Rp tools for android based OS

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Rp tools for android based OS

Post by Azhrei »

Well, if you want someone to pick up that project you'll need to be specific: what do you see as "must have" features vs. "nice to have" features?

Remember that some of the "simple" stuff will often rely on more complicated aspects. For example, movement is an easy thing to request, but MT currently blocks movement into solid VBL areas; should the tablet do the same? When the token moves, do you want automatic exposure of FoW?

This type of project would be a great proof-of-concept for some tablet UI requirements: what's the best way to move a token, pan the map, zoom the map, multi-select tokens, and so on. Things learned while building an app like this could feed back into the UI design for MT 2.0...

tooley1chris
Cave Troll

Post by tooley1chris »

As far as I'm concerned, I just want to see a map editor /Creator for tablet. Doing this and THEN adding features seems easiest way to implement such an app. At least that's how others have done it in the past.
The ability to lay background, tiles, objects, tokens, and perhaps VBL would be a wonderful start. Exporting maps as wel, of course. :D
BRP. The last RPG system you'll ever need. http://basicroleplaying.org/

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

Update

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JaI ... sp=sharing

first half of installing Java all automatic like is done and can now be tested for those that have ARM Linux. This will download, extract, link, and update Java 7 soft float just like the directions for manually doing it.

I'll be testing and writing up the second bit for installing Java 8 hard float and the switches between the two shortly.
And I'll be testing whether or not Maptools will even open anything, but, if you don't want to wait on me and my timeline then try it out if you have a system prepped for this.
Note: this script should also work for Raspberry Pi users as well

You'll still have to download and extract Maptools, Linux style, but that is already well documented and it looks as though most of the readers here already know how to do that part.

I'm glad that you're all interested in this project and I hope that we can get the full version up and running on mobile soon (either with this method or with a direct port) this method should allow of simple hosting and guest services with very simple maps. I expect that the limitations for this will have to be worked around... but I've already been putting a lot of time into doing just that, so don't worry to much about having not enough memory or CPU in the future... though, in the here and now it'll be a present limitation.

I'll be putting some extensive work on this and soon (tomorrow or late tonight) be posting my results :D
I have ported Maptools Mobile for Android.
link to guide to do it yourself step by step
Maptools on ARM (Android & Pi)
or
rptools [Guide] thread
link to script to use after using section 1 of above guide
My github Repos
You may contact me through the document that I'm writing or though email or through one of the mirrors that I've posted this information on for public viewing such as XDA Developers or through PM through this very site.

tooley1chris
Cave Troll

Post by tooley1chris »

Great news SoandSo! Thanks so much for your work!

Guyon
Cave Troll

Post by Guyon »

I would be happy to pay for a lite version that:

1: Let me load in tokens with my pictures of monsters and heroes.

2: Let me load in a terrain that had a grid that snapped to for movement.

2a: table/ Terrain could be tilted and rotated for easy viewing

3: 1 time reasonable price.

All future updates would be gravy, like stats, etc

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

tooley1chris wrote:Great news SoandSo! Thanks so much for your work!
You're welcome. Believe it or not but I did most of it (including these last few posts because I've not been able to get my PC out for a few days) on a screen less than 4" wile on lunches and in the middle of the night.

I do things the hardway sometimes but I'll always blaze a trail for others to have it easier :D

As far as all these people trying to throw money offers at light or full versions; try Kickstarter or start helping with getting the word out to those that can help, because I'd be happy to help with developing an app that makes the most out of android and Maptools and have already started some of the foundations for user interface linking and networking between androids and PC, but, I'm one human right now, and have many things that I'm juggling just with the Open projects that I'm working on.
That being said I'll continue my work here with you all and hopefully we can start testing the limits :D I'll be on tomorrow more; work gave me the option for more XP and I took it greatfully as they pay my bills and treat me well, had some odd jobs in the past...
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos
You may contact me through the document that I'm writing or though email or through one of the mirrors that I've posted this information on for public viewing such as XDA Developers or through PM through this very site.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Just thought I would add that my "dream" Face-to-Face gaming environment would involve everyone sitting in my front room around a touch surface table (like Playsurface) while I do occasional DM-stuff via a tablet.

