The VBL layer

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Aspid
Kobold

The VBL layer

Post by Aspid »

When you open de VBL you can't see the "Snap to grid" and also u can't use it but I think it could be useful.

Its imposible to do a circle? (I'm talking to the people who program this) because when you try to make a circle with the tool, you get a geometric shape, that's fine, I'm just curious here.

With the sme tool, when you make click and then you move your mouse you can't see the shape gowing uo, you just wanit and discover what you just did n the second click, I think this should work as the square tool, with the previous form in red.

Also I think that the bottom that I show down should change for other like the oprions that I propouse because, unless for me, it looks like something with curves.

I not good drawing so I show the bottoms of an option like this in paint.

I know that all of this ist not a big deal and it is not urgent, but it came to my mind so I post it.

patoace
Dragon

Re: The VBL layer

Post by patoace »

If you keep ctrl pressed while drawing your VBL forms, they will be snap to grid.

Also, the circle tool was changed to a more polygonal shape for performance reasons.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

patoace wrote:If you keep ctrl pressed while drawing your VBL forms, they will be snap to grid.

Also, the circle tool was changed to a more polygonal shape for performance reasons.
It would be nice if the circle had more detail for the polygon. Perhaps make the number of points based on the radius and the grid size. So, larger circles will create more points.

As is, I usually have to draw the circle myself. I would say take the circumference divided by 2/3 the grid size rounded to the nearest even number.

So, currently there are 10 points and on a 50px grid and circle with a 50px radius seems to look good (doesn't go outside a drawn circle with the texture painter). So, in that default case, the circumference is about 315 and using my formula would make it 10 points. Now with a larger circle, radius 250px that would become 48 points and not reveal other area outside the circle or chop off the circle interior. This will cause the VBL to fall with in a 10px wall. I usually make my walls 1/5 of the grid (1ft).

Pseduo-code:

Code: Select all

defined: gridSize, x-radius, y-radius
circumference = pi * sqrt( 2 * (sqr(x-radius) + sqr(y-radius)))
numPoints = round(circumference / (gridSize * 2 / 3))
if( numPoints/2 != round(numPoints/2)): numPoints = numPoints +1
numPoints = max(10,numPoints)
edit: Perhaps keep the minimum of 10 to maintain the shape.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Every line in VBL adds up and if you do a series of circles for a forest, a hundred 20 sided polygons would kill performance in a hurry. They may be a little unsightly when larger but there is a good reason circles have fewer facets.

Many people tend to use Xs for round shapes as it blocks sight past the object but still lets you see most of it at the same time.
I cast firecube! ~4E

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Jector wrote:Many people tend to use Xs for round shapes as it blocks sight past the object but still lets you see most of it at the same time.
This. Good way to handle buildings, rocks, trees, etc.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I agree using an X is better in some circumstances. The little formula I made doesn't change the circle vbl drawing for a 2x2 area or smaller, so unless you had really big tree trunks I don't see that as a negative. I think the goal of my formula is to closely follow a drawn circle that the players can see. Entering a large circular cavern or building requires the vbl to be manually drawn not using the circle tool because the area outside the circle is exposed or the room is cut off. It's not so much about aesthetics, but about revealing too much or too little.

But this is only a wish list item because it's not going to be done for 1.3 anyway. Another wish list item would be an X tool. Just like the box except it draws an X instead.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

I agree with aliasmask as how do you contend with a circular staircase with a wall on both sides? Or a tower? I normally use the circle tool and if too much of the stairs get cut, I re-do the VBL by hand. I also right click to set waypoints for VBL when making dungeons so it is as close to the wall as possible, but still be able to use the grid.

JElmore
Kobold

Post by JElmore »

aliasmask wrote:But this is only a wish list item because it's not going to be done for 1.3 anyway. Another wish list item would be an X tool. Just like the box except it draws an X instead.
I agree; this would be a great addition to the VBL tools.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Yeah ... it's ready to use but cut out by the feature freeze.

Maybe it will make it so some user hack build...

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

CoveredInFish wrote:Yeah ... it's ready to use but cut out by the feature freeze.

Maybe it will make it so some user hack build...
Heh.. I guess that was a reference to me eh? Yea... once the "final" build goes out, I will likely have a custom build within a week or so, though I may have several updates to it to add in the functionality I want for my home game and have not made the time yet to code all of them.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”