Expanding Beyond d20

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

At least no one's calling me Shirley.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Surely you jest!
dorpond wrote:I always webstart the apps.. It ensures the latest and greatest :)
Call me paranoid but I prefer to run apps locally. I'm not <pause> comfortable with running them via webstart.

And of course our gaming sessions are held at a luddites house that doesn't have WiFi so it wouldn't work for me anyway.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

And of course our gaming sessions are held at a luddites house that doesn't have WiFi so it wouldn't work for me anyway.
lol. do you have to use pieces of charcoal to write with?
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

lol. do you have to use pieces of charcoal to write with?
No once he got electric lights we were able to use pencils and paper and could retire the charcoal and shovels.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Surely you jest!
dorpond wrote:I always webstart the apps.. It ensures the latest and greatest :)
Call me paranoid but I prefer to run apps locally. I'm not <pause> comfortable with running them via webstart.

Technically the applications are being run locally. Web Start just checks for updates on the server and automatically downloads any it finds. You should also be able to run it w/o a network if you had previously downloaded the app. Although we might not have configured it properly to allow that to happen.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The problem is if players are on a different version: one updated before coming, one didn't. Now they are stuck if they don't have the zip version or internet access.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:The problem is if players are on a different version: one updated before coming, one didn't. Now they are stuck if they don't have the zip version or internet access.
Exactly why I always keep the version currently in use on a USB flash drive.

dglas
Cave Troll

Post by dglas »

trevor wrote:
dglas wrote:I have the good fortune to kow a friendly java-geek, and have had Open and Closed rolls incorporated into the chat tool. Now I can run Feng Shui online.
As in adding code to support a different kind of rolling ? If so you might invite them to send it in as a patch so that everybody can use it :)
I actually have the modified version here:

http://raeat.sasktelwebsite.net/fsmapto ... _terry.zip

Download at will. I understand it's open source. ;)

Sadly, I am not the java-geek, Terry is. But I'll check with him when the opportunity presents itself. He's kinda a busy guy.

Check out /oroll and /croll and variants. These are his work on my behalf. What exactly the code is, I cannot say. All I can say is I am happy and I am not questioning the powers that be... ;)

trevor

Post by trevor »

The idea though is that now you're stuck with that version, if we can get the source we can put it in such that you can have it for continuing versions :)

wtph
Kobold

Post by wtph »

trevor wrote:The idea though is that now you're stuck with that version, if we can get the source we can put it in such that you can have it for continuing versions :)
source will be forthcoming once I paste the licence headers in ;) I'm a bit busy with a family emergency right now though.

--Terry.

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

As far as the die tool, the one thing I really hope that is do-able is enforcing a 'gm-side only' rolling mode. Nice to roll your own things client side, but in a real connected game you should be able to enforce a GM side rolling to avoid any issues with 'creative' players. That is one of the beefs I have with OpenRPG which I believe the OpenRPG 1.7/ OpenRPG+ has finally dealt with.

-hm

trevor

Post by trevor »

Heroman wrote:As far as the die tool, the one thing I really hope that is do-able is enforcing a 'gm-side only' rolling mode. Nice to roll your own things client side, but in a real connected game you should be able to enforce a GM side rolling to avoid any issues with 'creative' players. That is one of the beefs I have with OpenRPG which I believe the OpenRPG 1.7/ OpenRPG+ has finally dealt with.
Do you mean the player rolls but only the GM can see it ?

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

Nope, have the clients send across the unresolved die roll request (or expression if we get to a more advanced scheme). The GM app should be the one rolling the dice and producing the result to avoid any kind of client manipulation to fudge rolls. If it is all client side, it is trivial for one to fudge the roll.

-hm

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”