Lighting and Line-of-Sight Functionality

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dglas
Cave Troll

Lighting and Line-of-Sight Functionality

Post by dglas »

I'd like to see some map properties that allow for modifications of map functions, in particular the line of sight feature. Imagine, if you will, a cave with dense greenish fog that is intended to limit vision. Now, so far the reveal or "expose" function has, to my knowledge, no way of dealing with this, leaving the GM to manually do reveals. A host of map options that do things like restrict light and vision ranges, permit one way lines of sight, impose light colour modifications (perhaps a "transparency overlay" visible to the players or something like that) etc., would be nice.

Along the same lines, it would be nice to have a map function that allows for one-way lines of sight for cliff edges and the like. Perhaps lines of impassability that do not restrict vision (pits, lakes, walls of force, etc.)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Good thoughts dglas, actually I think most of those are already on the roadmap, down the line.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I'd love to be able to have a Trigger layer which could have scripts attached to them and fire off the scripts when certain conditions are met. Actually, with all the stuff that keeps getting added to maptool, it's almost going to be a 2d neverwinter nights still program, but without a specific game it's created for.

Although I think that kind of tool should be created from the ground up, instead of trying to shoehorn maptool into that kind of game.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

I think once we're able to have a "dark" light source (e.g. - Darkness), we will be halfway there. What it won't do yet is block line of sight beyond that source.

I think three features could help with this.
  1. Moveable AoE templates.
  2. Topology being appended to drawing tools when toggled, including for AoE templates.
  3. Colored darkness sources to counter light sources, and possibly a means to append topology to them.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Amaril wrote:I think once we're able to have a "dark" light source (e.g. - Darkness), we will be halfway there. What it won't do yet is block line of sight beyond that source.

2. Topology being appended to drawing tools when toggled, including for AoE templates.
  3. Colored darkness sources to counter light sources, and possibly a means to append topology to them.
AoE are currently movable after your first click you hold the Ctrl key down and can adjust it's position.
--
Big Mac

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Big_Mac wrote:
Amaril wrote:I think once we're able to have a "dark" light source (e.g. - Darkness), we will be halfway there. What it won't do yet is block line of sight beyond that source.

AoE are currently movable after your first click you hold the Ctrl key down and can adjust it's position.
Yes I know, but once you set it down, it's stuck. Imagine a moving darkness effect or a flaming sphere. Granted, colored darkness sources could fix the first, and flaming sphere could just be an object.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Amaril wrote:
Big_Mac wrote:

Yes I know, but once you set it down, it's stuck. Imagine a moving darkness effect or a flaming sphere. Granted, colored darkness sources could fix the first, and flaming sphere could just be an object.
Ah, I understand now.
--
Big Mac

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”