Time weather and Resources

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Jtolman5
Kobold

Time weather and Resources

Post by Jtolman5 »

If there is such a program already made please direct me to it.
What I am looking for in a program is 3 fold

#1 a time tracker... not just minutes, seconds and hours... but days months years....one where I can create a custom calendar telling it how many suns and moons my world has and what their time cycles are.

#2 linked to this would be a Weather generator that could tell me what the weather for that day or for the next hour or two would be based on the selection of climate and terrain zone the characters are in.

#3 Also linked to this would be a resource tracker where enter how much food and or water in "day units" (not necessary to get into specific food types) and then as I tick off time on the time tracker it deducts said resources from the players supplies. Could do it in Meal units .. 3 meals a day being average...

This is a Tool I would Like ti see brought forth or if there is one available, as a standalone so I can use it for Any system with out a bunch of extra stuff attached to it for a system I don't use, Please let me know where to find them.

Thanks much all. Love the Map tool resources.

aku
Dragon

Re: Time weather and Resources

Post by aku »

well, it's not a *tool application, but if you're doing dnd, i know http://www.mathemagician.net/Weather.html does weather... i dont see why the general concept cant be used with other systems though.

Jtolman5
Kobold

Post by Jtolman5 »

hmm yes that works for weather... a bit limited as it only covers a couple o climates (3 I beleive) and doesn't account for altitude. But it could work until I gind something better, thanks..

That just leaves me looking for a calender generator/time and resource tracker.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

though I know nothing about it, Masterplan seems to have a calendar feature for custom calendars.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

DM Genie has a Time/Weather Generator in it.

I tend to have it punch me out 3 months at a time.
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)
Shooting from the hip... Never the lip!

Jtolman5
Kobold

Post by Jtolman5 »

ya understand that but since the trail is limited and I don't want to pay for a product that is 905 made for a game system I don't play.. meh.

Saole
Kobold

Post by Saole »

aku wrote:well, it's not a *tool application, but if you're doing dnd, i know http://www.mathemagician.net/Weather.html does weather... i dont see why the general concept cant be used with other systems though.
Seems like a good tool, thanks for recommending it! I've never heard of it before.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It's way overkill just for generating weather because it does soooo much more, but DMMenie.com has a tool that does a very good job generating random weather as well as a calendar function that can detail phases of the moon(s) and similar things.

Mortuis
Cave Troll

Post by Mortuis »

DMGenie looks great, I've been looking for a calendar program for months now, and the weather generator would be really helpful as well.

I run linux though, and fired the thing up in wine. Has anyone else tried dmgenie in wine? It seemed to be throwing a lot of errors regarding skill checks, but it didn't crash because of them. I didn't see anything come up in the calendar and weather section though, which is all I'd really be buying it for anyway. Just wondering if anyone else here had any experiences they'd be willing to share since the DMGenie forum seems to be down.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

DMGenie sucks on anything but Windows. I've tried to get it to run under WINE in the past but gave up (and I'm no slouch on that kind of thing!). Of course, that was many years ago and I'm sure WINE is better now...

Run it in a Windows VM using VirtualBox or something similar.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”