There would probably be beer, as well.

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

Good morning all,
I'll be on throughout the day today (work gave me the day off :D)
There is a fantastic turn out here for me to feel like I'll have a audience to develop for, so thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Jagged wrote:Just thought I would add that my "dream" Face-to-Face gaming environment would involve everyone sitting in my front room around a touch surface table (like Playsurface) while I do occasional DM-stuff via a tablet.

There would probably be beer, as well.
You've nearly hit the "nail on the head" as far as what I'll be putting out this year (provided that I can get the support behind it) though I think you and all the readers are going to like this one ;)

So yes to face to face gaming (and beer) that one of the biggest goals for my project with porting these things into mobile platforms. And the "playsurface is a fantastic way to go about this (if we're not taking this on the road) and will likely port well into a system like that with mobiles being used mainly as a user input (mouse/keyboard) for the main screen. Though I've a way to make this all fit into a small cary-on bag or just in our pockets... How? Well read on readers :)

First we port the full version to mobile Linux (I'll be testing that after posting this)
Then we grab a "Laser Pico Projector" and hook it up to the "server" or "host" device~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGjUIsPKu3U
~look it up, get excited and then ask, "why this isn't in all our devices already?" then get excited again because that company has some that should hook into any of our more modern Androids and Ipads/Iphones.

Second we "hang" or mount the Pico Projector so that it's pointed down at a map (grid printed on vinyl) from above, we also point the camera of the "host" device down at it too so that we can go to the third part

Third we use the Android OS side of things and an app similar or identical to this one~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frrZbq2LpwI
~and set it up so that it recognizes your miniatures and their location so that it can automatically update the Linux OS that is running the virtual version of the map on Maptools to the changes that happen on your physical game board and send those updates to your "remote" or "guest" users that can be in the same room on their device or states away (makes no difference as to distance so long as it's networked correctly but this will serve the DM greatly as with my experience with many in person games, usually DND 3.5, people end up on their phones anyways and usually end up distracted, this will allow us as DM's to be like "hey look at your phone dude and move your character" either in person or via text or chat :D and keep the game rolling)

Forth we then use the inputs from the guest devices to update Maptools that is then projected onto your physical game map with the virtual miniatures side by side with the ones that you've got there already.

Fifth we'll then wrap it all up into an easy user interface that has auto collision detection between the physical and virtual versions of the map.

Then comes the extra features that will be released as free updates:
- Hand and gesture recognition
this will allow us to "click" or "swipe" near a character (virtual or physical) either on the device or on the table top that we're projecting on and watching with your devices' on board camera. And pull up menus or information based on the context of what your action is selecting.
- Voice recognition and transcription
this will allow us to send verbal attack commands to NPC's quickly and open up "war gaming" where each player has their own collection of NPC's to direct. And give a quicker way to fill the chat window with text instead of a keyboard or screen
- Animations/Sprites
then work will begin on making it so that when characters move in real life, then a "ghost" image walks from the place that it started to where it ended up (thus eliminating the question "where am I?" and "where did my partner go?" and "where did my enemy run off to" that get asked whenever the beer flows to freely ;) ) set it on a replay button for those that need it. And for the virtual side of things I'm thinking full animation templates for simple movements and attacks... mainly the spell casters in your party are really going to enjoy this because it'll allow us to see that fire ball rolling around and getting everything suety.
_____

