Double Weapon support in DnD 4E game setting file

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

EighthSin
Kobold

Double Weapon support in DnD 4E game setting file

Post by EighthSin »

I am going throught Adventures Vault for DnD 4e adding in the new weapons etc. This re-introduces 'double weapons'.

'Double Weapons' are basically a weapon that you can attack with both ends. One end is the main wepoan and the other counts as an off-hand weapon. The stats for look something like this:

Name Prof. Damage
Double Weapon +2 d10/d10 ....etc

The problem is with the damage die. The first die is for damage dealtwith the main hand end of the weapon, and the second die is for damage dealt with the off-hand end.

At present the CT / IT / dnd4e.rpgame settings file does not support double weapons. Anyone have any ideas how to build in support for double weapons?

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Double Weapon support in DnD 4E game setting file

Post by jay »

I'll have to think about how to do that. You should be able to fake it for now by just putting different weapons in each hand and entering the penalties in the TMP fields next to the weapons on the equipment tab.

EighthSin
Kobold

Post by EighthSin »

I have been able to fake this in a simple way, and it is compliant with the game rules.

Basically each end of a double weapon is treated as a seperate weapon in the rpdat files so there is a 'Main Hand' and an 'Off-Hand' entry in each of the weaponItem.rpdat and weapon.rpdat files for a double weapon. Only the 'Main Hand' entry has been given the values for weight and cost so any math is not broken. The proficiency bonus is applied to both the 'Main Hand' and 'Off-Hand' and each portion is assigned the relevant damage die for that portion.

For magic weapon variants of a double weapon again both a 'Main Hand' and an 'Off-Hand' entry is made in the weapon.rpdat and itemMagic.rpdat files as both the main and the off-hand portions receive the magic item enhancement bonus. Any additional modifiers, properties or powers are attributed to the 'Main Hand' portion only so only one set of entires are need in the modifiers.rpdat for a magic double weapon.

To add a double weapon to your cs in CT you have to add both 'Main Hand' and 'Off-Hand' portions of the weapon in the Equipment tab, they will be displayed next to each other in the add weapons list due to how they are named. You then need to equip each portion in the relevant slot.

In IT when correct portion of the weapon will be used when calculating hit and damage rolls based on which slot you have selected to use main or off-hand.

The weapon.rpdat and weaponItem.rpdat filesnow contain non magical equipment from A.V. supplement. I am just starting on the rest of that tome, gonna tak a while.

Is it OK to post the updated on the forum for folks to test and play around with?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Nice simple solution.
EighthSin wrote:Is it OK to post the updated on the forum for folks to test and play around with?
Yes it is. It is always fine to post your updates on the forums.

EighthSin
Kobold

Post by EighthSin »

Thanks Jay, I'll start a new thread for file updates

Return to “CharacterTool”