmx128M -jar initiativetool-*.jar run &
Make sure you copy the .sh file to .command and not just create a new file as that wont have the correct permissions (and you would have to use terminal to correct this).

Then you can just double click on these new .command files in finder and it will run it for you (just hide or close the terminal window that is also opened).

Craig

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Thank you very much Craig!

Ully
Kobold

Post by Ully »

Thanks for posting step-by-step instructions, Craig. Though I only needed the edits to the .sh file, I can guarantee that the info you posted will help others.

CharTool works with this method, but Jay will need to make some planned changes to InitTool for it to work on the Mac.

And a reminder: The above method only works with the latest 64-bit Intel Macs running Apple's Java 6 implementation and Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later.

Thanks again, Jay and Craig!

iNati
Kobold

Post by iNati »

Works great now :D

I didn't have to mess around with terminal lines or what not. I just opened the Java preferences and gave priority to Java 6, and it runs fine. Thanks for all the help, you really saved us Mac users :)

jmpiazza
Kobold

Post by jmpiazza »

Craig wrote:I am running OS X 10.5 and have downloaded and installed the java for 10.5 Update 1 from apple which contains java 6 which can be found at (URL omitted) Apple Mac OS X Java 6.
You may have to register on the developer site to get it, basic registration is free.
In the hope of helping others, fetching and installing Java 6 shouldn't be necessary by now. By routinely performing Apple's automagic updates, Java 6 should be installed (mine is) but Apple typically does not enable it by default, and sure enough, this was the case for me.

For those who may not know, the easiest (only?) way to enable Java 6 is to launch Java Preferences in the /Applications/Utilities folder. In the bottom pane, I dragged (at this time) Java SE 6 to the top of the list. Then I followed your installation instructions for the JSR 223 scripting engine and Rhino (a rather painless process).
Hope this helps Craig
Yes, it did. Success! Now to play with it... :D

Thanks.

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

I can't get CharTool (0.1b10) to run under Mac OS X 10.5.5. I have JSE 6 and dragged it to the top of the priority list In Java Preferences. CharTool appears to start up (From Web Start), even showing an RPTools logo with green progress bar underneath. Once the progress bar fills up, the application crashes (disappears) with no error message.

Am I still missing something?

I'm really curious about this tool, and am dying to see it in action. Any suggestions?

EDIT / UPDATE:
I found craig's early instructions on downloading and installing JSR 223, and Rhino. Both of those were necessary, though that was a bit more of an involved installation than the other RPTools. Then again, it is still in very early development stages, so I totally understand.

Anyway, it now works. Thank You so much!

Return to “CharacterTool”