Custom dice values

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

TempusAvatar
Kobold

Custom dice values

Post by TempusAvatar »

First off, I'd like to say hello; I'm a new poster, and although I've only downloaded and examined the various tools that have been created, I look forward to doing some gaming with them in the near future. I'd like to say that I'm very impressed with what I've played around with so far, and I'm sure that I've only begun to scratch the surface.

I've been searching for a dice tool online for a while to facilitate my gaming, but unfortunately I have yet to find one with the features I would like to see. This includes dicetool.

There are a lot of board games on the current market that require special custom dice (a lot of Fantasy Flight Games' products come to mind.) I've been looking for an online dice tool that can emulate these dice. The requirements would be as follows:

1) The ability to assign custom values to a dice. For example, instead of rolling a d6 and having values of 1 through 6, a user could assign a table such as where:
1=blue
2=yellow
3=red
4=green
5=black
6=white
and save this to a macro (or such similar function) so that when required to roll this "color" die, the output would be the text value, instead of the numerical value.

2) The ability to save these table presets and load up multiple different presets at the same time. For example, say you had a game that involved two specialty dice, the one above and another, say:
1=lightning bolt
2=star
3=exclamation point
4=skull
5=X
6=blank
so that when rolled together, you would get results such as Blue Star, or Red Skull. It would be necessary for the program to retain both of these presets at the same time.

I really don't know that much about coding, and I kind of feel like a bum, making my first post a request. How difficult would something like be to impliment? My main goal is to play board games online, and I feel that MapTool is an amazing product that could very well facilitate this, as one could easily drop or draw almost any game board onto the virtual table. That being said, for most of today's boardgames, this is only a third of the equation. The other two parts are a dice rolling tool (the one I just described,) and some kind of card drawing tool. I see that there is a topic already started about some sort of DeckTool, and I think that a lot of gamers would have use for such a product, as well as the dice editing options I presented earlier.

Keep up the good work, and thank you very much for your contributions to the digital gaming community!

-TempAv

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Welcome to the forums TempusAvatar !

You can do that staring with 1.3b16.

Look in Edit->Campaign Properties->Tables

Add your table with roll->value then just:

/tbl yourTableName

(Note: right now the table names are case sensitive)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

TempusAvatar
Kobold

Post by TempusAvatar »

Thank you for the quick reply!

I believe I didn't see that feature because I have the previous build downloaded; I'll have to get the newer build.

I'm not sure if anyone's familliar with some of the FFG products that have special dice. Games like Descent, or Runebound, or War of the Ring.

Descent has a really interesting damage/range calculation system, and it's all driven with different color dice that function the same way, but have different values. The dice faces each have different numerical values and heart icons on them; the numerical values represent the # of spaces away your attack reaches (for ranged weapons) and the hearts indicate how much damage you deal. Some dice have more hearts and less (or no) range numbers (for heavy melee weapons) and some dice have high range numbers but less hearts (for light range weapons.)

Runebound has a terrain dice, indicating which hexes you can travel through.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Interesting dice mechanic.

Are the dice images copyrighted? I would imagine so.

TempusAvatar
Kobold

Post by TempusAvatar »

I'm not overly concerned with the graphical representation. As long as I'm able to roll damage/range for my crossbow (which is determined by 1 blue die and one green die) and it's expressed properly as

Table Blue = 3 range, 1 dmg, 1 surge
Table Green = 0 range, 3 dmg

I'm able to tell at a glance that I did 4 damage to a target 3 spaces or less away, with 1 surge (rolling lots of surges creates bonus modifiers.)

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”