Slight addition to the Dice Roller and macros in MT

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

heruca wrote:That's a pretty cool game mechanic.
Yes it is. The Hero system really is one of the best game systems out that, but many people find it too math intensive or slow for their tastes. To each his own I always say. ;)

When it comes to playing a Superhero there is no better system out there that I have found.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

jay wrote:Can you have half d6 rolls in explosions? Do they get removed first or last?
Yes, you can have 1/2d6 in explosions and they would be the last to go.

The fade rate needs to be definable when the dice are rolled as well because there can be different fade rates the default is always 1 die/1" and it goes up from there.

ImageImage

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

RPMiller wrote:
heruca wrote:That's a pretty cool game mechanic.
Yes it is. The Hero system really is one of the best game systems out that, but many people find it too math intensive or slow for their tastes. To each his own I always say. ;)

When it comes to playing a Superhero there is no better system out there that I have found.
I played Champions eons ago and thought it was the best super hero game out there. I disliked the phase movment though. It made for slow combat for most folks as there was at least one guy that was a super speedster that had all the fun.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

RPMiller wrote:
jay wrote:Can you have half d6 rolls in explosions? Do they get removed first or last?
Yes, you can have 1/2d6 in explosions and they would be the last to go.
Are you sure the 1/2d is always the last? I thought it still went in size order. It is completely possible you could roll a 3 on a 1/2d while all of the others were 2 or 1.

Do you have a 5th ed page reference on this?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

/derail
RPTroll wrote:I played Champions eons ago and thought it was the best super hero game out there. I disliked the phase movment though. It made for slow combat for most folks as there was at least one guy that was a super speedster that had all the fun.
Interesting... the phased movement for me is one of the things that sets it apart from other systems. I think that speed factor really comes down to the GM though. If the GM runs it very methodical and mechanical it can be a bit "ehn" for some. The key there is to remember that everyone is actually attacking essentially at the same time, but more often.

It is a common pitfall that many RPG gamers fall into with combat in RPGs. There is this initiative system and gamers think that means, "you go, then I go", but what it really means is that we all go at the same time, but my hit lands before your hit. You have to make the choice of being offensive or defensive going in. It really is more of a dance when done correctly than many realize.

Speedsters should never be having all the fun. Sure they get to hit a lot, but they should be balanced enough with the rest of the group that their multiple attacks do the equivalent of a single attack from other party members, but again that is a GM issue.

/derail

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Phergus wrote:Are you sure the 1/2d is always the last? I thought it still went in size order. It is completely possible you could roll a 3 on a 1/2d while all of the others were 2 or 1.

Do you have a 5th ed page reference on this?
My bad. You are correct. The highest value goes away first. Good catch.

ImageImage

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Cool. I don't play Hero Systems enough to confidant about the little details in the rules like that. It was certainly possible that I had missed something.

apblank
Kobold

Post by apblank »

I just wanted to add my voice in this topic as a hero systems player on two things.

First, Explosions can become even more complicated if the explosion is "killing" damage rather then traditional "normal" damage. In that case you remove 1/3 of the die per distance step. This can become a headache, so as a GM I like to avoid these.

Second, I'm very happy to hear that people are considering an option to add the ability to see all the dice results. I strongly second the idea of being able to roll something like

<<10d6>> to see results like (4,3, 6, 2, 3, 2, 1, 4, 5, 2) -> 32

Champions / Hero Systems really does best when you can see your actual individual dice rolls. My group still uses maptools 1.1 because of this. 1.1 shows all the dice rolls. I'm itching to use the "vision" features of 1.2, but I just can't until I can see all the dice rolls.

All in all, maptools is a great product, and I frankly thank you guys every week when my online group gets together. I've been using maptools for almost a year now, and I can't imagine not having it.

Thanks,

Andy

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

You can see all the dice already. Just make your roll like this:
[1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6]

As for Killing Explosion, you would change the drop off rate. It won't be any more complex. You just have to do an extra step on your end just like you would if you weren't using MT.

ImageImage

apblank
Kobold

Post by apblank »

Thanks for that. its appreciated. I knew about that work around, but my players and I find it inconvenient. In champions / hero systems, you can wind up rolling 10+ dice at once (up to 14 in my game many times). Yes, I could create 14 macros for 1d6, 2d6, 3d6, etc. up to 14d6, but then there is also the occasional 19d6 or 20d6 roll needed as well. Its highly variable depending upon the situation. Its not insurmountable, but it is inconvenient. All my players also have to create these macros as well. It's been easier to simply stay on 1.1 for now.

On a more generic note, I would say that while maptools does an excellent job of mimicking a table top game remotely, it can't ever emulate all the possible die mechanics out there. In fact there are likely new games and new die mechanics yet invented which shall come along at some point. A great feature would be to have the ability to easily declare any roll, and see all the results. This most closely and conveniently mimics simply rolling the dice and looking at them. That feature alone would future proof the die roller in my mind, because it could then be easily used for any purpose.

Thanks again to all who work on this tool, and those who help out in the forums.

Andy

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”