Toplolgy included in drawing borders.

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

PillBox
Dragon

Toplolgy included in drawing borders.

Post by PillBox »

Been making some quick maps recently. And though I cannot complain about maptools, there is something I find rather annoying.

Each time you create a map, you have to set the visual bounds. Fair enough, but when your maps get big, this consumes a lot of time.

Why not have topology automatically used in maps while drawing? Maptools already allows you to draw a border, so why not automatically add the topology to this border? Would make mapping a lot quicker.

I realise in some cases the border area in the drawing tool may not actually be another room - it could be a low wall, steps, hole in the wall etc. Maybe there could be a checkbox asking if the drawing will be a 'closed box'?

Would the Maptools developers consider this approach?

Thanks for a great tool by the way guys.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I don't think the checkbox would work for me because of how often I'd have to toggle it as I was drawing. :(

But maybe another modifier key could be used? We already have Control to toggle snap-to-grid and Shift to toggle draw/erase. Maybe add the Alt modifier to mean topology should be added around a drawing?

This could get tricky, though, since I will sometimes lay down a stamp image and then resize it -- sometimes it would be great for the topology to resize also and other times it might be best to leave the topology as-is...

Hmm...

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

In fact there's a tracker for it already:

http://tracker.rptools.net/browse/MT-51
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Ya know this isn't New Tool request it is a feature request for MapTool.

Probably should be moved to the MapTool forum along with Pillbox's other feature request.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”