Tool Ideas

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Pancor
Kobold

Tool Ideas

Post by Pancor »

My DnD group and I are considering using this for our meetings, and we came up with a few things we'd like to see...

Spell Tool: Allows the DM to create a spell reference list, along with a built in spell-per-day counter, eliminates a lot of book-flipping.

Stat Tool: Lists HP, AC, and the six primary stats, along with an engine to change them, based on whether you take damage or miss, again, eliminates a lot of book-flipping.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Like a campaign detail manager ? There are several tools out there to do that kind of thing, I wonder if we can figure out how to integrate maptool with them ?

At the same time, if we can't find one that we can integrate with, or none of them have what we're (you) are looking for, we can hammer out some details and put something together.

Does anyone know of specific programs to do this kind of thing ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

Yes DM Genie does this kind of thing and more. I currently use it for my game and love it.

http://www.dmgenie.com

I would email Janik and see if he is willing to do some kind of integration.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cool, I think I will contact them.

At some point all the tools will be integrated, so if, for example, you type into your campaign manager that a character now has 0 HP, it will automatically put a "dead/dying" state on your token in maptool.

Pancor, one thing that people are doing is sizing MapTool to take up some percentage of their screen, then starting up one of these other tools and sizing it to fill the rest of the screen.

Emryys, do you have those pictures that showed you doing that still ?

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Yep, will upload shortly...

Image shack is doing Maitenance ATM... :(
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Super cool, thanks !

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Here is a thread with pics of Maptool being used with GRiP and other tools over on the GRiP Boards

Imageshack is still fiddlin' :roll:

Comments?
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

I think it's cool. Now, if we can get all the individual tools to talk to each other, that would be pretty sweet !

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

May I suggest that you guys download the Free trial of GRiP only to see it's version of online RPGing. The newer ones (Klooge, Battlegrounds) have a more "graphic centric" approach, as opposed to GRiP's programmable character sheets and chat features. It may give you guys some good ideas. :)
You seem to have the mapping ideas coming along well and you can see how CSML and the file transfer and whiper stuff work...

GRiP Free Trials

No this is not a plug. I want to see you guys develop more and better tools, that are cross platform. I'll use them with GRiP... for now ;)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'll take a look, thanks for the links :)

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”