Problem starting CharacterTool

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Saagael
Giant

Problem starting CharacterTool

Post by Saagael »

I've tried to get CharacterTool to run on my computer (windows XP) for a few days now, but every time I try ti download the web-start I get an error message.

"Unable to launch RP CharTool"

And then when I click on the details I get a string of code.

<xml>
<jnlp>
<information>
<title>RPTools CharTool</title>
<vendor>http://rptools.net/</vendor>
<offline>
<shortcut>
<desktop>
<menu>
</shortcut>
</information>

<security>
<all>
</security>

<resources>
<j2se>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
</resources>
<application>
<argument>${java.launch.args}</argument>
</application>
</jnlp>

I'm not familiar with the programming language, so I don't know how to fix the problem, or even what the problem is. I've also tried downloading and running the program through the zip file, but I wasn't able to do that. Can anyone please help me figure this out?

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

**Let me state first, that I am not one of the mac daddy guru's of this application. There are many around this forum and I am sure they will jump in and save the day. However, I thought I might put in some tips that may help out. **

When I tried the web-start download for the first time, it didn't work for me either. So don't get frustrated. Here are a couple of things that you could try.

First thing I would do is check to see what version of Java you have. You can do this by going to the command prompt and typing "java -version". This should give you a response and tell you what version you have. If you do not get a version number, you will need to go to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp to get it. I personally think this may resolve your issue, but you can try something else.

Secondly, and this is an easier route, you can download the zip file and use that instead. The link for the zip file should be right next to the web-start link. After you download the zip file simply extract it into a folder. Go into that folder and if you should see a file called "launch charTool.bat" ( it may just be "launch charTool" depending on your folder view settings). Double click that file and it should run. If it doesn't make sure you try running "java -version" from the command line to see if you get a version number.

Just in case, to get to the command line in XP, press the start button, the click on run... Then type cmd in the text box and press enter.

Hopefully that helps... Respond back anyway and let us know. There are lots of folks here that would love to help out...

Saagael
Giant

Post by Saagael »

Thanks! I didn't know I didn't have the latest Java installed, since the other RP tools worked fine. Go figure. Do you know, or anyone else know, how to get a 4e character sheet set up, because all I have options for is 3.5

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

That was discussed briefly here. I describe how to get the 4e file from the zip file. I don't know the path offhand for the web-start file, but you can just search for the jar file and follow the instructions... If you are feeling adventurous you could also try using the source code version via SVN...

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I also put the file in the gallery. I talk about it here.

Return to “CharacterTool”