4e DDI Character Builder compatability

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Sigalig
Kobold

Re: 4e DDI Character Builder compatability

Post by Sigalig »

Thanlis wrote:Would you be willing to share that?
Sure. My server's boxed up for my move across town Friday, but I'll try to get a link up once I get unpacked.
Lindharin wrote:Have you checked the data in an exported character sheet, rather than the actual CB save file?
I don't see an export option on the Character Viewer. It has a "Save As..." option, but it produces the same file as the Character Builder. The CB has a "Summary" view, but it's more terse than the save file.

I hadn't looked in the file recently, though, and I see that it does have the character's applicable weapons or implements listed in each power with the hit and damage values. It's just the ranged powers' ranges that are absent unless I'm missing them somehow.

The next update is scheduled for July 7. Maybe they'll add them.

In the mean time, I've just been putting the ranges in a data file.

Stitched
Dragon

Post by Stitched »

To export the DDI character to an XML file:

View Character Sheet, inside DDI
From the external viewer that pops up, do a SaveAs (Export) with the filename ending in .xml

That's it.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

It looks like all of the data needed is there. I'll take a shot at importing them here in a bit. I don't really need any data other than what they have entered for stats and selected as feats and powers. I have all of the other data available in CT.

Sigalig
Kobold

Post by Sigalig »

Stitched wrote:From the external viewer that pops up, do a SaveAs (Export) with the filename ending in .xml
On mine, that produces the same file, just with a "xml" extension instead of a "dnd4e" extension. The converter disregards the extension and reads the XML contents either way.

This is more of a Map Tool related utility than a Character Tool utility, though, so maybe I should move discussion of it into a Map Tool thread.

Or maybe I could rewrite it as a Character Tool utility that puts Rumble properties and macros into a Map Tool token from 4e CT files. If Jay makes a DDI importer, that would make it easier for my players to manage their own characters and send me updated tokens. Most of them don't have DDI subscriptions, so I've been DDI-ing their characters myself. (Also, I have to boot up the Windows computer every time I want to run the DDI CB, and that's inconvenient.)

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Did this ever get finished? Can you import a DDi character into Character Tool?
The guy in the green hat.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

No it didn't, sorry about that. I got working on something else and for got about it.

Return to “CharacterTool”