MapTool Gadget for Google Wave

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Re: MapTool Gadget for Google Wave

Post by Amaril »

kristianserrano. I'm not much a developer, but I'm pretty good at making things user friendly.
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I created a wave and added the maptool users of which I'm aware. Please PM me or post here if you want to be added.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I would like an invite. dark dot brigand at comcast dot com

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

[email protected] -- thanks!

Rumble, is your die roller ready for release/invites yet?
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Thanlis wrote:[email protected] -- thanks!

Rumble, is your die roller ready for release/invites yet?
Yeah. It's been up for a while - it's not perfect (there are unsupported rolls, and so forth - it does not match MapTool's capabilities, for instance), but it's usable now:

[email protected]

Note - I toyed with adhering to maptool's /roll XdY syntax, but that was abandoned - you just type the dice roll in your text, and it will be parsed.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The plan I have with the community tool is to allow it to make it act like a web service, so you can query information about it from a simple web call.

You could technically then use that to wire it up to a wave
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

SDShannonS
Giant

Post by SDShannonS »

If anyone has an invite remaining, I would love one. SDShannonS (at) gmail (dot) com

What I'm wondering is whether it would be possible to incorporate MapTool into Google Wave without recreating the wheel. Rather than creating new applications to do what MapTool does but in Wave, instead finding a way to incorporate MapTool as it is into Google Wave. Is that possible? It's all Java-based so I can't imagine it would be that difficult to incorporate it as a Java-based web app.

But I'm not much of a web designer so maybe I'm completely off-base here.

Shannon
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
- Jayne

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

SDShannonS wrote:If anyone has an invite remaining, I would love one. SDShannonS (at) gmail (dot) com

What I'm wondering is whether it would be possible to incorporate MapTool into Google Wave without recreating the wheel. Rather than creating new applications to do what MapTool does but in Wave, instead finding a way to incorporate MapTool as it is into Google Wave. Is that possible? It's all Java-based so I can't imagine it would be that difficult to incorporate it as a Java-based web app.

But I'm not much of a web designer so maybe I'm completely off-base here.

Shannon
I think MapTool is really too "big" to be plugged into Wave in that way. This is just my opinion, but I think Wave would work best with multiple modular tools, rather than dropping in MapTool as one monolithic "gadget." There are a number of considerations - first, Wave already provides the chat support, so chat is not necessary. Second, Wave already has multiple dice rollers available for it, so the dice engine is probably unnecessary to port.

The core of it, though - the mapping features - might be portable, so long as they're not too heavyweight. Basically, background images, tokens, and drawing tools; maybe light/sight, but...I don't know, MapTool feels too heavy to be a Wave Gadget as it is, so IMO it would be better as a stripped down or "atomized" tool if one were to go that route. "MapTool Mobile," in a sense.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Edit: I'm currently out of invites.

I have a few wave invites if people want em - PM me (or reply) with your email address.
Last edited by Hawke on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

okay got mine, noble.hays (at) gmail.com if that doesn't work try (at) googlewave.com...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Can someone explain how to find and install the dice bots please ?
ImageImageImageImage

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

You simply add the bots' wave addresses to your contacts.

Here's the Wave url for RandomLeeTwenty
https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored: ... BKJG7cs0qC
Kristian

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Duh me.
Ok thanks.
ImageImageImageImage

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

BTW, I think I'm now out of invites... I'll send what I can tonight when I get home. Hope I'm able to get everyone...in all I think there are about 17 I have invited (or will tonight). Hopefully that's a good start toward some maptool community stuff!

What I'd really like to see are an official MapTool wave that's connected to updates so folks who don't follow the forum can see new releases in their wave inbox.

Or something connected to phpbb via a bot (this would be a phpbb deal, not an in-house rptools developer thing) so you could have a sort of forum dashboard that would light up anytime something you had subscribed to was updated, or you had a PM or whatever.

What I really view Wave as is your "one stop internet shop" that eventually you could tag everything in. Sort of like Google Reader but beyond RSS feeds and interactive with the things you're looking at so you don't need to leave wave to comment on that forum, etc...

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

Please add me to the RPTool wave. [email protected]

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”