Rp tools for android based OS

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Rp tools for android based OS

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:I don't think you'll ever be able to port to an android device. What you should be able to do is attach the device to a server with a new program that makes use of some of the base classes. The UI would change completely as would the capabilities. I could see the ability to view a map with the possibility of moving tokens around and maybe running predefined macros against the server. Such a server plugin will be possible in future versions.
Well.. the biggest issue right now is the deep binding of the "worker" code to the UI code. There is code that is really back-end worker type stuff(think in a post office how there are probably 4 times as many employees in the back as what you see up front) that are directly modifying UI (and thus there is a strict dependence on WHAT that UI is(in this case, Java Swing/AWT.. which does not exist on the Android platform, only on desktops)

Unfortunately, it's quite hard(well.. just a lot more work in the planning stages, as well as having to be very disciplined as you go along) to create totally unconnected code. It can be done if you start with that goal in mind(can I have a system that can have a UI that is webbased or OS native UI based and not have to rewrite the actual "guts" of the code that does all the big stuff. ), but that is very hard to do with an existing application that is all tangled together.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I was referring to 1.4 or 2.0 when the OSGi arch is in place.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

tec-goblin
Kobold

Post by tec-goblin »

It's not just "porting". The whole UI needs to be adapted to touch feedback: larger targets, different organisation of information. And then you need to test it in different form factors (with 7'' and less - the most successful Android form factors - being really limiting)

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17rb ... sp=sharing
Howdy all thought I would share the above link as I ran across this issue about a year ago and finely got around to writing up my work around (the above link) which may yet be the answer best answer to date on this issue.
Its a guide I've been working on for 6 or more months on my own and is now up for shearing with the general public. This guide will step you though installing Linux dule booted with Android, we then install Java run time and development tool kit, install maptools and then be a happy camper... quite literally in some cases as one of the methods in my guide my be able to let you all network between devices just as we do with maptools on the PC side of things, which means soon we can take it camping and not lug around a laptop... though I've been on this like I said for sometime now the guide as a whole is still under construction in places and I've not got everything "fool proofed" yet so there are of course some small risk.
Quick list of things you'll already need to have: A rooted android phone or tablet, capable of running 'Debian Kit' from the Android marketplace, with some experience performing new tasks and lots of time everyone should be able to run this mobely now.

Note: comments about the guide should be directed at the guide or it's mirrors because I'll likely not see them here until I check back on you all.
Note: it looks like its been awhile for this thread, hope the reply helps you all and future google searchers as that is how I found this thread every time.
I have ported Maptools Mobile for Android.
link to guide to do it yourself step by step
Maptools on ARM (Android & Pi)
or
rptools [Guide] thread
link to script to use after using section 1 of above guide
My github Repos
You may contact me through the document that I'm writing or though email or through one of the mirrors that I've posted this information on for public viewing such as XDA Developers or through PM through this very site.

tooley1chris
Cave Troll

Post by tooley1chris »

Thread rolls system shock for resurrection... success!
I'd personally pay hmmm, say $50 for a version of maptools (even JUST the map making capabilities ) for my android Kindle Fire. Java emultator?
BRP. The last RPG system you'll ever need. http://basicroleplaying.org/

