Convert to C# and WPF?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Convert to C# and WPF?

Post by Azhrei »

The_Grand_User wrote:[...] but should be fun, [...]
You, sir, have a strange sense of "fun".

:mrgreen:

The_Grand_User
Kobold

Post by The_Grand_User »

Just a quick progress report, things are coming along slowly but surely. I've past the point where I got all the classes declared and have gone through most of them (the UI classes have been skipped so far) to convert their field and method declarations. Next step will be to go through each of their method bodies and get those converted.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Wow. Unexpected. I mean, it's a great experiment to attempt to convert it ("port" being the wrong word) but I couldn't imagine making any serious headway on it. It's a big task. :|

The_Grand_User
Kobold

Post by The_Grand_User »

It makes a nice framework for playing around with technologies that I haven't had much occasion to, such as networking. So it's not just a conversion but also a learning experience. But yes, it is a big task. And some things are just going to be done differently, due to the nature of the framework differences, so I'm doubtful that this MapTool conversion will be able to communicate with the original, and certainly not after further divergence, but I'll try to keep it close initially :)

I imagine where the most trouble will be is when I start seriously working on the UI.

Darkcrystal
Kobold

Post by Darkcrystal »

I saw on the net that java was slower than c + +, is this true?
Is it possible to convert MapTool C + + and Mac players benefits?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Java is currently the only cross-platform language that has built-in GUI support, built-in thread support, and a huge collection of third-party libraries (of which MT uses quite a few).

There is no chance that the RPTools team will be rewriting MT in any other language. However, that doesn't stop others from doing so. In fact, we will likely need to have clients written for Android, iOS, and so on, since each of the corresponding vendors seem incapable of agreeing on a single language across all platforms. :?

The_Grand_User
Kobold

Post by The_Grand_User »

Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted in here. It's been awhile since I was working on the conversion, too.

Still going method by method, uncommenting the java code in them and make them legal C# code. Still not in a runnable state, and haven't even gotten to the UI side of things. So slow, and not always steady, progress.

I'm considering instead of doing a method by method conversion that I'd just use the general structure and contents more as a guideline and idea generator, and effectively write my own app based off of MapTool rather than a straight conversion of it. (Part of the reason its been awhile since I worked on the conversion and commented here.)

Some of it comes from the differences between .Net and the Java library, what's available, what's not, and the general cultural differences between the two. Also getting a lot "I want to do it this other way" ideas ;) generally about the architecture of things (and, needless to say, would definitely make things incompatible with MapTool).

I might put up what I've done somewhere, so that others could help with the conversion if they want to. Any interest in that?

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”