Table Suggestions b27+

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

RedDog
Dragon

Table Suggestions b27+

Post by RedDog »

Hey Trevor,

I know that updated table interface is fairly new, but I was wondering if you considered adding a list view so the table names can be fully displayed similar to the prior interface. I have several tables with similar names and I think it would make editing easier.

Another thought I had was having the ability to 'hide' a table in the Table Window. For instance, I have several tables that call other tables depending on the die roll. I really don't need to see the sub-tables, just the main table. My suggestion would be to be able to add a check box on a table giving it the option of being hidden and then a button next to the add/delete button to actually hide them.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I'm with you on the hidden tables
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I could create a "Hidden" property on the edit table form, and a Show Hidden toggle on the table list.

the list view is more involved but is do-able. Although I'd much prefer to see if we can figure out how to make the icon view more usable, because it will also help the library view improve (since it uses the same mechanism)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I've been using the icon view, which is where it's proving irritating
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Cweord wrote:I've been using the icon view, which is where it's proving irritating
Exactly, it would be good to figure out a way to make the icon view more useful
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Some form or grouping function - the icon view is already useful for quickly finding what you want but being able to quickly and easily break the tables in to groups, and separate them slightly would help if you had lots of tables.

They have already come on a long way since you first implemented them, I do like the idea of using them to see the dice you roll.

Otherwise all they need is to be able to be used in a multiple form (for the said dice, or to draw multiple cards). To be able to call them from a macro with a don't repeat switch would be good. Otherwise all I desire in the world is to be able to use called properties as the variable - with maybe an addable variable box similar to the one you get in macros if there is no properties with that id.

See, I have only been back 5 mins and I am already thinking up lists of things for you to do . . . .
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

kat2cute
Dragon

table properties

Post by kat2cute »

Well, the tables still do no fully utilize their current properties. As of now, a table with both a value and an imagining will only output the image and not the value. I'm imagining dice tables used in place of normal macros where both images and an actual value could be outputted. More Math options would probably be available, such as only displaying the image of a 6 of a six sided die but adding a value of 6 in a macro involving that table, or summing up images and outputting the result of several table images.

On this same vein of thought, is it possible to make a table that, for example, rolled between 1 and 6 [d6] for each value, showed the appropriate number of dice for the initial roll, and showed the correct value on each dice...then totaled these all up at the end. I like to be able to see every value of the dice that was rolled. So if a 3 was called from the table, it would show 3 dice, each with the correct or appropriate face value, and a summation of their totals.
I suppose this would require calling other tables from the first table, and doing math on the values from these tables. As far as I tried, you can't call multiple tables inside another table's value column, and it doesn't sum the math either. You can make a table ranging in value from /s[d6] to /s[d6+d6+d6+d6+d6+d6] and that does the math, but it doesn't show the corresponding images.

The final bit of table functionality I'd like to see is to be able to save tables the same way macros and tokens are. As of now, other than the default tables, they are campaign specific and would have to be recreated in order to be used in multiple campaigns
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

they get saved in campaign properties if you export them
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

The list view is more involved but is do-able. Although I'd much prefer to see if we can figure out how to make the icon view more usable, because it will also help the library view improve (since it uses the same mechanism)
I can understand wanting the icon view to be 'the view'. After all, now that it has icons, it has the potential to look pretty good (heck, it's pretty cool now). As a comparison, I never use the icon view in Windows Explorer. I just find the detail list view more efficient to use because there is just so much more information in a given amount of space. Now, if there was a way to improve the icon view, you would think that Microsoft would have (ah, nevermind, scratch that last comment...what was I thinking??!?) ;).

Anyway. I think that the icon view with the pretty pictures is a nice addition to the table interface, especially with the ability to activate a table from the window...but it can make editing so frustrating when you have a lot of tables with similar names. I really cannot see a set up for icons that will come close to matching the effectiveness of some sort of list view.

...and since you brought it up, I would LOVE to see a list view for the folder contents of the Resource Library as well...because I'm sure you don't have enough TODOs on your project list already...heh. :D

It's too bad that the Map Explorer View wouldn't easily translate.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”