what about this?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Gallery authentication is a little different.

Go to the RPTools front page
Go to the Gallery link
Click register and follow the procedure

When this is done you can get to your album after logging in to the gallery. There will be a My Album link on the top right. Upload to your heart's content. Note there is a 2MB file size limit though.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

wounded_badger, I'd love to see a screeny of your map and tokens in action :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

Well I got them up..some of the screen shots didn't come out well..but on the game they are crystal clear...anyone want to play? (hit me up at [email protected]) I am on the east coast! I am planning on doing every race and multiple chapters for the Space Marines & Chaos and Eldar etc., it doesn't take long to get all the tokens done so it's easily doable.

I Love 40K!!!

Scott,

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

And for those that want to see them here is the link:

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/wounded_badger/

EDIT: Bummer the backgrounds in the tokens aren't transparent. :(
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

sorry still getting the hang of things, but I thought it was easier just to match them with the terrain...how do you make them transparent, before or after you screenshot them or in the token tool? this also was not done with the new version as I just found that today

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

They would have to start off as having transparency, er... translucence.

You would do that it a graphic editor and save it as a png. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the token ring either and just have them be "top down" tokens, but that is just me.

Assuming you don't have a graphic editor you might check out the GIMP. It is free and just as powerful as PhotoShop and fairly easy to learn from what I hear.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

oops missed the second page.

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

It sounds like it would take a lot of work to crop just the model and I figured I would keep it like the bases on the models for the tabletop (but sounds worth looking into...but each to his own I guess...it works and I am happy with it) ...just got to finish all the other armies and relevant chapters and factions etc., The top down thing I thought of, but it really didn't give it any aesthetic appeal when I looked at it, so it would be like having faceless or just plain army men on the table...I have been playing 40k for like 12 years now and it is all about seeing the models as much as possible, still looking into the possibility of taking pictures of real ones and using them, but they would not match the board as well I think. BTW finished 4 complete games so far on that board with different missions its flawless game play!!!

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I hate to bring this up, but I think it needs to be asked. If you take a screen shot of 3d models in a video game and distribute them for another purpose is that a copyright violation? Or does it fall under Fair Use since you aren't making money or competing with its original purpose?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dLANbandit wrote:I hate to bring this up, but I think it needs to be asked. If you take a screen shot of 3d models in a video game and distribute them for another purpose is that a copyright violation?
It's pretty clearly infringement.

I don't believe that fair use extends to distributing to anyone and everyone.

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

Well I look at it like this, if they want to come after me go for it, but I highly doubt they will bother. There are so many MODS out there for the Dawn of War game itself and no one is beating down there door. Could they say something? Sure they could, would they win in a lawsuit? No, no wrong doing has been done. There are also other programs out there that have been made based off the game, but anything could happen. If I was passing it off as something it wasn't or mine as far as money is concerned then yeah they could definitely come after me, but for my own personal enjoyment and sharing it with friends....they do not have a case. They would have to prove in court without a shadow of a doubt that I was doing it to undermine the company, and make a profit and show in sales how it was undermining their profits. It isn't going to happen. But good point though..btw, family of lawyers.

Skyryder
Kobold

Post by Skyryder »

While a work may be copyrighted, there is also the doctrine of Fair Use that mucks up the law a bit. So instead of being a black and white issue, it's more like 256 shades of grey. You can find out more about 'Fair Use' in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act;

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

And I quote;

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include —

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Clearly, using copyrighted sources within a new work such as a token is a grey area. Otherwise PhotoShop sites such as www.Worth1000.com (where there are clearly works that incorporate copyrighted material) would be actively being prosecuted. And they're not.
"But that's not the way Dark vision works in the real world."

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

That's what I am talking about :)...anyway I have a question....is there any way to take my custom Macros buttons and make then so I can just transfer them to another computer like my laptop on the maptool program there so I do not have to retype everything? AND is there a way to make more buttons?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

wounded_badger wrote:That's what I am talking about :)...anyway I have a question....is there any way to take my custom Macros buttons and make then so I can just transfer them to another computer like my laptop on the maptool program there so I do not have to retype everything? AND is there a way to make more buttons?
Not currently. The Macro panel is lined up for a complete rework.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

I can't wait...btw your token is bigger than mine (I'm envious)
"If only work didn't get in the way of games!!!"

Scott

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”