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

tooley1chris wrote:Thread rolls system shock for resurrection... success!
I'd personally pay hmmm, say $50 for a version of maptools (even JUST the map making capabilities ) for my android Kindle Fire. Java emultator?
@tooley1chris
I may have rolled successfully on resurrection
but I'll have to make additional rolls before we can call it full reanimation (normaly I'm in the necro class for RP'ing)
@tooley1chris & Other readers of this thread
I believe the Kindle Fire may be one of the devices that can be rooted and have the above method (in my previous post) work to have maptools run on your device. Some tags to make your searching easier would be:
root+kindle+fire site:http://forum.xda-developers.com/
or
root+kindle+fire similar:http://forum.xda-developers.com/
once you've read up on rooting and you thing you're ready to take the dive if you've not done so already in the past, use the following Google searches just like the above ones (copy/paste into Google search bar)
unroot+kindle+fire site:http://forum.xda-developers.com/
unbrick+kindle+fire site:http://forum.xda-developers.com/
adb+flash+kindle+fire site:http://forum.xda-developers.com/
recover+from+soft+brick+kindle+fire site:http://forum.xda-developers.com/
recover+from+boot+loop+kindle+fire site:http://forum.xda-developers.com/
those quarries will preemptively educate you as a user on how to fix your device and the files to download to do so (look for stock recovery files and stock update.zip(s)) because eventually you may run into the dreaded "boot loop" or "soft brick" and having all the steps to recover and the related files to do so will keep you as a, new or experienced, user of Android root from getting to frustrated when that happens. I can say after hacking and modding and rooting android and Symbian phones (yes that may be a blast from the past for some that know what the Symbian OS for phones was, but I've been hacking on mobile hardware sense those days :twisted: ) I have yet to "super brick" or "full brick" any of my devices, yes, it may take me a day or more to restore the hardware, but so long as I've access to it and the rest of the world I can always solve my issue with search queries constructed similar to the above examples.

As far as coast goes the current method should be relativity "coast free" aside from time and more time the money shouldn't have to change hands... That being said I am working on a developer donate button though Google Wallet that will be placed on my Google+ and other development sites I frequent, this will not be for Maptools development specifically but instead for the development project that I'm working on as a whole (android mobile super cloud computer) however, there will be a place for people to put in a request on what their "tip" should be used for (you all can always email me or message me for free to state what you want me working on for free too, I'm helpfull as much of the time as I can be throughout the day) with in that project and I will base my attention heavily on those topics within the guide that get the most attention from other users. In other words I'll be working on this among other things but I can be "peer-pressured" into faster development or my time can be "bought".

Update to status of running Maptools Natively on Android With Debian Kit?
I have split the "Main Guide" that I've been working on into a smaller "clone guide" specifically for running Maptools on Android.
It is still what I would call "pre-alpha" or "very rough" because I just copy pasted the core directions from the main guide into this clone (link right bellow)

Guide to Running Maptools On Android
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W0H ... sp=sharing

I will be getting onto fixing this today at some point and get it to a readable state for you all here, by the end of the day. I hope to get it to "beta" level of readability. And have something that I can submit in the form of a new thread here on the rptools forums by the end of the week; I'll add links into this post and my previous post in this thread to direct you where to go when that is set up. Likely the full guide that will, step by step, take you from a rooted android phone (or tablet) all the way to hosting or joining a Maptools is still a little ways off (few weeks at the most) this is because I'm only one guy with only my lifetime to spend on this, however, I've a lot of pressure from my "other half" to not only finish this project for Maptools specifically but also (and you all should nerd sequel with me if you can) I will be writing scripts (script pack app) for the android side of things that will (at first) at the push of one button; download and install all the necessary components of Linux to your Android device, then at the push of a second button; download and install all the dependencies that allow Maptools to run, then at the push of a third button; download and install Maptools, from there we should be ready to rock and role with a simple app or script pack and then only need the guide for technical support and reference (this is a stretch goal but one of the things that I'm currently starting on)

Yesterday before my previous post was approved by a mod or admin (yes I am that new to this forum as far as my account will show) I worked on a parallel project "Installing jMonkey SDK to Android" I tell you all this because it is going to look very similar to the guide that I'm writing for Maptools as well, find the link bellow

jMonkey Specific Guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_Nn ... sp=sharing

This will only be relovent to those of you that wished to have a 3D experience to game making/development/hosting and not have to learn something other than Java. jMonkey is very powerful and has many similarities to Maptools in that it allows it's users to build and develop games for others and then publish them for free onto many devices (Android included) it just has a much steeper learning curve and a much longer development time coast when working on a project as an individual.

For both of these side projects that I'm doing and the Main Guide project one thing that will come to pass between all of them will be syncing of files between all networked devices, this will allow you all to have your game project files move effortlessly between your mobile development device (android phone or tablet) to any other device in your house hold (computers and laptops and such) at the push of as few buttons as possible.

