Updated Map Explorer

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

kat2cute
Dragon

Updated Map Explorer

Post by kat2cute »

While discussing issues of identifying or remembering what properties you assigned to a token or object in a different thread, a new feature request came up:
"It would be useful to be able to do map-wide searches of properties and things like which tokens a player has ownership of and what tokens/objects have been assigned light sources. My friend made a big map and can't seem to get vision back to 1000ft, probably because he assigned light to some single object in the map, which he can't seem to find again. Having a search function would make turning all the lights off in a map or knowing if you forgot to take permissions for NPCs away from your players really obvious."

Dorpond recommended:
"The more I think of it, the more I think Map Explorer would be the perfect place to find many odd but important things. For example, have a column for Light and if any tokens or stamps have light assigned to them, there would be a * in that column. We could then click on whatever column to change the ordering and such. Something to discuss in a different thread for sure."

This would make the map explorer more useful for players, as well as an invaluable resource for the GM. As it is now there are 'search' categories for tokens, players, GM, objects, and background. If making NPCs GM controlled only, that would solve the problem of players having permissions of them and not knowing it, and if they needed permissions they would be in the players search list in map explorer.
However, having more categories like Dorpond said, maybe subcategories related to the connections window which would identify which tokens each connected person/s has ownership of. Lighting is the main reason this would be important for me, but I could see other people wanting to be able to quickly find all tokens with a certain status (dead) or which are 'visible to players' on the map.
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Just FYI this forum is for new tool requests (MapTool, TokenTool, CharTool, etc.).

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”