A tool that helps players find eachother and GM's Quickly

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

JoeCrow
Kobold

A tool that helps players find eachother and GM's Quickly

Post by JoeCrow »

I think it would be great if something was implemented that enabled players to find eachother and to find GM/DM's. Ive had an extremely hard time finding people for my favorite VTT. Just a suggestion

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: A tool that helps players find eachother and GM's Quickl

Post by wolph42 »

I don't think I'm quite following you here. We have this forum that (among other things) has exactly that function?!?! If you're referring at building something into MT... that would be plain silly. Imagine to put your game online and then....staring at the MT screen waiting for something to happen??
OR post something like 'LFG, timezone, gametype, numPlayers, etc.' and people can react to that...which is called a forum...

what you're looking for is critical mass and TBH I don't think you will find that here. The larger the communities, the faster you'll find a group. Most MT users have a group and e.g. due to the fact that they need to geographically split up, start looking for a VTT. Hence we hardly ever see these people on the forum. Targeting these people INSIDE of MT would be seen as annoyance which would only scare people away.

Hence what you're *really* looking for is either a larger community OR a specific LFG community (no clue whether those exist).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I don't think he was saying inside the MT app but perhaps a more dedicated and customize feature of the site to help players find each other rather than just posting to the forums. I'm not sure if I know of any popular sites dedicated to gamers connecting to each other than through message boards. Perhaps something like meetup.com but for VTTs where geography isn't limiting factor.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

then i misunderstood. Point remains though: some critical mass is required to get this done and you have the issue that as soon as a group has formed... they're not looking anymore.
I think overall, this is a tough pickle to crack. But at least you will need a large community somehow.

JoeCrow
Kobold

Post by JoeCrow »

You make a valid pont, where i was going with it was a new tool, sort of like how maptool , just as an example, can connect to servers. It could be an interactive group finder, or even a que, like in a video game when your waiting to get into a dungeon with a group.You tell the system what Dungeon you want, what type of player you are (example tank healer DPS) or in this case player or DM or whatever, and helps you to connect. you could preview these people so its nnot 100 percent random by using a messaging client, so they can be interviewed by the DM or whomever is hosting the group, and decide if there a good fit. I just personally have had no luck with forums, and ive had maptools for almost a year (since last christmas) ive actually been banned from some for to many LFG postings lol. It was just a suggestion, that maybe could spark a functional idea. thats all i was getting at

JoeCrow
Kobold

Post by JoeCrow »

Now obviousl its more complex than how i described it. I just think it would be an innovative method for virtual tabletop gamming

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Pen & Paper Games has one of the better forum-built tools for finding players and games.

Players and GM's create LFG profiles that others can peruse and you can set yourself up for alerts when new profiles that meet your requirements are created. It's somewhat geared toward local games, but I've had success recruiting for online games after posting and looking through profiles for players I was interested in.

As mentioned in another thread reddit is also a great place.

If you're not getting responses to your recruitment efforts your should look at a couple things:

1) The quality of your LFG/P posts. There might be a reason people are avoiding them. Look at LFG/P posts that appear to be getting lots of responses and figure out what you're doing wrong.

2) The popularity of the game you're recruiting for. If it's pretty obscure you should look at the publisher's own forums and be hitting up the publisher to create a hub for their users to get games together (if they don't already have one). They have a vested interest in getting players together to play their games.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JoeCrow wrote:ive actually been banned from some for to many LFG postings lol.
This isn't surprising. This isn't the only place that I've seen you carpet bomb the forums for games.

Believe it or not, that sort of "enthusiasm" scares people away.

You should start thinking about the quality of your postings, not the quantity.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JoeCrow
Kobold

Post by JoeCrow »

Thanks, will do. (:

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”