I realize this is a long post but I will always try to supply the best and most current information and doing so requires that I use many words (this is because I've yet to figure out the Vulcan mind meld thing :roll: ) I will be keeping you all up to date on how this guide for installing Maptools for Android as best as I can, but it takes a day or two for post to get approved before I'm out of the probation period for these forums here. This is not a complaint as I fully understands what happens when there is not a system like that in place to protect against spam, just the truth, you all are reading this after I wrote it and after it's been approved. So if you are feeling impatient, or have to know what is currently being done, you can fallow the work as it's being done at one of the, many, Google Doc's links that I've posted up here and in my signature. Commenting within the Guide has been turned on and once I get it to a state that it can be posted up on these forums I will be making the Guide on Google "publicly" editable, this means that when I do that, any of you will be able to make additions and modifications to the guide too.

Thanks all for your time and I hope to hear from ya all about this. 8) ... oh and I've email notifications turned on on this thread for right now so I'll see ya if any posts back a question or comment here, it'll just be a day (or more) for the response from me...

EDIT: 05242013 (yes I prefer to edit my posts instead of spamming the page with new posts, it means less pages for all readers to read though in order to find new information on this topic)
So the guide's that are referenced in the above links (jMonkey and Maptools)"should" be usable now, they'll look very similar for a little wile aside from the very end where java dependencies and installation of the actual program is concerned this is because the methods of set up are almost Identical. The reason that such similar things should be separated is that the dependencies for Java are different for these two programs and mixing them up caused me some errors recently and now I'm down to re-installing Linux onto my phone (again) no worries though this happens to me a lot because I'm contently testing things and breaking things in order to notate what should be done and what should be avoided, this is to keep people from falling into easy mistakes that would have happened without the author making them for you :wink: I'll be back up and running with a new install a few hours after I begin the process.

If you are going to attempt to install Maptools on your Android device with the guide that I've linked here, then one suggestion; try the install to '.img' file instead of a partition for the Debian Kit method and make a copy of that file once you've a Linux system that you are happy with and that boots without anything extra installed to it (aside from what is explicitly stated to install with the set up section of the guide) , this will allow you to delete the original one, if you mess up like I did and, then just copy the back up to where the original was and retry, this will avoid you having to go though the installation part of the guide multiple times until you've a working method to fallowing the instructions (which are nearly complete now) Hope this helps you all from repeating my errors and with debugging errors you run into along the way because having this up and running has been a dream for many for what seems to be a long time now. Once we do have a working and nearly fool proofed way of doing this then I'm sure that installing to a partition on the SD card will evidably be the preferred method as this will offer more space within the system to run Maptools services off of.
... ha, the links looked similar because the links where identical (yep, I always try to ensure I check that at some point) fixed it now though, links now go to their properly titled guides.
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos
You may contact me through the document that I'm writing or though email or through one of the mirrors that I've posted this information on for public viewing such as XDA Developers or through PM through this very site.

tooley1chris
Cave Troll

Post by tooley1chris »

Um.....HUH? I may fail my System Shock Roll just trying to read all of what you've suggested. That seems like an awful lot of ways for me to mess up my Kindle. LOL

On the brightside. I just side loaded Maptools onto my kindle and opened the .bat files using Silk for kindle (which has java) and I got the old error message that usually just means wrong version of JAVA. It's a start. need to find out if I can instal earlier versions of Java onto the Silk platform...

S0AndS0
Cave Troll

Post by S0AndS0 »

tooley1chris wrote:Um.....HUH? I may fail my System Shock Roll just trying to read all of what you've suggested. That seems like an awful lot of ways for me to mess up my Kindle. LOL

On the brightside. I just side loaded Maptools onto my kindle and opened the .bat files using Silk for kindle (which has java) and I got the old error message that usually just means wrong version of JAVA. It's a start. need to find out if I can in s tal earlier versions of Java onto the Silk platform...

Heh, I know it's a lot; been at the Android Linux thing for many moons... But I've yet to mess up any of my devices.

