Fluff, bells, and whistles!

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

mikey
Giant

Fluff, bells, and whistles!

Post by mikey »

I know this ship of Maptools is steaming head on into the waters of baseline functionality and useablity, passing the islands of fluff, bells, and whistles. I happen to agree with the Captain "Trevor" in his dedication.

What other apps are out there to use in conjuction with maptools to temporarily aide in the bells and whistles. In particular I am looking for the best, easiest, economical, and reliable way to introduce sound to the game without introducing more work for me the DM.

I am very good at multitasking, so this would be cake for me. We use Ventrillo and there is a way to ba able to ad .wavs , however it would require direct downloading of files on each of my crews computers and too much trouble to mess with. Other then holding the mic up to a speaker, what is availible?

Mikey

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

in Vent you can hot key 'switch to X input'. So you could easily map 2 hot keys for switching between mic and wav input. Then just use your favorite audio player. Just don't forget to switch inputs and press your push-to-talk key.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Try this:

http://www.rpgsoundmixer.com

Dorpond uses it - I don't but am thinking of doing so.

Dorpond - any chance of explaining how to use this utility?

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

mikey
Giant

What

Post by mikey »

It can't be that easy? can it? I have been all over their forums and it says to have everyone download the same files put them in the same exact location each computer, blah blah blah.

I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks

Mikey

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

You could also try rpgaudiomixer. It's free and really easy to use. Make sure to use the development version as it has separate volume controls for both your music and your background noise. One thing about RPG Audiomixer though, it works best if you create sound environment loops. The nice thing about RPG SoundMixer is that you can just put a bunch of sounds into the same batch and have the program play those sounds randomly. I also have RPG SoundMixer, but it takes longer for me to set up and organize than RPG Audiomixer.

Here's the link so you can try them both out: http://www.rpgaudiomixer.com/?page_id=37

If you really want to give RPG Audiomixer a good run, PM me and I can send you my audio environments.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

mikey
Giant

wow

Post by mikey »

Thanks, this is very generous of you. Thanks

Mikey :D

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Mikey, is your goal to have background music, or just sound effects ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

mikey
Giant

fluff

Post by mikey »

I am look for sound effects mostly. I normaly play with back ground music during my face to face game, but I lket another player handle that.

MikeY

mikey
Giant

forgot

Post by mikey »

I saw today where trevor requested us to post if anybody is developing any Patches for MT, unfortunatley I can not find it so I am postinf this here.

No promises I have a developer friend that can kick arse, however he is very perculiar. If it is something he is into he cranks out fantastic work, if it doesn't catch his fancy then it will be over before it even starts.

I asked him too look into the gifs and sound issues I harang you all with and he says he will look into this weekend.

He is a long time gamer and I am sure he will get snagged

Mikey

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Blakey wrote:Dorpond - any chance of explaining how to use this utility?
I love the tool and wouldn't game without it. This whole last month I created an adventure in Xen'drik that when it rained, the temple that the party was exploring would shift into Dal'Quor (this is a differnent plane - the plane of dreams). So I would play background hero type music, jungle sound effects (looping), Wind, and then when my timer would kick off (DMGENIE Time Keeping), I would simply click on the G key and create thunder (random looping). It would blend right in but it is great seeing my friends faces "Oh my god, it is going to rain, we have to get the hell out of here quick". Then my rain timer would go off some rounds later and then I would hit the H key for rain. I have it do a volumn swell so that it slowly fades in. Keep in mind that the thunder and rain are all looping on top of the Jungle, Music and wind effects so everything just blends in together.

It is very cool.

I think I have an advantage here though because I have my own recording studio where I recorded my band CD some 10 years ago. So mixing music, adjusting volumes and adding effects comes easy to me.

I could explain how to use RPGSoundmixer but when it comes to sound, there are many ways to go about it. You can make it so it is one click and everything plays or you can make it so you control every little track if you want so when that dwarf meets the party, you click on a key and you here "Hail to you champions!"

If there is a lot of interest, perhaps I can do a quick tutorial but it takes a lot of work and I would rather put that energy towards RPTools related tasks :)

Let me see what the next week brings for me; fair enough?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

One thing I would like to add is that Trevor is also thinking about adding sound in Maptool. While probably not at the level of RPGSoundmixer, it will probably be more for triggered sounds like when a character enters this space -> play this sound.

That might be all you need Mikey :)

So imagine when the party enters the old crypt. As soon as the get through the doorway, they hear in the distance in a low evil whisper "Get out..". Then move closer 5' and hear another "I smell fresh blood..". Then they move closer yet and hear "Come closer so I can feed..."

Make a saving throw! :lol:

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Does anyone know of a way to share that type of sounds over the 'net? We do use Ventrilo, and dLANbandit brought up the idea of switching inputs between mic and music, but I'd like to have both going simultaneously through Ventrilo. Or some other tool where we use Ventrilo for talk, and Tool X for background music?

I'm assuming rpgsoundmixer is just a single computer client-only computer package. If it has a client-server option then it might be all I need.

mikey
Giant

re

Post by mikey »

One thing I would like to add is that Trevor is also thinking about adding sound in Maptool. While probably not at the level of RPGSoundmixer, it will probably be more for triggered sounds like when a character enters this space -> play this sound.

That is exactly what I am looking for and exactly what my buddy said he would look into. I do not need music but more or less sound effects, short sweet, to the point.

After reading your face 2 face games though, sounds like your crew is very lucky to you as a DM. :D

Mikey

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: re

Post by dorpond »

mikey wrote: After reading your face 2 face games though, sounds like your crew is very lucky to you as a DM. :D
Awww.. Shucks.... *blush*

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

dorpond wrote:One thing I would like to add is that Trevor is also thinking about adding sound in Maptool. While probably not at the level of RPGSoundmixer, it will probably be more for triggered sounds like when a character enters this space -> play this sound.
I would be interested in this too :)
Game On!

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”