CampaignTool ?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Yeah, you are better at explaining what I had in my head than I am. :shock:
This of course will bring up the issue of copyrights (it has reared it's ugly head numerous times at FG, when someone creates a ruleset (what you called a template it sounds like) that has rules (or tables, races, or actual gameplay rules) from a game that are copyrighted.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I like the idea of a campaign template that defines defaults, template shapes, etc.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

The mechanics of the rules themselves can't be copyrighted, but... the artistic expression that they come in and all the trademaks incorporated in the expression of course can.
You could make a Gurps template, but you could never call it that or infer that it is compatble...

From a philosophical stand point, have a template that allows people to play your RPG online could only help. It's the creation of unlicensed products that suplant the necessity of your product that would be the real problem.

Perhaps approaching the respective companies and explaining that this free item mearly allows the play of their games online and have an disclaimer that states that the rules/system are necessary to actually play.

GRiP had a number of "sheets" from various games available, probably just explained to the companies that people could then play these games online.In fact you would still need the rules, otherwise the rolls, etc would be meaningless...

IMHO ;)

Oh Yeah.... IANA Lawyer
Game On!

mudpyr8
Giant

Post by mudpyr8 »

I'm definitely for a tool that allows the characters to be posted/viewed/played online.

However, what I also really want to see is a tool that allows me to manage my campaign. Something I can fire up in a spare moment, make some notes, prepare some plots, organize some maps/encounters, and then when it comes game time hit it.

Taking the tree structure in mind, having it where I can have a campaign folder with each subfolder being limited to GM only viewing would be great. Then to have the ability to make a subfolder viewable to the players would be huge. It's almost like creating a custom browser for my players so that they can only view the info they want when we are playing.

As for prepped encounters/maps, the ability to hit a button and send to MT would be super sweet.

Just throwing out some ideas. I'm doing all of this now with various tools that are not ideal for gaming and something like this would be dabomb.
Legendsmiths presents:
NOVA6, streamlined universal RPG where action happens at the speed of narrative
Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy game powered by the Hero System.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

mudpyr8 wrote:Taking the tree structure in mind, having it where I can have a campaign folder with each subfolder being limited to GM only viewing would be great. Then to have the ability to make a subfolder viewable to the players would be huge. It's almost like creating a custom browser for my players so that they can only view the info they want when we are playing.

As for prepped encounters/maps, the ability to hit a button and send to MT would be super sweet.
I agree, being able to have a folder GM viewable only would be great, and the ability send it, or selected items to the players would rock. I see a campaign being played, and if a player asks what his player knows about Waterdeep, sending him a folder (pdfs would be cool to do too) with all the details in it so he could look it over.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

huhlig
Giant

Post by huhlig »

Perhaps I might chime in... After reading this forum I might suggest a new tool that would fit.

Campaign server
* Stores all GFX, maps, character sheets, calendars, etc.
* Works similerly to Microsoft Exchange, Providing a central location for information handling and distrobution
* Stores Campaign files in a Zip or rar like format for manual additions or program induced updates.
* Built in High Grade Network compression (Bzip2 or similer) for fast network transfers
* Possibly would have an optional Projector Interface for a map, initiative tool or other Widgets for display on the game board.
* Works with all RPtools Products including MapTool, InitTool, DiceTool, CalendarTool(TBD), Campaign Builder Tool(TBD), CharacterSheetTool(TBD), Campaign History Tool(TBD)
* Written in java so it will work on any Javas supported OS of your choosing

I know I have a lot of wants but I figure it might be a good thing to have for campaigns. Start the server on your laptop or "Projector Computer" and connect locally or across the world. Also allows you to host on a big computer for firewall/bandwidth reasons.

huhlig
Giant

Post by huhlig »

Hmmm, I seem to have killed the conversation. I am getting really good at that. I am guessing people disagree?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

No need to see a good thread go stale. :-)

Warning: Troll Ramble

When I think of campaigns, I think of plot, background, settings, and encounters.

A campaign tool should organize these elements into a navigable and editable format so the GM quickly finds the information needed and updates it based on character interaction.

In the case of the plot tree, the GM creates plot points assigns of any of the other elements to a particular plot point. Plot points have a success/failure or decision conditions that allow for story branches. I'm thinking of a flow chart here. Plots are things like 'The princess is kidnapped', 'Players find a clue', 'Players defeat the bad guy' was well as 'Players loose to the bad guy'.

The background tree contains history points and back story for NPCs and adds texture to the story. Backgrounds branch and cross-connect allowing the GM to quickly look up related data.

Settings involve maps, text, and visuals that help describe settings to players. Basically its places to go and things to see.

Encounters list all the vital stats for game interaction. Encounters involve information for combat and non-combat encounters with NPC and obstacle information. Encounters include stat sheets (character sheets) and tokens.

When you define a campaign element (plot, background, setting, or encounter) you relate it to other campaign elements that support it. For instance, a basic plot is; bandits attack the town. This is followed by a plot branch of 'players help/don't help defend the town'. The GM builds the plot tree from there. After defining a plot point, such as bandits attack, the GM assigns an encounter to it. In support of this, the GM defines backgrounds for the town and the bandits and assigns these to the 'attack' plot point. Settings for this plot point might include the town gates, a local tavern, or where ever the GM want the battle to occur. Encounters for this plot point include the bandits, city guards and local non-combatants.

