Legality of a True 4E Char Builder?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Aabra
Kobold

Legality of a True 4E Char Builder?

Post by Aabra »

While I realize that there's probably no way RPTools would ever host or support this idea it's something that's been rolling around in my head for some time and I've been wondering if there was any way I could make this a 100% legal program. I might do this in my spare time as it really shouldn't be all that difficult.

The idea would be something like this:

When you create a new character it actually takes you through all the steps. What race would you like to be, name, gender, etc, etc.... providing full descriptions for everything. Exactly what abilities each race gets/etc. It would also prompt you for a level - so if you need to make a level 10 character you can do it quickly.

Using 4E's rules the program would then calculate how many powers and feats you can use and of what types and would give you a list of options depending on your race, class, and level - again complete with descriptions. Maybe even include an equipment section. It would obviously calculate your hitpoints, AC, healing surges, etc for you.

You could then save the character of course, load it up later on to play with and even click a level up button to level up.... taking you through the process step by step.

If I have an absolutely insane amount of time to waste I could even include a way to export the character sheet into HTML format so that you could easily post it in forums/share it with your friends over the net. (besides just sending the default file to another friend with the program)

Heck there'd even be the possibility of including nice little maptool compatible macros for all your powers. :)

This really would be a *very* easy program to make (albeit time consuming due to the large amount of database work involved) and I realize that the only reason it hasn't been made is because it would probably piss WOTC off something awful. I'm curious however as to what aspects of this program are 100% illegal, what aspects are quasi-illegal, and which ones are 100% legal. Any assistance in this regard would be appreciated. Living in Mexico doesn't keep me 100% safe from their wrath I'm sure. :wink:

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

I think anything in the SRD is legal. Since 4th ed. has come out, I'm not sure if it's been updated with anything though...

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

You creating the program for your use = 100% legal

You creating the program and selling it = 100% illegal

You creating the program and distributing it freely without cost or obligation = Gray area

tektonik
Dragon

Post by tektonik »

Do what most people do. Make it open source and it becomes useless to prosecute (PGP, that anti-DMCA code)

TK
Giant

Post by TK »

Please note: MapTools does not give legal advice.
Nothing herein should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a legal opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of law.

Aabra
Kobold

Post by Aabra »

UntoldGlory wrote:You creating the program for your use = 100% legal

You creating the program and selling it = 100% illegal

You creating the program and distributing it freely without cost or obligation = Gray area
Well there's no way I'd be charging for it. It would be freeware. I would want to distribute it though. I would also have no problem releasing the source on sourceforge or whatever but WOTC might ask for them to take it down as I would be including a *lot* of information from the Player's Handbook.

*ponders*

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

Considering that they are in the process of creating just such an application that they will provide through DnD-Insider (if it ever launches) for a presumable financial charge, I would say they might object to freeware that could damage their revenue.

If their tool ends up being free, however, I can't see as how they could complain as long as you put the "...trademark of WotC..." notices in.

I am not a lawyer, and this is just my opinion.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

Aabra
Kobold

Post by Aabra »

Well, theirs would probably look a lot cooler than mine. They have talented artists and I don't. :D Plus theirs would be integrated with all the D&D Insider stuff while mine.... well heck it could be integrated with Maptool if enough work went into it.

Imagine after creating your character being able to quickly save a token fully loaded with all kinds of fun macros specific to your character. All your properties already entered, advanced power macros with crit information/etc.... that would be great I think. :D

I have a real problem with WOTC's idea of charging a subscription fee for their programs. It's not a MMORPG..... they're probably not going to even use any of their bandwidth for it. (Why would they? Whoever hosts the game is going to use their own bandwidth.) They only have to pay to host a small IRC-type server to set up the games. It's not like we are actually going to receive anything for that monthly fee.... we're going to be charged extra for any updates at all. (3D models) So the only real thing we receive is the magazine.....

It's like trying to charge a monthly fee for people to play Starcraft, Diablo, Half Life, etc...

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

They can always go after you.

The SRD stuff is only important if you decide to subscribe to the GSL, which by definition can never include anything digital including character builders.

So... whether you use only SRD or not or whatever, it's always possible that you'll get a Cease & Desist.

It remains to be seen how much WotC is going to spend going after people with 4E and even if right now the answer is "nothing" that may change when they stand to make money from a functional Game Table.

Aabra
Kobold

Post by Aabra »

Where can I find all the WOTC documents (SRD, GSL, etc) referring to 4E? I'd like to read them.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I've looked over them, though I don't have the link now a google search should turn em up pretty quick. If you read the GSL and 4e SRD then it'll have you thinking that you need to pay them a quarter to even *say* D&D, but the main point is whether what you are doing needs to even use the GSL. We had a big ole thread about that when work on Chartool started for 4e, and it was pretty much determined that it would be okay, but frankly that thread drained it out of me.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

UntoldGlory wrote:it was pretty much determined that it would be okay, but frankly that thread drained it out of me.

I think that was probably more due to the 40 posts you do a day. :P
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Hey, I've totally slowed down lately... mostly cause with the move I can't keep up with the macros, but still, I've slowed down!

salmelo
Giant

Post by salmelo »

I believe if you take out the description parts, from the base package at a minumum, they can't do much, if all there is is names of stuff. Similair to how they can't kill MSE or MWS because they are both Open Source, and all of the Wizards stuff in either one is not a part of the base code, but rather something added on to the base code. Now, that doesn't mean they won't go after you, but I'm pretty sure as long as you don't charge for it, and it's at least slightly worse then the one they put out. They probably won't come after you. I am not 100% sure on this, as I am not a lawyer nor a WotC representative, but i have followed a numerous number of threads on various sites about it, they all seem to come to the same conclusion, which up to this point have been accurate predictions, unless wizards decides to go shut down MWS or MSE any time soon, which I doubt.

Aabra
Kobold

Post by Aabra »

I had to search for quite a while but I eventually found them - you can check them out here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/welcome

From the Game System License Document:
For the avoidance of doubt, and by way of example only, no Licensed Product will (a) include web sites, interactive products, miniatures, or character creators; (b) describe a process for creating a character or applying the effects of experience to a character; (c) use the terms “Core Rules” or “Core Rulebook” or variations thereof on its cover or title, in self-reference or in advertising or marketing thereof; (d) refer to any artwork, imagery or other depiction contained in a Core Rulebook; (e) reprint any material contained in a Core Rulebook except as explicitly provided in Section 4; or (f) be incorporated into another product that is itself not a Licensed Product (such as, by way of example only, a magazine or book compilation).
So absolutely no character creators of any kind? Wow..... it sounds like I'm pretty much going to have to go underground if I want to make this. :(

Although this is only with the GSL - I don't really care if it's licensed or not as it would be freeware. There's also a don't ask don't tell policy which is probably the way to go here. If I ask them if I can do this the answer will surely be no but if I don't.... they hopefully won't even know I exist. :?

I'm still not sure if I'll do this or not. It would be nice to have a real character creator though.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”