Old Rolemaster Crit tables in 4E

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

barinax
Giant

Old Rolemaster Crit tables in 4E

Post by barinax »

Guys,

I am not sure if this should be in tool requests, general discussion or where, but here is my idea.

For any of you out there that ever played any version of Rolemaster, undoubtedly you will remember the critical strike or critical fumble tables as one of the most fun aspects of the game (+20HP damage, your melt your targets head. Go fetch a mop). Has anyone come up with a conversion/integreation to build this into DnD 4e? I know the numbers would have to be adjusted, but being able to cut off a leg, arm or disembowl your target with a lucky shot is a bit more fun that just doing max weapon damage.

Here are my thoughts:
1. No max weapon damage on a crit. Instead you roll a D100 on the appropriate Rolemater crit table and get any extra damage from there.
2. Cut the extra HP damage in half to be more in line with the lower hitpoints in 4E.
3.When choosing an A throu E crit table, let it be tied to the amount of damage dealt by the blow. I.E. Dealing 1-4 HP with the normal weapon hit gets no crit roll, dealing 5-8 HP is a roll on an A crit table, 9-12 HP is a B crit, 13-16 is a C, 16-20 is a D and 21+ is an E crit.

So here are a few examples:
1. The wizard casts magic missle and rolls a 20. Instead of max damage, he does a normal 2d4+int roll and does 7 points of damage. 7 HP damage is a roll on the "A" critical table, so he rolls a D100 and gets the result of 85. Read the 85 crit and apply half rolemaster damage along with any other effects as determined by the 85 result.

2. The rogue sneak attacks his target and rolls a 20. His normal damage roll is 1d6+Dex (for his weapon) along with an additional 2d6 for his sneak attack and he rolls a total of 17 damage, which would be a roll on the "D" critical table. He rolls a D100 and gets the result of 100(WOOT!) you apply half of the damage as well as any other effects as described by the 100 roll (which would probably 1 shot kill the target in this case).

The upside is that the GM, while having to look up on a few more books for these results,would not have to imagine all of the attack descriptions as they are spelled out in gruesome detail in the Rolemaster critical tables. The downside to this is the fact that you CAN 1 shot kill a normal target if you roll well enough, and this also includes the PCs. As a GM, there was nothing like your big bad fighter getting taken out by a lucky shot from a level 1 orc hiding behind a rock and watching the player cry like a 2 year old. :twisted:

What do you think?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Once token property syntax has been shaken out, you should be able to automate this in b39 or higher by calling the new tbl() syntax and using appropriate macro commands (if's ,etc). You would first have to create the tables, and then build up the "sub macro" code to call on a crit hit.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

jfrazierjr wrote:Once token property syntax has been shaken out, you should be able to automate this in b39 or higher by calling the new tbl() syntax and using appropriate macro commands (if's ,etc). You would first have to create the tables, and then build up the "sub macro" code to call on a crit hit.
Thanks for the reply JF. Do you know if there is a way to save tables? I went through the trouble of creating a tarot card table then it was gone the next time I fired up Maptool.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

barinax wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Once token property syntax has been shaken out, you should be able to automate this in b39 or higher by calling the new tbl() syntax and using appropriate macro commands (if's ,etc). You would first have to create the tables, and then build up the "sub macro" code to call on a crit hit.
Thanks for the reply JF. Do you know if there is a way to save tables? I went through the trouble of creating a tarot card table then it was gone the next time I fired up Maptool.
tables are saved inside campaigns, if you failed to save your campaign (or did not open that campaign afterward) then that would explain it. At this point, I do not think that there is any way to export/import tables so they can be used in multiple campaigns, but I am not 100%
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

jfrazierjr wrote:
barinax wrote:
tables are saved inside campaigns, if you failed to save your campaign (or did not open that campaign afterward) then that would explain it. At this point, I do not think that there is any way to export/import tables so they can be used in multiple campaigns, but I am not 100%
I think I heard you can find them in the XML of the campaign zip file, and that soon there will be an easy to use table export feature?

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

jfrazierjr wrote:
barinax wrote:
I think I heard you can find them in the XML of the campaign zip file

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Mathemagician wrote:I think I heard you can find them in the XML of the campaign zip file
Yea, I know that... I just meant a UI way (and thus something a non technical person could do). If someone messes up their campaign file by modifying it incorrectly they may loose a lot more than just a few custom made tables....

Munchkin75
Kobold

Post by Munchkin75 »

Ahh, a fellow evil GM :twisted: I've been using the Rolemaster crit tables since first edition AD&D and my players love it. This is what I have done in in past versions (in addition to max damage):

>>Reduce the extra damage a bit on the higher crits. (case by case basis)

>>Left bleeding as is

>>Rounds of stun reduced by half (round down)

>>Convert the attack penalty from d100 to d20 (i.e. divide by 5) and apply that to all to hit, save, and physical skill checks until wound is healed.

>>The "must parry" and "can't parry" I just turned into one round of fighting defensively (or whatever it's called) where you can't attack but you can add your attack bonus into your AC.

>>Depending on the duration and feel of the campaign, I either left instant death crits as is or scaled them back to just extra dmg + other effects.

>>As for rolling, I did d6-1 to determine table (A-E). Rolling a 1 meant that you just got max damage and no crit roll.

I probably wont be changing this much, if at all for 4e. One thought I did have was to use tables A&B for heroic tier, C&D for paragon and E for epic. I am interested in your idea for partially scaling the crit to amount of dmg dealt so that on average the strikers will have slightly better crits than others, hmm.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”