This is what I'll be working on and trying to prototype this year (among other things that I do :D ) If we can get support up and running for the development/prototyping (such as Kickstarter which I'll be looking into starting with you all if there is enough interested) then we could likely have a real life working full version of this for those that want to do beta testing and development for under a few hundred dollars for the hardware and less than $20 (probably way less) for the software kit for developing and Free (yes free) for players and those that are of the DIY mentality, though hardware costs will still be hardware costs as far as the Pico is concerned.
All of this being said I'm sure there will be questions as to how to get all this to play happily with the different compoinits and there may even be a nay sayer or two ( I live with one that, I love dearly, that "nay says" these things probably just to make me prove her wrong ;D I'm sure ) and I'll tell ya this, it's going to take me time to build this "Epic Pie" and money and then more time... but all the puzzle pieces are there just sitting there, and have been sitting there for years, its just until recently no one has come forward with the "box" to the puzzle that shows the picture that should have been there all along ;) so out of an attitude of "well best get on that and make it happen" I'm here to not only describe the picture but also start painting it all in for us like some kind of "Bob Ross" as a hacker :D
_____
Hope you all enjoyed the dream and that you're all quaking with anticipation; and that I didn't lose any of ya in the ramblings. Because this is going to be one of the sweetest systems to not only game with but there will also be many other fantastic things that I'll be covering to do with this when where not running Maptools that will change many of the things that where once thought possible within our life times (the guide and scripts that I'm doing in the open is just the tip of a very big set of changes I'll be rolling out)... so lets change the way we thought gaming could be done and change the world wile we do it, any help with this is welcome as are comments and any activity you all can bring to make the right people see what's going on is appreciated (currently and in the future)
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos

Guyon
Cave Troll

Post by Guyon »

@S0AndS0
I am not as big of a thinker, and would be happy for just a basic RPtools on my pad. But your idea is major game changing. Taking RPG into the 23 century today. If you get anything working on a tablet. And I mean anything, you will be my hero.
That said, if you need any graphics help, I would be be glad to pitch in as an artist, from hand drawn to fancy interface buttons ;)

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

@Guyon
8) yeah I live in the future all the time :lol:
The basic functions will all be ported and usable before to long and tested with full guidance very soon if I have anything to do with this (which I kinda do right ;) ) because being a Hero to others is my second biggest childhood dream of all time...
I'll certainly take you up on the offer for graphics; I've done work (lots in the past) but with my current timeline for myself your help will be appreciated so that people can get something pre-made for this ported system and having nice buttons for "covering up" the scripts would make it significantly friendlier to start and enjoy.

@ all readers
OK it's lunch time for me, I've sent out an email to those that I know personally, that may or may not know how much I care about them and playing with them until they read it, but they do now and some maybe adventurers enough to join in to this with us and start limit testing what can be done and how many people can connect in and still have it function... fingers crossed... and I'll be doing some more work and testing and reporting when I've got a little food to fuel my take over of the world :twisted:
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos

Guyon
Cave Troll

Post by Guyon »

@S0AndS0
Messaged you my email for when you need some graphics power.

Side question: Will this appear in the PlayStore when we get stage 1 up and running?

Thanks

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

@ Guyon
Message received; drafting a response though email, and, it the response will be sent in 24 hours or less if I can. Currently I've sleep to get to and work in the morning :)

Yes it will be on the play store, I've read up on how to submit and everything (taken notes on it too) and it's something that I can and will do :D... But we'll get to play with pre-alpha for a little wile; probably 6 to 12 months, shorter if I can figure out the donate thing and work more "full time" on this because if it pays the bills I'll work at this pace for weeks on end :)

Super thankful to have you aboard :D
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos

tooley1chris
Cave Troll

Post by tooley1chris »

Wish I could aid in the construction as well but my skills are lacking. I DO, however ,know how to push a "Donate " button and will be looking for it! :D

