4E Game Settings File Help

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

EighthSin
Kobold

4E Game Settings File Help

Post by EighthSin »

I'm new to RPTools and I really like what I have seen of the tools so far. At present I am mainly interest in IT and I am using CH to create and characters to import into InitiativeTool for D&D 4E.

I have download the dnd4e.rpgame and it works fine in both CT and IT and have been looking at the files to see how to expand on the feats and powers etc.

I have seen this thread http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4283 that explains the files, no problems there, and I'm OK with XML. When I add a new feat to the feats.rpdat the game setting file will not load. I get and an error saying the "The selected file is not a valid settings file: %PATH%"

This is what I tried adding to feats.rpdat as a test:

Code: Select all

<feat>
    <name>Bloodied Invigoration</name>
    <benefit>Whilst bloodied, if you hit with a power that has the invigorating keyword, you again an additional 2 temporary hit points</benefit>
    <prerequisiteText>Con 13, Dragonborn, Fighter</prerequisiteText>
    <prerequisiteMet>and(gte(root.con.current, 13), eq(getIfExists(root.race.race.name,""),"Dragonborn"), eq(getIfExists(root.class.class.name,""),"Fighter"))</prerequisiteMet>
  </feat>
Have I missed something? Do I need to do anything special or use a specific tool to zip the game setting files?

If I get this figured so that I can test anything I add I am happy to contribute towards expanding the 4E settings files beyond the PHB stuff.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: 4E Game Settings File Help

Post by jay »

The only problem that I see with your feat is that the getIfExists function takes the name of a property, not the value of the property. Try this instead:

Code: Select all

<feat>
    <name>Bloodied Invigoration</name>
    <benefit>Whilst bloodied, if you hit with a power that has the invigorating keyword, you again an additional 2 temporary hit points</benefit>
    <prerequisiteText>Con 13, Dragonborn, Fighter</prerequisiteText>
    <prerequisiteMet>and(gte(root.con.current, 13), eq(getIfExists("root.race.race.name",""),"Dragonborn"), eq(getIfExists("root.class.class.name",""),"Fighter"))</prerequisiteMet>
  </feat>

EighthSin
Kobold

Post by EighthSin »

Thanks Jay, no matter how many times I looked at I didn't spot the missing quotes.

I have tried with the quotes but I still get the same error message :?

EighthSin
Kobold

Post by EighthSin »

EUREKA!!! :D

Couldn't figure this no matter so download source and run from netbeans to get more detail in the ouput. Although CT compiles I can't get it running properly (me not knowing what I'm doing), but enought ot have solved the game settings issue I was having.

The output in netbeans confirmed that the XML parser was being tripped up by non-whitespace characters before the start tag, an XML no no.

Turned out that my editor of choice Notepad was adding junk before the opening tag in the document. This junk was not visible in Notepad but on opening my edited feat.xml file in netbeans there is was. Deleted junk, saved, made new .rpgame file and now Bloodied Invigoration appears in the feats list of CT and the prereqs calculate correctly (thanks Jay for pointing out the missing "").

So what have I learned, don;t use Notepade to edit the XML properties file.

Note I use vista ultimate x64, other versions of notepad may not cause this problem.

ronnaldo1749
Kobold

Post by ronnaldo1749 »

Where did you get that game settings file..I can't for the life of me find it. dnd4e.rpgame? Is that the right file name?

EighthSin
Kobold

Post by EighthSin »

It is the right file name and I found a link to it in this thread

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4316

but the link is now broken.

Return to “CharacterTool”