Question about some powers

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Question about some powers

Post by UntoldGlory »

There appear to be powers in the derived XML that do not come from the players handbook. Anyone know where these powers are from?

Examples:
<power>
<name>Grasping Shadows</name>
<level>1</level>
<source>Wizard</source>
<flavor>At your command, the shadows reach out, grab hold of your foes, and wreath the area in darkness.</flavor>
<type>Encounter</type>
<keywords>Arcane, Illusion, Implement</keywords>
<action>Standard</action>
<attackTypeAndRange>'Area burst 1 within 10 squares'</attackTypeAndRange>
<target>Each creature in burst</target>
<attack>'Intelligence'<attack>
<attackModifier>Intelligence</attackModifier>
<defense>Will</defense>
<hit>2d8 + Int psychic damage, and target is slowed until the end of your next turn.</hit>
</power>

<power>
<name>Illusory Ambush</name>
<level>1</level>
<source>Wizard</source>
<flavor>You create an illusion of swirling spectral<br>assailants that swarm over your enemy.</flavor>
<type>At-Will</type>
<keywords>Arcane, Illusion, Implement</keywords>
<attackTypeAndRange>'Ranged 10'</attackTypeAndRange>
<target>One creature</target>
<attack>'Intelligence'<attack>
<attackModifier>Intelligence</attackModifier>
<defense>Will</defense>
<hit>1d6 + Int psychic damage, and the target takes a &#8211;2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.</hit>
</power>
I don't plan editing these until I know if they're from an official source or not.

red_tanker
Kobold

Post by red_tanker »

They are from dragon 364, which has a few illusion powers for wizards

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... t/20080616
People make Choices
Choices make People

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I would like to remove these for now. Later I'll implement a way for the DM to import new powers like this. That way a DM can pick and choose what is supported. I believe I saw a bard class in the original file, so watch out for other things like these.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

jay wrote:I would like to remove these for now. Later I'll implement a way for the DM to import new powers like this. That way a DM can pick and choose what is supported. I believe I saw a bard class in the original file, so watch out for other things like these.
Good call. I think working to have a core file all setup correctly first is the way to go. Once other classes come into play, it can get tough trying to get people to collaborate on them if they don't have access to those resources. As long as we'll eventually be able to edit and import various things, other projects can create up to date files from other settings and stuff from DDI

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Another question, perhaps I'm just missing it, but is there not a <special> field in the rpdat? Should I use <notes> instead? I'm running into a lot of wizard powers once you hit the paragon tier that have <special>.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Also, I need to know how to handle weird-o powers like "Prismatic Beams" (page 165). In that power, you roll one attack vs each creature in a blast, but, instead of comparing it to just one defense (like normal), you compare it to all three. It has hit effects for all 3 defenses, and it's an all, some, or none kind of thing. So do I just fill that out like secondary and tertiary attacks, like so:
<power>
<name>Prismatic Beams</name>
<level>15</level>
<source>Wizard</source>
<flavor>Scintillating beams of rainbow-colored light spring from your outstretched hand, affecting your foes in unpredictable ways.</flavor>
<type>Daily</type>
<keywords>Arcane, Fire, Implement, Poison</keywords>
<attackTypeAndRange>'Close burst 5'</attackTypeAndRange>
<target>Each enemy in burst</target>
<attack>'Intelligence'</attack>
<attackModifier></attackModifier>
<defense>Fort</defense>
<hit>If the attack hits the target's Fortitude defense, the target takes 2d6 + Intelligence modifier poison damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).</hit>
<hitDamage>'2d6'</hitDamage>
<hitDamageModifier>root.int.currentMod</hitDamageModifier>
<secondaryTarget>Same Creature</secondaryTarget>
<secondaryAttack>'Intelligence'</secondaryAttack>
<secondaryAttackModifier>root.int.currentMod</secondaryAttackModifier>
<secondaryDefense>Ref</secondaryDefense>
<secondaryHit>If the attack hits the target's Reflex defense, the target takes 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).</secondaryHit>
<secondaryHitDamage>'2d6'</secondaryHitDamage>
<secondaryHitDamageModifier>root.int.currentMod</secondaryHitDamageModifier>
<tertiaryTarget>Same Creature</tertiaryTarget>
<tertiaryAttack>'Intelligence'</tertiaryAttack>
<tertiaryAttackModifier>root.int.currentMod</tertiaryAttackModifier>
<tertiaryDefense>Ref</secondaryDefense>
<tertiaryHit>If the attack hits the target's Will defense, the target is dazed (save ends).</tertiaryHit>
<special>You make only one attack per target, but compare that attack result against all three defenses. A target might be subject to any, all, or none of the effects depending on how many of its defenses were hit. The target must make a saving throw against each ongoing effect separately.</special>
</power>
Or do I use the second and third descriptors, but leave off the attack like so:
<power>
<name>Prismatic Beams</name>
<level>15</level>
<source>Wizard</source>
<flavor>Scintillating beams of rainbow-colored light spring from your outstretched hand, affecting your foes in unpredictable ways.</flavor>
<type>Daily</type>
<keywords>Arcane, Fire, Implement, Poison</keywords>
<attackTypeAndRange>'Close burst 5'</attackTypeAndRange>
<target>Each enemy in burst</target>
<attack>'Intelligence'</attack>
<attackModifier></attackModifier>
<defense>Fort</defense>
<hit>If the attack hits the target's Fortitude defense, the target takes 2d6 + Intelligence modifier poison damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).</hit>
<hitDamage>'2d6'</hitDamage>
<hitDamageModifier>root.int.currentMod</hitDamageModifier>
<secondaryDefense>Ref</secondaryDefense>
<secondaryHit>If the attack hits the target's Reflex defense, the target takes 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).</secondaryHit>
<secondaryHitDamage>'2d6'</secondaryHitDamage>
<secondaryHitDamageModifier>root.int.currentMod</secondaryHitDamageModifier>
<tertiaryDefense>Ref</secondaryDefense>
<tertiaryHit>If the attack hits the target's Will defense, the target is dazed (save ends).</tertiaryHit>
<special>You make only one attack per target, but compare that attack result against all three defenses. A target might be subject to any, all, or none of the effects depending on how many of its defenses were hit. The target must make a saving throw against each ongoing effect separately.</special>
</power>
or do I just do one attack and dump everything weird in the "notes" field?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

UntoldGlory wrote:Another question, perhaps I'm just missing it, but is there not a <special> field in the rpdat? Should I use <notes> instead? I'm running into a lot of wizard powers once you hit the paragon tier that have <special>.
No special field, just use notes. Same thing for 'weapon'. I'm sure there are others.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

UntoldGlory wrote:Also, I need to know how to handle weird-o powers like "Prismatic Beams" (page 165). In that power, you roll one attack vs each creature in a blast, but, instead of comparing it to just one defense (like normal), you compare it to all three.
I think it is best if you use the three attacks. That way the damage can be rolled by CT for each hit. Without the attack defined CT won't know that there are three different types of damage that need to be rolled. When we get targets implemented we can look into just writing a complete script for this power.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Okay, will do, thanks.

Return to “CharacterTool”