Maptool 3D

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Maptool 3D

Post by galneweinhaw »

Hello. I'm a long-time-ago micro-contributor to and use of MapTool. Does anyone know of any 3D game-engine based Virtual Table Tops? I noticed that Fantasy Grounds is heading to Unity but their preview are still 2D. Just putting some feelers out there to see if there are any developers interested in starting a 3D FOSS VTT project based in Unity or maybe Godot... Like a MapTool 2.0 (or MapTool3D)
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Maptool 3D

Post by Full Bleed »

galneweinhaw wrote:Hello. I'm a long-time-ago micro-contributor to and use of MapTool. Does anyone know of any 3D game-engine based Virtual Table Tops? I noticed that Fantasy Grounds is heading to Unity but their preview are still 2D. Just putting some feelers out there to see if there are any developers interested in starting a 3D FOSS VTT project based in Unity or maybe Godot... Like a MapTool 2.0 (or MapTool3D)
There is a nice unity based 3D Table Top Simulator... but it doesn't have most of the bells and whistles of the popular VTT's. It's great at emulating true tabletop play though. Check out my musing on it here.

A unity based MT with 3D and physics that was backward compatible would be absolutely incredible.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”