CampaignTool ?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

mudpyr8
Giant

Post by mudpyr8 »

I think the key too would be for the tool to be useful offline. I think what RPTroll was describing could be done with the tool as I described it - that's more in how you use it. I was shooting for a generic tool that could be used in different ways, rather than a tool that is too specific.

Modeling it after a Wiki or TreePad is more what I had in mind, but those tools are limited in that they aren't really linked into other tools.

If I had a moment prior to a game I certainly would want to fire up the tool and do all of my adventure planning therein. I could use it to plan out an entire dungeon, with a page for every room subordinate to a level description page, subordinate to the page describing the adventure. I could create a page for a monster and then relate it to every room that has such a monster in it.

The ability to import HTML would be great, and possibly even rtf. File attachments would be groovy, especially if you have some kind of non-standard file you want to associate with a particular entry.

If SQLlite were running on the backend I can only imagine some of the DB type coolness you could leverage.

But whatever is done, management of a single page needs to be no more complicated than a word processor.

Additionally, and this is very important, the ability to export in some form of meaningful format is essential. HTML is probably the easiest, but not necessarily the most ideal. XML to be sure, if that is how the data is stored anyway.
Legendsmiths presents:
NOVA6, streamlined universal RPG where action happens at the speed of narrative
Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy game powered by the Hero System.

huhlig
Giant

Post by huhlig »

I think part of what I was trying to explain was the Campaign tool was a way of keeping track of a campaign. When you have an encounter the campaign tool keeps track of it, maps you have used in the past stay around for later reference. So you can prepare future encounters, generate random enounters on the fly, generate real treasure ahead of time so that it can exist before the magical end of combat.

Then store it in a timeline so you can prepare ahead of time or look back at what has happened for reference. All this can be stored in a file for easy backup.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Just so the Big Sister tool doesn't get lost... ;)

A tree like organizer that sends info to MT, but mostly the chat interface....

Lookin' something like this...

I wonder if there's a Java freeware one around that could be looked at for the output...
Game On!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Looks very similar to the way openrpg handles their content organization.

Opinions on this system ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Found this java one.... SecondBrain by some Fudge players... :)

appears to have HTML/XML output :)
Game On!

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

Below is high-jacked from another board, the WoTC one.

MYINFO

You can Click on the Pic to goto a Better Photo if you need to.
I believe that they have a Free Viewer Available to be able to read these files If you want to see what I have done so Far. You just won't be able to change or add anything.

MYINFO can Have Muliple Tabs open. You can see on the Bottom I have two open. Sunderholm Campaign and Dungeons and Dragons Core SRD 3 Books Combined
Here is My Campaign File. Trees are not expanded.

In This Screenshot I have Expanded the PC Tree to show the PCs
If you need to add a PC all you would have to do is Select Player Characters. On the Tool Bar select (Insert) from a drop Down Menu select (Document)

In this Screen Shot I have Expanded Edra and then Expanded Until I could select Chem' Sha. On the right the details are available for the Magic Item including a picture of the Great Axe

In this Screenshot You can see I expanded the regional details until I could select Haskenport: Map and then selected it. On the right you can see a Picture of the Map and also the Hyperlink to the Campaign Cartograher File which would open the CC Program if needed

Here I have Selected the Dungeons and Dragons Core SRD 3 Books Combined Tab

In this Screenshot The Players Handbook Tree has been expanded until Feats: Sprirted Charge has been Selected. On The Left you find it Under Mounted Combat: Ride-By Attack and on the Right Full Details

Here the Monster Manual Tree Has been Expanded to find Drow
On the Left You can see the expanded tree and on the Right details about the Drow

Again this is all from the SRD except the pictures and Maps
Pictures are from Dundjinni Fourms and the Maps I make With Dundjinni and Campaign Cartograher. It is real easy to customize the trees.

I selected to Put the Feats and Things Under Prerequists you could do it purely alphabetically.

Monster Manuals could have a Picture Added on another Document In case you just wanted to show your Players a picture without the stats.