For encounters, you might pull in a setting giving you a map view allowing you to place tokens. If you aren't sure where an encounter will occur, you might just pull in a list of plot points and pull in the setting later. Background and Settings work in a similar method.

So, now to the GUI view of this. I like the tree view concept but I like the Eclipse perspective idea better. In this case we have four perspectives the user switches between; plot, background, setting, and encounter.

The plot screen perspective shows a folder with each plot point the expands along a decision tree. Of course, all of this is editable on the fly allowing copy and paste of folders so a GM can quickly change base on character interaction. Once you have your plot point defined, you add in background, setting and encounter information as sub folders.

When you switch to the background perspective, you get a view of all the plot points, encounters and settings that this background feeds. Likewise, with encounters, you see all settings, plot points and backgrounds affected by the encounter list. Etc. etc.

I reckon that's enough of a ramble for now. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

huhlig wrote:Hmmm, I seem to have killed the conversation. I am getting really good at that. I am guessing people disagree?
I saw your reply before, and the first that came to my mind was 'wow he is asking for allot'. hehe
Me personally, I dont all my stuff kept on a server elsewhere. I do allot on the fly when I DM, and having to preload it on a server elsewhere would be a pain. When I plan for the party to go to a bar, and instead they go into the church, I want to be able to pull that off my machine on the fly and use it in the game.
For me, really the ability to create a folder, say "Ravenhold" (some town), and then drag or insert images (say a map of the town, a pic of the mayor, a list of residents, etc) into that folder, and be able to create documents of texts in that folder would be great.
I have seen a few programs that allow you to create links to images and maps and such, but in my experience, it is a big job of inserting all that data and many a DM is not willing to go that extra mile and do all that work.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

huhlig
Giant

Post by huhlig »

Im more interested in the ability to prepare a map ahead of time, all the GFX, XML set up for walls, tokens pre-loaded at the entrance, DM notes about the map(traps and such), and keep that in the file, so after I have prepped a map, toss it on the server so its ready for me to use. This is very similer to a webserver in it just hosts the stuff. Being able to store campaign trees isnt something DMs use. I know for a fact I would only use it for the meta plot which is usally so overarcing it can take 2-3 years to complete. Day to day plots and things I wouldnt ever touch.

trevor

Post by trevor »

huhlig wrote:Hmmm, I seem to have killed the conversation. I am getting really good at that. I am guessing people disagree?
Oops, didn't mean to give that impression. I've been focused on MT lately and haven't invested a lot of time thinking about a CampaignTool. I was letting you guys figure out what it should do, then when I sat down to get started, would parse through the details and features you guys have accumulated.

mudpyr8
Giant

Post by mudpyr8 »

Don't know what happened to my well thought out comment, so now you will get a less fresh response.

I am less interested in a thought/plot mapping tool than really just a way to make notes and run my game. I suspect most GMs, like me, have little time to prepare and generally need a tool that they can build and extend as the game progresses, in game time.

This is more what I had in mind.

1. The ability to organize notes in a hierarchy (tree).
2. The ability to make nodes in that hierarchy available/unavailable to players.
3. The ability to create rich text pages, including images which could be used as maps in maptool. Ideally an image could be tagged and then triggered "send to maptool" or some such.
4. The ability to link (hyperlink) to other pages and relate to other nodes/pages (list of links). "relations" are bidirectional - if you associate/relate one page to another, that relationship shows up on that page as well.
5. Ability to tag/track/log other tool specific elements. This would allow you to keep an NPCs custom dice macros, InitTool initiative, Token, etc. on their page.

Here is an exampleof this mark-up.

With regard to item 5, I think the key is to deliver a tool that supports all game systems as relates to the existing tools. I do not believe full character sheet is really required for maptool - just the ability for players to store their essential character information (chat macros, dice rolls, initiative values, token, etc). Add damage capacity to that (i.e. how alive a character is in whatever way the game system details it), and I think you have a complete solution without going through the effort to accommodate multiple system character sheets.
Legendsmiths presents:
NOVA6, streamlined universal RPG where action happens at the speed of narrative
Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy game powered by the Hero System.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the pick. It looks like something that would work really good for the CharacterTool too

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

The tool I described above helps with published adventures. The 'pull something out of a hat' sort of adventure is handled pretty well by init tool/map tool now (minus notes) where you can preload your encouters in init tool and plop them on the map as needed. I'm less interested in notes but the ability to send 'hand outs' to players is of interest.

But, in all honesty, I've never used a campaign manager other than map/init tool conbination so maybe I'm missing the point somewhere. The tool I described would be helpful to me designing ganes and laying out adventures. It would also be handy in plotting stories of any kind. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I actually like mudpyr8's idea and how he structured it. The ability to create a document and add notes with relationships would be a great assest.
Imagine creating an NPC in a game on the fly, you create a note, basic description, attitude, relation to PCs. Then later you find the perfect image for them, so drag it into MT, create a relation nodial connector so the image is linked (and listed in the tree) for that NPC. Then later when you call up that node, you can pull up the notes to read, the image to send to the players, even add more notes to the NPC.

Be great if the tree was flexible as well, so later we could create a node for the town, then list places in town, then under each place, who could be found there.

And I really like the idea of being able to turn on/off the availablity to players.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”