Error running Chartool

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

Error running Chartool

Post by jfrazierjr »

So, I get this error when running Chartool. This happens even when I run the latest zip, the webstart, and even from SVN via Eclipse. The error is:

Problem copying default rptools files. You will need to delete the c:\documents and settings\PROFILE\.chartool directory to be able to start the tool.

Of course, I had deleted the folder but to no avail. Basically, things just hang at this point and I have to hard kill the app since nothing further happens and the splash screen just stays around. Here is the java stack trace:

Jul 25, 2008 11:42:53 PM net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.Utilities updateVersionSpecificFiles
WARNING: Problem copying files
java.io.IOException: Stream closed
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.getInIfOpen(BufferedInputStream.java:134)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:90)
at net.rptools.lib.FileUtil.copy(FileUtil.java:383)
at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.Utilities.updateVersionSpecificFiles(Utilities.java:473)
at net.rptools.chartool.CharTool.loadSettings(CharTool.java:119)
at net.rptools.chartool.CharTool.main(CharTool.java:87)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Problem copying default rptool files.
at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.Utilities.updateVersionSpecificFiles(Utilities.java:504)
at net.rptools.chartool.CharTool.loadSettings(CharTool.java:119)
at net.rptools.chartool.CharTool.main(CharTool.java:87)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Stream closed
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.getInIfOpen(BufferedInputStream.java:134)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:90)
at net.rptools.lib.FileUtil.copy(FileUtil.java:383)
at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.Utilities.updateVersionSpecificFiles(Utilities.java:473)
... 2 more
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

That exception is happening when CT is copying files from the jar file to the file system. I've seen this problem using WebStart when trying to view certain forms, but never with the zip file or with copying the game settings files to the filesystem.

I downloaded the zip file and had it work correctly. I did have to delete .chartool & clear the preferences in the registry because I've been running my updated version which doesn't work with the currently deployed code. The only thing I can think that might be happening is that the zip file you downloaded is corrupt or it was corrupted when it was unzipped. I downloaded a checksum program for windows and this is what it generated for the zip file:

Code: Select all

//
// File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
//
ffa90fd84d3b2ab34b3f793d92f3d1ef c:\documents and settings\jay\workspace\dist\zip\chartool-0.1.b9.zip
If you used the same utility you should get the same results for your zip file.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:That exception is happening when CT is copying files from the jar file to the file system. I've seen this problem using WebStart when trying to view certain forms, but never with the zip file or with copying the game settings files to the filesystem.

I downloaded the zip file and had it work correctly. I did have to delete .chartool & clear the preferences in the registry because I've been running my updated version which doesn't work with the currently deployed code. The only thing I can think that might be happening is that the zip file you downloaded is corrupt or it was corrupted when it was unzipped. I downloaded a checksum program for windows and this is what it generated for the zip file:

Code: Select all

//
// File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
//
ffa90fd84d3b2ab34b3f793d92f3d1ef c:\documents and settings\jay\workspace\dist\zip\chartool-0.1.b9.zip
If you used the same utility you should get the same results for your zip file.
Well, as I said, this even fails from within Eclipse with the latest SVN code. I did not know about the registry, so I also cleared the settings from there under /javasoft/prefs/net.rptoos/chartool but that did not help either...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

If you are running inside of eclipse after you updated you have to build the game settings files before you can run the tool. You can find instructions here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?p=47001#47001

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:If you are running inside of eclipse after you updated you have to build the game settings files before you can run the tool. You can find instructions here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?p=47001#47001

Hmmm that did the trick. I wonder why the zip and webstart versions did not work. Is i a hold over from the registry entries. I did NOT try the zip file or webstart after deleting the folder and registry entries, so I have to assume that something in the registry was cross linked and CT was expecting the game settings files in one location and there was nothing there?

So I got this running from within Eclipse now, but no 4E stuff shows up. Is there a settings file somewhere I need to tell Exclipse to add into CT?

Joe

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Not sure why the zip & web start methods wouldn't work. I know that the latest 4e files don't work with the build because I've fixed a bunch of bugs that kept it from working. But, the files should still have been copied :(

You can select the 4e game file using Game->Select Game... menu option. The file would be located here: workspace\chartool\build\net\rptools\chartool\resources\game\dnd4e.rpgame. I've not decided how I'm going to integrate the file yet. Trevor doesn't want us to include it w/in CT in case of problems with WotC, so I'll probably set up a way to load a file from the internet and post it somewhere.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:Not sure why the zip & web start methods wouldn't work. I know that the latest 4e files don't work with the build because I've fixed a bunch of bugs that kept it from working. But, the files should still have been copied :(

You can select the 4e game file using Game->Select Game... menu option. The file would be located here: workspace\chartool\build\net\rptools\chartool\resources\game\dnd4e.rpgame. I've not decided how I'm going to integrate the file yet. Trevor doesn't want us to include it w/in CT in case of problems with WotC, so I'll probably set up a way to load a file from the internet and post it somewhere.
Cool I got it. One question, has anywone asked for the Add Powers window to start out larger? Lots of columns and they are small.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm working on getting it to save window position, column layout & size for both add and remove, but it has a bug somewhere. Look for this the next time I check stuff in.

Thio
Kobold

Post by Thio »

edit: just forget the post i seem to have overread one sentence of the linkpost ..

Hi, i got the same error. Im trying to run the program in eclipse cause i actually wanted to help ;). Its my first try at open source however. After that failed i tried the zip, but that wont work because of .. well actually just now it did work.. i hate that effect.. show someone something isnt working and suddenly it does.. grr

Anyway, after it didnt work in eclipse i found this topic, i tried to do what was said in the link provided but i cant find the librarys i shall add for the ant build, there just isnt any commons.build directory.

So i looked at the build.xml where eclipse says it cannot find

<import>

which is true since there is no common.build

it says as well that the targets dont exist in project.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

You need to check out the common.build project as well as the chartool project to do the ant builds.

Return to “CharacterTool”