CampaignTool ?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Blakey wrote: If only Janik would fix the whole InitTool side of things (how difficult can it be?!) then it would be perfect. Why does InitTool get this all exactly right and something like DMGenie can't? Time to resurrect the Initiative threads over there again???

Blakey
Hey, about that Blakey. I see a lot of people talking about how DM Genie doesn't handle ready and delay properly. I'm wondering what people mean? My group uses Delay pretty regularly and Ready occasionally, and the buttons always seems to work for me. What exactly is DM Genie doing wrong, because I must be missing it when we run combat. Just this past Sunday I had 2 instances of players delaying actions and I watched it pretty carefully, and I didn't notice anything wrong with the way DM Genie handled the combat. I'm pretty sure we are using the rules correctly, so is the initiative thing a sporadic problem? Oh and one thing that might matter, we roll initiative every round. Would that make a difference in DM Genie's problem with handling initiative?
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I haven't used DMGenie that much lately. The last time I did it consistently screwed up the combat sequences, refusing to move to the next active combatant.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

thelevitator wrote:Hey, about that Blakey. I see a lot of people talking about how DM Genie doesn't handle ready and delay properly. I'm wondering what people mean? My group uses Delay pretty regularly and Ready occasionally, and the buttons always seems to work for me. What exactly is DM Genie doing wrong, because I must be missing it when we run combat. Just this past Sunday I had 2 instances of players delaying actions and I watched it pretty carefully, and I didn't notice anything wrong with the way DM Genie handled the combat. I'm pretty sure we are using the rules correctly, so is the initiative thing a sporadic problem? Oh and one thing that might matter, we roll initiative every round. Would that make a difference in DM Genie's problem with handling initiative?
Pretty sure re-rolling init every round would stop this being an issue, yes. The standard Init sequence has problems. Its been ages since I ran with it so I can't recall whhat they are. I guess look over the various Initiative threads on the DMG forums and see what is there.
The guy in the green hat.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

thelevitator wrote: I see a lot of people talking about how DM Genie doesn't handle ready and delay properly. I'm wondering what people mean? My group uses Delay pretty regularly and Ready occasionally, and the buttons always seems to work for me. What exactly is DM Genie doing wrong, because I must be missing it when we run combat.
The problem crops up when many people decide to ready/delay. I have ran several tests way back when and reported all the issues until I was blue in the face. I bet some were lost in the many server hacks along the way..

I think this is one of the discussions:
http://www.dmgenie.com/smf/index.php?topic=2536.0

heathan666
Giant

not sure if anyone else suggested this

Post by heathan666 »

Here are some things I think would be pretty neat, and not sure if anyone suggested this stuff.

TokenTool
I think being able to set everything up in a file before you mess with it would be awesome (like a D&D token toll with all the stats for a monster would already have them placed on it....so everytime you load that token on the map...blam).

MapTool
Ok I have several things I'd like to point out.

Fog of War: A function that can let you adjust the opaqueness of the FoW, rather then just leave it black....this is kewl because you could create a "real fog" for players, or.....astral vision....which someone suggested on one of the threads.

Multiple Maps: Another kewl thing would be the ability to load multiple maps and scatter players.
For instance the group stays behind, while a rogue sneaks up the stairs to the next floor to check things out. Normally I'd either A) have to create another map in a completely different area or B) just load the map, slowing down the game and annoying the players when it takes me 20 minutes to figure out that I had to "enforce" them to that map (yes that happened last session, first time using maptools).

Table Function: Yes I know all about the exploding dice, however I play D&D, and well not everything crits ONLY on a max d20 roll. I think adjusting the Table function to show the initial roll, would be pretty sweet and pretty much would allow a player to do crit rolls automatically on a critical threat (as of now, it only shows the result of the roll, not the roll itself).

Hot online Gamer Chix: Can I just make that request anyways????
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

RPMiller
Demigod

Re: not sure if anyone else suggested this

Post by RPMiller »

heathan666 wrote:Hot online Gamer Chix: Can I just make that request anyways????
That function is already included, but requires entering the correct code. ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Phergus
Deity

Re: not sure if anyone else suggested this

Post by Phergus »

Um. These are feature requests for existing tools and not New Tool Requests or actually relevant to Campaign Tool but...
heathan666 wrote:Fog of War: A function that can let you adjust the opaqueness of the FoW, rather then just leave it black....
The FoW opaqueness is already adjustable and can be made a different color or even a texture.
heathan666 wrote:Multiple Maps: Another kewl thing would be the ability to load multiple maps and scatter players.
It seems you already know that MapTool can load multiple maps. Did you know that you can click on the little globe icon in the upper right corner to navigate to other maps?

You can also load multiple maps onto a single unbounded map if you want to though this takes quite a bit more memory.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”