Simple Creature Working

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

AndrewD2
Kobold

Simple Creature Working

Post by AndrewD2 »

I was looking at InitTool and I really like it. What I think would be nice is having a small program that would (a) contain a list of the SRD monsters, (b) give you the ability to add to the monster list, (c) add and save creature templates, (d) apply them to monsters, and (e) import the new list into InitTool.

Thanks for reading,
Andrew

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

Well PCGen is not what anyone would call a small program but it can do this.

As of PCGen 5.11.9 (the latest Alpha) and InitTools latest development build PCGen can export characters and whole parties to InitTools group file format.

With PCGen you can easily create a default version of any monster in the SRD, apply any template in the SRD and export that to InitTool.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

AndrewD2
Kobold

Post by AndrewD2 »

Yeah I know about PCGen, it runs horribly on my computer. Also I'm more looking for the addition of new things, and I've had a lot of trouble doing that with PCGen. I do currently have the newest alpha. I was just looking for a smaller program for doing just this.

Ok, I just found the add template part of PCGen, but it uses so much RAM on my system that it ups the use of my Pagefile by almost 200 MB uses around 100MB of RAM. My computer slows to such a crawl that it's just not usable.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Simple Creature Working

Post by jay »

AndrewD2 wrote:What I think would be nice is having a small program that would (a) contain a list of the SRD monsters,
Init tool already has this built into it. Select File->New->Combatant and press the Lookup button on the Add Combatant Dialog. It allows all fo the monsters to be placed into the encounter.
AndrewD2 wrote:(b) give you the ability to add to the monster list,
This is a planned enhancement to Init Tool. Right now you have to edit the XML file by hand.
AndrewD2 wrote:(c) add and save creature templates, (d) apply them to monsters,
I believe that you will be able to do this on the upcoming character tool. Template functionality may not be available reight away, but it is definately planned. It should make its debut Real Soon Now.
AndrewD2 wrote:and (e) import the new list into InitTool.
I've been working on character tool and I am looking at it as a library for Init Tool. So Init Tool will be able to display a lot of what character tool can, but it isn't really able to edit it.
AndrewD2 wrote:Thanks for reading,
Andrew
Welcome to the boards!

AndrewD2
Kobold

Post by AndrewD2 »

Most excellent, thank you for the reply. I was just wondering, where is the XML file if I wanted to lookaround and try to add some critters?

Thanks,

Andrew

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Welcome to the forum AndrewD2 !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

AndrewD2 wrote:Most excellent, thank you for the reply. I was just wondering, where is the XML file if I wanted to lookaround and try to add some critters?
If you download the zip version you will find it inside the archive. Then you can copy it and modify it as you wish. Use the preferences in InitTool to then point to your new file.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

AndrewD2 wrote:Most excellent, thank you for the reply. I was just wondering, where is the XML file if I wanted to lookaround and try to add some critters?
After the first time you run Init Tool you can copy the XML file from the tool data directory. On Windows the file is at C:\Documents and Settings\user\.inittool\defaultMonsters.rpdat. Make a copy of that file and put it in some other directory. This is very important because the .inittool directory is updated automatically by Init Tool and I would hate for you to lose your new monsters. Then select Tools->Game Settings and go to the Miscellaneous tab. Put the name of the file in the Combatant Lookup field and hit OK and save your changes. If you update the XML file after you load it the first time go back to the Game Settings tab and hit the Reload button to pick up the latest changes.

AndrewD2
Kobold

Post by AndrewD2 »

Thanks for all the welcomes, I feel loved :-) Now anyone got a favourite XML editor?

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”