Neat, maybe there is a way to do it native on Android instead. But if not I'm now scripting a "one click" method for I installing Java 7 and 8 ARM versions, both hard float and soft float.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fVL ... sp=sharing
Currently ya can't run this version because it's under construction, but I'll be back on my day off to post the completed version. But you can watch me work on it in real time there and it includes links to three guides for manually installing Java ARM from source.
I should be done and posting the completed version that can be run on either Tuesday or wensday of this week. :)

Edit 9pm myTime- so yes the above script is cluttered with other stuff. Why? Because it came from a script I wrote for controlling a Quadcopter
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2240397
And am adapting for this because many of the commands are very similar and it show how to adapt it for your device and distribution... so yes it'll look funky but in the end it'll be pretty and easy to use.
or
rptools [Guide] thread
My github Repos

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

tooley1chris wrote:Um.....HUH? I may fail my System Shock Roll just trying to read all of what you've suggested. That seems like an awful lot of ways for me to mess up my Kindle. LOL

On the brightside. I just side loaded Maptools onto my kindle and opened the .bat files using Silk for kindle (which has java) and I got the old error message that usually just means wrong version of JAVA. It's a start. need to find out if I can instal earlier versions of Java onto the Silk platform...

A couple of things. First, unless MapTool is your VTT of choice to run games in, why would you ever consider it as primarily a map making application(I guess it also depends upon how you build you maps(big imported image files, "tiles", or textures from the MT library) and what type(dungeon, outdoors, etc).

Second, MapTool on a tablet really is a fairly bad idea for use during a game in most cases(at least at present). This of course depends a lot on the maps involved, but in many cases your biggest issue will be resource constraints(baring a very basic map!!) Tablets just are not built with the hardware(at least not currently) to really handle the same amount of raw memory and CPU cycles as a dedicated computer will.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that S0AndS0 is playing with this stuff, but at least for me and how I DM, I see very little practical use(ie, using largeish maps, VBL, and FOW... especially with Individual FOW) and much more of a "well.. if can technically be done, it's just more of an exercise in curiosity than something really useful". Of course, if you use MapTool in a more minimal way(especially if you don't use FOW which is a real memory eater), then this might be something I could see for players passing around the table while the GM has a desktop/laptop connected to a projector/TV, allowing players to use the tablet for movement of their token and macro execution.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

tooley1chris
Cave Troll

Post by tooley1chris »

Nah, jfraz, I ONLY want maptools on tablet so I can make/edit maps on the go. I have alot of down time at work but would rather not drag along my laptop.

Guyon
Cave Troll

Post by Guyon »

While I would love to see RPTools for Android tablets some, I understand that limitations might make it impossible. It is so feature rich and as a life long gamer see the real beauty in this project. I can still hope though ;)
Last edited by Guyon on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

jfrazierjr wrote:
tooley1chris wrote:Of course, if you use MapTool in a more minimal way(especially if you don't use FOW which is a real memory eater), then this might be something I could see for players passing around the table while the GM has a desktop/laptop connected to a projector/TV, allowing players to use the tablet for movement of their token and macro execution.
This. At least that's how I would use MT on a tablet. We play F2F with GM on the laptop, screen projected on table, but it would still be nice to be able to connect to MT server via laptop and (for me) ONLY see the map and allow me to move around and move my token(s). So when it's not my turn, I can zoom over to my token, plan my move, and then move it when it's my turn.

Basically, I wouldn't need the existing GUI, but disconnecting the map view from everything else still seems a daunting task so, just keep it in mind for 2.0.

Although chat client would be nice as well for "secret messaging to GM" to...
-Jamz

Guyon
Cave Troll

Post by Guyon »

Could there be a lite version of RPTools for Android? I don't use the PC version anymore because the screen is not where I play. In fact I would not be opposed to pay for a lite version of RPTools for my tablet.

tooley1chris
Cave Troll

Post by tooley1chris »

Guyon wrote:Could there be a lite version of RPTools for Android? I don't use the PC version anymore because the screen is not where I play. In fact I would not be opposed to pay for a lite version of RPTools for my tablet.
I'D toss money at that! :D

Guyon
Cave Troll

Post by Guyon »

There you go developers. I am sure you would get community behind an android tablet version for RPTool lite. I would be happy to do the graphics (interface, and starter maps, monsters, and characters) for the project just to see it get done.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”