Select game box not working

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

totalgeek
Kobold

Select game box not working

Post by totalgeek »

I am planning around with the latest webstart version and now everytime I click on 'select game' in the file menu nothing happens, you click and it just disappears the dialog box no longer comes up. I was trying out the 4E changes to it and it worked for awhile.

I also noticed that when I get it working using the executable jar that it brings up a character I didn't complete, but it has its name in there where is the character database data stored? I wiped out the "x:\users\<name>\.chartools" directory numerou times but it seems to be retrieving character information from somewhere else.

I don't think its from my build of the 4E support since that one has been wiped out as well, and when I open it in ECLIPSE and select 4E there are no problems the tab is empty. Any ideas? I can just start stepping through code if no one knows.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I was able to open the Select game dialog from within Eclipse and it worked fine. I also tried out the zip file, which worked fine. When I tried out the Web Start link it failed. The error I get indicates that it can't find a file that is in the jar. The file is in the jar, so I don't know why Web Start can't find it. So the only thing I can tell you is to download the zip file and run it that way.

CT always brings up the last character file it was editing. Just hit File->New and it will go away. Or you can try the Help->Reset Char Tool menu choice and it will delete preferences as well as the .inittool directory.

totalgeek
Kobold

Post by totalgeek »

jay thanks for the answer. I hit file new several times and have reset it, but it still keeps pulling up this character from somewhere. I don't know where its only in the version I 'webstart'. The version I run from ECLIPSE has no problem at all. I'm using the ECLIPSE version now.

The only problem is I didn't know 4E was supported publicly yet so I committed to using it in a MT game I have coming up next Monday. And I didn't know the powers were not complete yet, but for what is there, this charater tool generator ROCKS! The subversion check out I have seems to only have the powers for Fighters and Rogues.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Hmmmmm.... how odd. I have no idea why they might work differently The file name is stored in the Windows registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\rptools\chartool\preferences\defaultCharacters\tab0 maybe you could find the file name in there?

So far they have only gotten Fighter and Rogue powers entered, which is why we've not released it yet. None of the magic item data is available either. They are getting it all entered though.

totalgeek
Kobold

Post by totalgeek »

FYI finally had a chance to look at this, sorry prepping work for my first MT session YAY! And fooling around with MT code, but I just wiped out the entire key starting at /net and it started working again. I may have had a bad value in there somewhere.

Return to “CharacterTool”