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

tooley1chris wrote:Wish I could aid in the construction as well but my skills are lacking. I DO, however ,know how to push a "Donate " button and will be looking for it! :D
Cool, you can help; I still need testers (to report errors and suggest changes) for when we go pre'alpha with this :) and don't worry to much about a lack of skill, much of what I'm doing can be learned with a little time and reading... I've also done my best to make the learning curve for scripting in Bash an easy an incline instead of the daunting cliff that it was when I started writing for Bash; see the Crazyflie Install script that I wrote for the XDA user that hit me up on controlling Quadcopters, all the way at the bottom of the google doc are comments that I've made with links out to the definitions that I found useful for learning what each command was really doing and I'll be doing simular commenting to the Java Installer so anyone can understand what is happening and how to make edits if on their device something is causing errors :)
Further more; if you've got anyone that you know that has experience with programming either for Maptools or for Android I'm still looking for a few more people to join this dev "A Team" I expect we'll need someone with Java, someone with map-making/game-making for Maptools, and someone with networking experience... I've done some of each but as I'm just one person I'm hopping around like some kind of hacker on a pogo stick :D which means I'll eventually get it all done (because I dedicate "blocks" of time to each subject); we can just get it done faster with some more "hands on the keyboards" in different time zones.

lol; I'll be getting round to the "Donate" button when the Java Install script runs or is completed to the point that it actually can install with minimal user input ;) because I should prove that I'm worth it before accepting any funds for this complex project... I was raised to be an ethical worker all my life so I'm not about to change that just because I'm behind a keyboard (like that hides anyone anymore :roll: )...

I'll also be getting a git-hub or some other file hosting service up and running so that users can "clone" the project and add revisions to the "testing" branch...
so yeah I've a lot of work to get done and working on this project is what I'm going to go do with my time because my work gave me the day off, I'll be testing and re-writing the Java installer (hopefully get that working today) and add the parts for downloading Maptools and extracting it to the script too.

Like I said I've the day off from work; so I'll be online all day today for support with any issues or questions that I can help with relating to Linux on Android and the running of Maptools on that system, so any reader that's reading this, feel free to hit me up, I'll get back to you if I can help and when I see a question... until then you all can watch me work (if that's what your into) on google docs ;)

Guyon wrote:Slightly off topic but with relevance to android tablets (which you will want when this project gets done):

Barns and Nobles now has sale for their Nook HD+ for only $150. The HD+ runs full android market and has better specs that the newest Ipad! Though the HD's lack of a camera does not bother me as my digital camera runs circles around any tablet camera. The HD+ even had features that the IPAD does not. I can not tell you how well this tablet works, do chack it out at the store or online reviews.
Yes tablets will be supported and encouraged for all the releases (alpha and pre'alpha especially)

I've looked at the Nook HD (briefly) but really the concern is whether or not you can easily achieve "Root" on what ever device you want to run this system on, because currently that's how we get Linux on Android (I'll be looking into non-root ways to do this and or "hacks" to "stock" devices for those that don't or can't Root)
The price can't be argued with and with "USB host mode" (if your device can support it) you maybe able to connect your camera through a modded USB cable (not really that hard to do) and then you'll have a sweet camera and a big screen to see it all on too :D mainly though you'll want to "search" the XDA and related hack/mod forums for what devices you'll be able to easily root and "un-brick"the un-brick is important because it's rare to brick a device with Linux but pretty easy if you flash something bad, however, recovering from a "soft-brick" or "boot-loop" isn't that hard, sooo, do a little preemptive work to ensure that if you run into some problem with the device not turning on completely you can then just restore instead of "rip your hair out with frustration" which might be why I've a thinning hairline now :oops: 8) I've "boot-looped" and "simi-bricked" all of the devices that I own, multiple times, and it takes less than an hour to fully restore my system (now that I've backed up all the guides that relate to my specific devices and the files required) and the prep time for doing the preemptive work now only takes and hour or two to track down everything to root and restore root when I get a new device. I've got a section in the main guide to help with tracking down all this info with google I think, section 5 maybe, should show how to construct google searches for the best results.
Last edited by S0AndS0 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos

Guyon
Cave Troll

Post by Guyon »

Slightly off topic but with relevance to android tablets (which you will want when this project gets done):

Barns and Nobles now has sale for their Nook HD+ for only $150. The HD+ runs full android market and has better specs that the newest Ipad! Though the HD's lack of a camera does not bother me as my digital camera runs circles around any tablet camera. The HD+ even had features that the IPAD does not. I can not tell you how well this tablet works, do chack it out at the store or online reviews.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”