New to all this, a couple quick questions

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

kfritz
Kobold

New to all this, a couple quick questions

Post by kfritz »

Background: I have my own game system. I have been writing it for about 5 years all together all by my lonesome. I have done a couple actual sit down plays and it seems to work OK but due to location differences and children it's hard for us all to get together. Hence me looking into RPTools now :D

1. Is it possible for RPTools to recognize an ActionPoint based system?
2. Can I somehow make my own Character Sheet completely and utterly?
3. Is there somewhere I could have looked all this up? I tried a few searches and came up with nohting

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: New to all this, a couple quick questions

Post by Veggiesama »

1. I'm not sure what you mean by ActionPoint based system. MapTool attempts to be system-agnostic, so you can conceivably play any PnP or board game with it.

2. Yes, but it will require a great deal of macro scripting knowledge.

3. Here are some tutorials for MT: http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/ and here is a wiki containing tutorials for writing your own frameworks, campaign properties, etc.: http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Main_Page
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

kfritz
Kobold

Post by kfritz »

Hey thanks for the links :D

ActionPoints or AP: Every action within battle from moving to drawing your weapon to attacking or casting requires a certain amount of action points. Each character based off of race/class has an amount of action points available at the beginning of each turn. Skills and Abilities can lower the cost of actions or increase the amount of total AP each creature/player has.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

kfritz wrote:Hey thanks for the links :D

ActionPoints or AP: Every action within battle from moving to drawing your weapon to attacking or casting requires a certain amount of action points. Each character based off of race/class has an amount of action points available at the beginning of each turn. Skills and Abilities can lower the cost of actions or increase the amount of total AP each creature/player has.
Welcome to MapTool!

Yes, absolutely, MapTool can handle this. However, as Veggiesama says, it will require macro scripting to do so. It can be simple (click a macro button, enter Action points to spend, and they will be deducted from your total); or complex (character creation and an automated character sheet with clickable links that "know" how many action points to spend, automatically apply modifiers, and all that).

If you're brand new to MapTool, check out the tutorials in my sig, and the video tutorials available from the links on the main RPTools.net site. If you need help, the community is usually pretty willing to offer suggestions/corrections for macro scripting or anything you want to do with it.

Edit: Doh! This is in the CharacterTool forum! I apologize. I know nothing about CharacterTool, so I don't know if what you want can be done here, but I assume so if you know how to code it.

Return to “CharacterTool”