I lurked on their site and on youtube, where they present it to different showroom:
- There is 2 device : the tracking device with a LCD screen, and the tracking device only (to use behind a classical paper monopoly...or behind a white board and video-projector, for exemple)
- The LCD device should be sold around 300 or 400$, the tracking only should be sold around 100$. They plan to sell it in France/Europ at the end of this year. (I guess there will be some EBay possibilities...)
- They use Electro-magnetic technology ( there is a grid under the LCD), so there is no "touch" effect. The tracking device could manage a square meter of surface.
- they can detect the height of a token : a token put on a "hill" for Warhammer battle is detected higher.
- They use asics chip to be fast enough in tracking.
- They use a little "box" under the plastic/lead token, wich use a battery Cell. The precision is around 1mm, and 1 degree for rotation. The box is identified (serial number?) by the device.
- There is no real computer behind to keep the device "cheap" : so actually it's connected to an IPhone, but they plan to launch a Android and a PC SDK. On the Demo, all graphics are generated by the iphone : the device is just working as a LCD Screen...
- there is some wifi communicationat this point, but I don't really know where.... they wanted to use bluetooth, but it was too much costly with some apple licence restriction at this moment for their startup...
- The CTO and CEO worked in simulation and augmented reality (where i was involved too some years ago) for a big company, before creating the startup company. I saw there was some (distant) link with old relation i had at this time
They even show it could be possible to move and track robots on the epawn : real Token moving themselves would be amazing...(ok, on a roleplay side, An elf who's making an electric motor noise while "moving silently in the forest" isn't really perfect, but it will be good enough for them, as I don't like Elves...)