The Deck Tool

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

trevor wrote:In fact vry made an interesting comment to me that it could be used to define super custom dice. Build the table to roll the dice you want, then put dice images as results instead of card results. Neat.
You know, if you made these things gif-able then you could have animated dice. :-)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:
trevor wrote:In fact vry made an interesting comment to me that it could be used to define super custom dice. Build the table to roll the dice you want, then put dice images as results instead of card results. Neat.
You know, if you made these things gif-able then you could have animated dice. :-)
There's nothing stopping you from using gifs ;) The problem is that the way the gifs are loaded don't automatically animate. I have to build that in.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Still waiting patiently for animated portraits as well.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

what is the status on this?

I have a project/game that some friends are developing (I was once more actively involved in this, but now I've been out of it for a bit), but the short of it is that it uses a map, 4-5 sets of cards (I'm not sure anymore), dice and tokens. Maptool could handle it all, but I need to know what the status of the card set is.

Thanks
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Re: The Deck Tool

Post by Guest »

Anything ever come of this project. I tried all the links to see duviks cards, they seem to be broken. I did download WotC deck of many things. nice I think Im going to make them into a deck of cards (like old school) and laminate them. I thought that if Duviks was nicer I would use them.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

It's on hold until after 1.3 it out
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Kiyosa
Kobold

Post by Kiyosa »

I am very excited for this idea and hope it is realized soon. I'm very grateful that the official version 1.3 may be right around the corner, MapTool has really saved my table-top gaming.

The reason I think this will be such a revelation for MapTool is that it will allow pretty seamless creation and integration of various card-drawing wargames in MapTool. I know there are several really good war-game centered tools out there already (Vassal comes to mind, MegaMek for BattleTech) but the ability to have the system agnosticism of MapTool for wargaming would be really wonderful.

Also, I've made a cool mechanic for my current table-top game where the players occasionally get some plot control and manipulation powers through drawing from a Tarot deck and actually integrating that function in MapTool would be really quite sweet.

(Graphically rolled dice like those seen in the ever-clunky Fantasy Grounds might be a cool bauble as well)

ryffreturns
Kobold

Post by ryffreturns »

As a programmer long-in-the-tooth, I would like to suggest that what Maptool is missing is simply automated containers. The cards are, as some have rightly pointed out, simply tokens. As would be dice. The concepts of "decks" and "piles", are really different names for the same thing; and a "hand" is the same thing with slightly different display permissions (from a player's POV).

What is needed is a container that:
  • can hold tokens (optionally, with a limit to max number contained)
  • can randomize the sequence of elements
  • can randomly expose/display a contained element (= a die roll)
  • can eject an element to the map (or another container) in the following ways:
    • can randomly eject an element and, optionally, expose/display it (= drawing a card at random face down; or face up)
    • can sequentially eject (from top or bottom) an element, as above (= drawing from top or bottom)
    • allows player to manually eject an element and, optionally, expose/display it (= playing a card)
  • can be distributed into a specified number of new containers in sequence or at random (a) until 0 elements remain (cutting), or (b) until new containers hit a specified limit (dealing)
  • can be manually ordered, if "owned" by a player/GM (= working with your hand)
On the intake side:
  • can accept a token in at random
  • can accept a token in on top
  • can accept a token in on bottom
  • can reject a token if limit specified and container is full

Duvik
Giant

Post by Duvik »

And the thread lives on!!! mwahahahhahahaha

I'm still alive and kickin ya see... yeah, yeah... hmmm... just been on hiatus ya see, yeah, yeah.

I've got some ideas kickin around for this tool ya see. yeah. yeah.

1.3 is almost done ya see... yeah, yeah.

I'm not sure if my Bugsy routine translates well to a forum ya see... yeah, yeah.

Umm... that's all folks... move along... nothing to see here... ya see? yeah, yeah.

Ya, it's 4 AM and I'm still awake and on the maptools site... so sue me.

Get Paid to Run Games! Check out The Elite Array at The Tangled Web

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

Kiyosa
Kobold

Post by Kiyosa »

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Drama_Cards

This kind of thing could also be implemented in a raelly fun way with a deck drawing tool.

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

Most probably missing some important information that was given, seeing as I'm new. But when I think of a deck tool I think of more than card games. I think of random encounters, events, and rewards. I also think of games like Monopoly.
(Is it integrated somewhere? If so, I missed it.)
Overcome your mental barriers and open your mind.
Do this and the answers that elude you will be placed at your feet.
Then again, answers are meaningless without the questions.

Wing
Kobold

Post by Wing »

trevor wrote:It's on hold until after 1.3 it out
So I'm just wondering since Maptool is on version 1.3b73, has this idea been given any more consideration or is it still in development?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I'm working through the patches in my incoming queue right now, but I don't expect this will be in there. Which means it will have to wait for 1.4.

Wing
Kobold

Post by Wing »

1.4 then, I guess I can wait :)

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

wasnt there a UDF for this?

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”