New Ideas?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Grimace
Kobold

New Ideas?

Post by Grimace »

Hello all. This is my first post and I really haven't had a lot of time to navigate the forums so please forgive me if some of these ideas already exist or have been discussed in a previous post.

1. A free range measure tool. As of right now all I can do with the measuring tool is measure the squares and hexes. So another feature would be cool to make the measuring tool able to unsnap from the grid. If this can already be done please let me know how to do it.

2. Octagon spaces. I know there is already squares and hexes but octagons would also be great for wargamers like myself. It probably doesn't mean much to everyone else but it would be a nice feature to see.

3. Finally if this can be done right now or not, I do not know but I have been working with the Token making tool and can only make a small token image. I think it would be awesome if the tool had the capability to add the image of the token and the stats of it like you can in the maptools while making the token in the token maker. That way while your making the token you don't have to fill out all that info while making the map. You can just place your token and BAM you have all the scroll over imaging and stats for it.

Well those are just a few of my thoughts, once again sorry if its a repost of stuff already discussed or if it is things that already can be done. If thats the case please let me know how some of these can be accomplished.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Wrong forum but...

Octagons? While I've seen hundreds of wargames using hexes, I've never seen one using octagons. Octagons don't form perfect tessellations.

At some point TokenTool will probably gain the ability to create MapTool tokens with properties and whatnot.

Grimace
Kobold

Post by Grimace »

I can't say I have seen many games that use octagons but I thought a lot of mek games did. Though even if they didnt I thought it might be a nice incoperation as to give movement a more free form instead of completely free movement like most wargames are. I was just thinking of an online play form of it. At any rate I think that was one of my lesser hopes because simply unsnapping the token from the grid works perfectly. Just a free form measuring stick and a more advanced token tool would rock.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

If you create your map with no grid, then the measuring tool is free-form.

Grimace
Kobold

Post by Grimace »

Awesome...thanks for the idea...I will have to try that out.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Phergus wrote:At some point TokenTool will probably gain the ability to create MapTool tokens with properties and whatnot.
Actually, I'd like to see this code injected into InitiativeTool. Currently, there's no way to save an individual combatant file.

The ideal situation would be for TokenTool to be able to create MapTool tokens (with stats and all) which could also be dragged into InitiativeTool. I understand that they hope to integrate these tools with one another, but this option would be a powerful interim solution.

Benz72
Giant

Post by Benz72 »

Wouldn't it just be easier to have a completely integrated character tool? snap in a picture and fill in the game specific template (or import from GCA or some other game's character creation program)?

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

CharacterTool has been developed since this thread.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”