I have started to do one for MIC but since it is not OGL I will not be able to share it

I have a total of 12 Screenshots available at
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album ... ertainment[/QUOTE]
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)
Shooting from the hip... Never the lip!

Zerianthekeeper
Giant

Post by Zerianthekeeper »

Is this project still alive? If so any ETA? Sorry to ask, but I am putting a list together for Linux D&D programs and I have a Under Development section with a link to the Forum for that tool. I would like to add this, Decktool, and Charactertool to that list.

Thanks
ZK
Here is my Website, you can find all my d20 homebrew here! http://zerian-the-keeper.wikidot.com/

stefam
Cave Troll

Post by stefam »

Reading this thread, you guys have just decribed the forthcoming RPG GM Tools, just announced this week.

See this thread...

http://www.rpgxplorer.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=4173

or Screen shots

http://www.rpgxplorer.com/

The tree-structure is just what you guys are describing...

-Mike
It takes a village to raise a child, but it takes a Viking to raze a village.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Nice except for 2 things:

1 - it is d20 focused.... [insert barfing sound]
2 - costs $40 for one license

on a side note, trevor showed me an image...this is the exact reason I do not play D&D (no offense dorpond)
http://www.rpgxplorer.com/images/Anurien.htm
jeez, all that to play a game????

Anyway, back on topic, I do not see anything there that Maptools cannot do, minus the formating on the token tree (which is nice, but I but I bet easy to implement). I would also like to see their campaign file, it appears that the entire campaign world is kept in there active, with the tokens on the current map on the inner tab (see http://www.rpgxplorer.com/images/SouthernMarchZoom.jpg).

And I must laugh when I see multiple sites claiming that their vtt will "change the face of tabletop gaming forever", we have been here for years watching others do that, nice of you to join the party late.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

snikle wrote: on a side note, trevor showed me an image...this is the exact reason I do not play D&D (no offense dorpond)
http://www.rpgxplorer.com/images/Anurien.htm
jeez, all that to play a game????
*Dorpond shakes fist at Snikle*
:)
that is a small character sheet. My players have character sheets that are 9 pages at the moment (spell casters). :D

There is a lot of info in D&D but it does make for good gaming once everyone has the rules down. I will always be a true D&D player but I really want to check out Savage Worlds some day soon. :D

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

snikle wrote:...I do not see anything there that Maptools cannot do, minus the formating on the token tree (which is nice, but I but I bet easy to implement)...
Throw the Tree in with the ability to C'n'Send text to chat, Send pics & sounds that show/play to the players and your set... ;)
Game On!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

dorpond wrote:*Dorpond shakes fist at Snikle*
:)
that is a small character sheet. My players have character sheets that are 9 pages at the moment (spell casters). :D
Holy christ, for the love of mercy, why would you subject yourself to that??

But really, I love ya d, keep me on my toes. :D
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

stefam
Cave Troll

Post by stefam »

Snickle, I agree with your assessment of the tool and that it would work great in the proposed framework. While I'll probably buy it (I'm a sucker that way) I have yet to use my original RPGX player license as I did not find it useful. I have seen RPTools beat every other paid product by a mile - I would be surprised if Campaign tool didn't do the same!

I, of course, disagree with your D20 assessment. I mean, if you don't spend just as much time arguing about the rules as you do playing the game, then what's the fun!! :wink:

BTW, for those DM Genie users among us... Janik is back and has posted on the DM Genie forum...

-Mike
It takes a village to raise a child, but it takes a Viking to raze a village.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

There is a lot of info in D&D but it does make for good gaming once everyone has the rules down.
Sure, once they fix crits, weapons, armor, feats, etc...
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

stefam wrote:BTW, for those DM Genie users among us... Janik is back and has posted on the DM Genie forum...
I've just been back over there and started posting again. Am going to use DMGenie in my game tomorrow I think. Setting up my campaign inside it reminds me of how good it is.

If only Janik would fix the whole InitTool side of things (how difficult can it be?!) then it would be perfect. Why does InitTool get this all exactly right and something like DMGenie can't? Time to resurrect the Initiative threads over there again???

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”