website request

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

ltwally
Cave Troll

website request

Post by ltwally »

I'm pretty sure I've asked for it before, but I'm going to ask again and hope I'm not nagging:

It would be totally awesome if the server had a public variable of some form that it published containing the latest versions for the tools. There are various ways this can be achieved. The boon would be that the RPTools website could easily retrieve it an place it on the front page...

.... and so could other websites.

My players have been nagging me to have just such a thing on the front page of our game-site. But hand coding it would be .. well... ridiculous. However, if I could use PHP to grab the current release version of MapTool... that would be another story.

Any chance of this happening, webmaster?

Thanks,
-ltwally

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Actually, there's an unpublished file that gets updated on each build that you can glean that information from:

http://rptools.net/dist/maptool-development.txt
http://rptools.net/dist/maptool-release.txt

We do need to get that up on the main page. I believe mrice recently fixed the wiki logins so I'll be updating some stuff soon.

These files always have the same filename, and are always updated with each new build. All the tools have them, just change "maptool" for the tool you want. These are what drive the webstart launch script, so you can count on them being accurate.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Kizan
Giant

Post by Kizan »

How about an RSS feed for announcements like new releases and stuff?

Thanx,

Kizan

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hmmm, there used to be an RSS feed associated with individual forums ... but looks like that went away with the forum upgrade :P

That's ok, it didn't work very well anyway. I'll see what we can do.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”