new to CT, curious about features

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Janx
Kobold

new to CT, curious about features

Post by Janx »

Hey, I just found about these tools on ENWorld.

Having come from writing my own spreadsheets and trying other tools to manage PC in game, I've got my own thoughts on what I need from such a tool. Can CT do any of this?

1) I don't need a character generator to help me build a PC. I do that on paper just fine in about 30 minutes. An NPC generator that creates a random NPC with GEAR and Spells is useful as a GM (I'm assuming I pick level, class, race, it rolls the rest). I don't think CT is currently intended for that. Too many tools focus on before game management and printing and they SUCK at being easy to use IN GAME on a LAPTOP.

2) I'm used to managing my PC by tabs (on spreadsheet), general stats, skills, feats & class abilities, gear, combat, spells tabs would be useful to organize the data. On paper, I actually use 1 page per "tab" in much the same structure.

3)It should be easy to see my combat numbers based on the armor I'm wearing and the weapons I'm using

4) I should be able to click a button/issue a command to add/subtract HP and money, and other "Quantity" numbers. I do not want to edit my HP total to subtract 27 damage from 83 myself.

5) adding/removing gear should be easy. I should only have to click an Add Gear button, and fill out some fields (name of item, weight, value, attack bonus, damage) or pick from a list (of items the app already knows about)

6) money should be recognized as gear, AND be easily manipulated during PC shopping trips. Basically, as I use the Add Gear feature, I should be able to note price paid, and have it deduct from my money.

7) Spells, Skills, Feats, and complicated magic items should have a hyperlink (to SRD, or internal documentation) to show their rules. This makes it easier to look rules up for these things, before I use them. At the minumum, they could display a ToolTip for where to find the rules (what book and page number).

8) being able to denote what gear is worn, what gear is on my person, and what's at home. Basically a "location" field, defaulting to "on person" with the ability to make up new locations (like secret lair, my castle)

9) support for a lot of gear. As my PCs get higher in level, I document all the gear they carry and own, but don't carry. Throw in a bag of holding, and you can assume my PC has got a ton of small magic items, which I need to track, in case I use it during a game. Nesting of items (much like locations) would help in organizing my gear.

So the question is, can CT solve most of these problems? If so, how, since I didn't quite see what I talk about (like inventory tracking) when I just tried it? Is it a custom char sheet? Hidden or unfinished feature?

The tool has promise, and it certainly looks like it intends to solve my problem.

Thanks,
Janx

Return to “CharacterTool”