CharTool 4e math not right

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

CharTool 4e math not right

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Okay, so I loaded up the 4e charsheet from the link provided by Jay in CharTool build 10...i made an elf ranger lvl 4 with improved initiative and quickdraw, adjusted dex modifier (not including 1/2 lvl) is 5 (21 total dex) where it calculated initiative it gave a total of 8... 5dex+2half-level+4imp.init+2quickdraw = 13 As best as I can tell Improved Initiative is giving 3, Quickdraw isn't giving any and 1/2 lvl isn't factoring in. Also +hit isn't factoring for 1/2 lvl bonus. Everything else seems fine tho. Also check either the link or the file itself for a virus, I got one shortly after downloading it from the link provided, not a bad one, just slowed me up quite a bit (only thing I've downloaded in a while). I felt the virus was in my comp from the slowing but my anti-virus prog wasn't finding it, I ran Spybot Searh n Destroy which found whatever the infection was and got rid of it yay for freeware. But yah I wanted to bring up those minor math issues so nobody gets robbed on +hit and initiative.
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Re: CharTool 4e math not right

Post by palmer »

Quickdraw and Improved Init don't stack, for starters.

They're both "feat bonuses".

You only get the +4 for Improved

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

The books do not say that they do not stack, unless I completely missed something amidst my reading. You explanation still doesn't answer why 1/2 level bonuses don't apply to hit or initiative though.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

p. 275 of the PHB says that bonuses of the same type don't stack - and both Quickdraw and Improved Initiative are feat bonuses.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

k missed that lol...crap, i don't see a point in having imp. initiative and quickdraw as feats then, imp init beats it hands down.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Doesn't quickdraw allow you to draw a weapon as a free action, too? Or am I getting my systems crossed?
I cast firecube! ~4E

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

Jector wrote:Doesn't quickdraw allow you to draw a weapon as a free action, too? Or am I getting my systems crossed?
Yea it does which can be handy in the heat of combat if you wanna change out weapons since putting the current weapon your holding away cost minor action. Or if your enemy wins init then dazes you cause unless you overly paranoid you probably won't have it out since most people don't walk around with their weapons drawn.

Also while I don't this think is part of 4e quick draw I do recall having a belt/sash in 3.x that allowed you to draw and use a potion as a single action if you had quick draw feat. I can see something similar to this potentially showing up in 4e too.

But for now if all your concerned about is that extra init bonus and don't care about the minor action required to wield you weapons then yea imp. init is better.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Certainly the bonus to initiative is better, but there is definitely use for quickdraw. Archers that want to use the minor action to stow their bow and draw a sword to attack someone who just got into their face, for instance. I remember using quickdraw several times to avoid having to drop a weapon that I wouldn't be able to retrieve as the group was falling back.

I'm thinking certain characters could get good use out of quickdraw (archers, rogues, people with several front-line weapons) but most would be better suited using improved initiative.
I cast firecube! ~4E

mlangsdorf
Cave Troll

Post by mlangsdorf »

Quickdraw also allows Warlocks and Wizards to juggle their Rods and Orbs - many of which have useful powers that can be situational. My feylock keeps a Rod of Reaving +1 around for minion disposal, a Rod of Corruption, a Quick Curse Rod, and a Feytouched Rod, plus the occasional wand for it's daily power.

The additional +2 bonus for Improved Initiative isn't as good as the ability to draw rods, wands, orbs, and potions in the same action that you use them.

YmerejO42
Kobold

Post by YmerejO42 »

I was goofing around with the property sheets for the 4e file, and Quick Draw only adds a +1 to Initiative. I changed it in my copy, but someone needs to get it changed in the source, also.
<modifier>
<name>feat.quickDraw.0</name>
<appliedTo>initModifier</appliedTo>
<modifierSetName>feat.quickDraw</modifierSetName>
<source>Quick Draw</source>
<type>feat</type>
<bonus>1</bonus>
</modifier>
From dnd4eFR\property\database\modifier.rpdat

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Fixed. Thank you!

YmerejO42
Kobold

Post by YmerejO42 »

Any idea when the next beta will be posted? And if you'd like, I can start proofing some of the data files and sending you the corrections... I'm mildly OCD, and some of the things bother me. lol

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm afraid to give another prediction after the last two sucked so hard :). I still haven't got macros working from dragging an RPToken file created by CT to MT. And I still need to work on the drag and drop between IT and MT.

Proofing would be great, thank you for the offer. Do you know how to create patch files in Eclipse? That is the easiest way for you to send me the changes and it makes sure I don't mess them up.

Return to “CharacterTool”