The Deck Tool

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: The Deck Tool

Post by Azhrei »

There's actually a decktool-1.0.b2.jar file in the MapTool project. But it's not referenced from anywhere and I don't know what the contents even look like.

I'm working to get the current code base into Git 'cuz we're going to start using that at some point, and while working on that I came across the JAR file.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Naw, that seems to be a Lib:Deck token that does all the work in MTscript. I was referring to Java code that had been compiled and was in the lib/ directory of the ZIP file that MapTool is in...

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

I know that, i was referring to wings desire for a deck solution, which for now, that seems to be the most readily available answer.

hiblagrande
Kobold

Post by hiblagrande »

I like the idea of a deck tool. I would love to be able to set up a game of Arkham horror or Zombies!!! and play with my friends across the country. Scanning in all those game pieces and decks would be a chore though.I think a customizable size two sided token creator type tool would be useful in creating the cards.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Azhrei wrote:Naw, that seems to be a Lib:Deck token that does all the work in MTscript. I was referring to Java code that had been compiled and was in the lib/ directory of the ZIP file that MapTool is in...
DeckTool contains 3 source files that are models for Deck, Card, and DeckDefinition (actually, that last is an interface). That's all there is at this point.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Really if there were some good macro functions to interact with tables then we could quickly and easily get deck like functions with only a few lines.

Jade
Giant

Post by Jade »

Now that 1.3 is just about final, do we have any idea where this is in the list of priorities for 1.4?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Jade wrote:Now that 1.3 is just about final, do we have any idea where this is in the list of priorities for 1.4?
It won't be unless someone REALLY want's to do the dev work to get it integrated AND it does not require a large effort to plug into the existing code(doubtful). There is existing code for a deck tool, however, it is fairly small and useless at this point.. more like a specification starting point that any real usable code from what I have been told.

1.4 has some very specific goals in mind and a very small number of user visible features are being added. The main things which will affect users is:
  • Changes in the code behind light/vision/VBL to make it work faster/better
  • Movement Blocking(I am not 100% sure that this will make it or not...have not checked the latest status)
  • Implementation of Javascript
  • UI changes to how lights and sight are configured
I am sure there are 1 or two other small items I am missing, but the idea is smaller, more frequent releases major releases. 1.3 went on for way longer than it should have due to various reasons.

EDIT: blah.. knew I was missing some stuff. Here is a high level overview of what is planned.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Jade
Giant

Post by Jade »

That lists "support for card decks/hands etc." Anyway, I'm excited for the continuing improvements to Maptool.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Jade wrote:That lists "support for card decks/hands etc." Anyway, I'm excited for the continuing improvements to Maptool.
Ah... It's not something I recall(though... my memory is pretty darn bad!) us talking about on the dev list. Of course... that list could still be in flux for some of the things that are not near the top of that list, so don't count your chickens before they are in Maptool...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”